Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with Great Pyrenees on your deer lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experience with Great Pyrenees on your deer lease?

I'm talking to a rancher about leasing his place. He doesn't have any cattle, but he runs a herd of goats. He has one Great Pyrenees dog out with them now and says he needs to add another dog to his place to protect the goats. He is very proactive about killing predators to protect his goats, so that's good for the deer fawn crop too. My only question is about the dog(s) and whether they will chase deer and be a problem or not. He said he's never seen his dog chasing deer, but he had a dog that was half Australian Shepherd a few years ago that would chase deer. He said he sees deer grazing inside 100 yards from his goats and dog all the time now.

What about GP? I've never been around them. Is his current dog typical of the breed, in that she doesn't chase deer? Or are they a problem on a deer lease?

For me the goats are more of an issue than the dog. How many acres and how many goats?

Comment

I've been around a few. Typically they are working dogs and stay with the herd. I wouldn't worry about it. Goats and sheep scare me more than that pooch!

Comment

I will never (did I mention NEVER) hunt a place with goats again. But if the GP keep them in check and away from the hunting areas, it might be worth it.

Comment

Shared a lease with Skylar one year and there was one that ran with the land owners goats. It never left the goats and never bothered anything. It was friendly if you approached it but it would never leave the goats to come to you.
          A friend of ours in Fannin Co has one and it is friendly but you seldom ever see it. It stays out around the edge of the property guarding for intruders and protecting his chickens. Cool dogs in a way.

Comment

Great choice for sure. The ranch we hunt on has them and they are great all around. They especially were attached to the goats.

Comment

Our neighbor has one that protects his goats and sheep. I am 150-200 yards from our fence line and 800 yards from his house. I have had the dog on camera once since 2008 walking outside my feedpen in the middle of the day. None of the other guys have that I know of. I have also never seen him chasing deer and we have to pass by his house every trip to the blinds. All dogs are different but he's not even an issue to us.

We have about 60ish goats on our place with no issues (4400 acres). Good big feedpens and a camp inside a fence has made them a non factor.

Comment

We have a few goats on our family place and run two GP with them. I have never seen them bother the deer or even show interest in chasing anything that wasn't a threat to the goats. Now pigs, coyotes, bobcats, etc better watch out as those dogs mean business and don't stop till it's dead or far away.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  I will never (did I mention NEVER) hunt a place with goats again. But if the GP keep them in check and away from the hunting areas, it might be worth it.
                  I too had a bad experience with goats one time. Never again.

Comment

Shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't take my dog to the lease. Pyrenees will destroy any perceived threats

Comment

We drive through a place with goats and 4 GP's.

Numerous times I have seen deer inside of 100 yards of the goat herd with the dogs near by and they never seem to bat a eye at them.

People on the other hand..... Lets just say from opening gates around these dogs that If my truck ever breaks down at the ranch at dark I will be walking a couple miles out of the way to avoid stepping foot on the property those things are on....

One day we drove by a dead 80 pound pig near the goat pens that apparently got too close to the goats and they got ahold of it. Pretty crazy sight when a pure white fluffy dog covered in blood from the tip of its nose all the way to its front legs

Comment

I'm with the others that will never be on a place with goats ever again. Sheep and cows are bad but goats are as bad as hogs if not worse. You can't fence them out of a feeder pen. They climb like a squirrel and will destroy or eat most pop up ground blinds.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                          Shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't take my dog to the lease. Pyrenees will destroy any perceived threats
                          This!!! I have witnessed ours literally pull a grown black lab through a goat mesh fence. Thankfully we showed up when we did or that dog would of been toast. The lab was cutting through our pasture and thought just because it made it to the other side of the fence it was safe.

Comment

We have a neighbor that has goats and a GP(they don't live there,raw land).I see it at least once a weekend on our place. I've seen it chasing deer and I suppose it's only a matter of time before it's caught chasing cattle.The land owner says to kill it,if we catch it chasing cattle.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              I'm with the others that will never be on a place with goats ever again. Sheep and cows are bad but goats are as bad as hogs if not worse. You can't fence them out of a feeder pen. They climb like a squirrel and will destroy or eat most pop up ground blinds.
                              We've been 100% successful doing just that since 2008 with 11 pens. Goat wire or panels..

Comment

Working...
                              X