Trophy definition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topher View Post
    When I get that feeling. That’s my trophy!
    Same here!

Comment

A trophy buck to me personally is small compared to what others consider a trophy. However on the flip side what a trophy redfish for me personally might be bigger than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Button View Post
        A trophy buck to me personally is small compared to what others consider a trophy. However on the flip side what a trophy redfish for me personally might be bigger than others.
        My biggest was just a hair under 41". Drug me in my kayak a long way at High Island.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          My biggest was just a hair under 41". Drug me in my kayak a long way at High Island.

Hard to beat catching em out of a kayak!

Comment

A trophy is what fits your budget. Some are more fortunate than others but we all love to hunt. Just enjoy the outdoors and the time with friends.
            Quote from
            An ole hunter.

Comment

By lease rules, 130", 8 point or better, and at least 5-1/2 years old.

By my rules, don't care about score, like them to be 8 or more, and want them to be 5-1/2 or more.

Basically, if it gets my blood going and heart pumping, and I can down them, they are a trophy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBay3405 View Post
                On our ranch, a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. We have no age limit the only requirement is if you shoot a rack deer you shoulder mount it. I have not shot a WT buck in 5 years, I have shot a 33 inch axis buck, shoulder mounted on my wall. As others have said a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. My best trophy to date is a 2 year old WT doe killed with my recurve. More of a trophy to me than my axis buck killed with a rifle. Just my 2 cents.
                I am extremely management minded on my property but I’m trying to relax some. I’ve lease some hunting out for the first time and I’m trying to come up with a management plan. You know everyone only shoots mature deer until a nice 3 1/2 year old steps out! I think this is the way to do it. If someone is willing to shoulder mount it, it’s a trophy to them and that’s good enough for me. Of course, I’ve killed dozens of bucks, both wt and muleys, and I’ve never had one mounted. ��

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                  You don’t see many posting pictures of spikes, does, 120” deer( young kids not considered) . Cow elk, again spikes, two and three point bulls. And the reason we normally post pictures is to kinda show it off, some times to tell a story, or show how many of something we killed. Our avatars are not of small bucks or bulls which are considered non trophy by most people. We want to impress and have a wow check that out, where did you kill that thing, reaction. I am not saying any thing is wrong with it , it’s just the way we are. I to consider any pig, javelina, any elk, any deer with my bow, pistol or black powder rifles as trophy’s . But I hunt with and around a whole bunch of guys and many will look down there nose at you if you consider any of those any sort of , “ trophy”. I have even been told by a few they are in a “higher class “ of hunter then myself, because they would not ever consider shooting any thing less then a 320” inch bull, 170” buck, javelina are rats not worth wasting an arrow on, any pig that won’t top 200” pounds. And if you cant guarantee them a chance at that type of animal they don’t want to hunt with you. Now some put in a lot of work trying, and many decide to shoot something far smaller then they had in their mind, but they don’t go posting it on there face book pages, or most any other place. And many don’t even want their picture taken with them. Now if it’s a “ trophy “ they can’t have enough pictures taken, will drive miles to get phone reception to post their pictures on every available sight you can think of. And surely you don’t see small examples of deer and elk and such filling the trophy room walls, even if it’s only there for ourselves to see. And showing off the trophy room is for sure to show others what we have accomplished, I mean really it is.

You are correct for many but not all. Most of those showing 170 inch deer and saying they will pass spend more on hunting or protein then some make in a year. I have a personal standard I stick to that works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't seen a buck in four years that got me pumped to shoot.
                    Don't get me wrong. I'll shoot cull and management bucks. In the end they are meat. Delicious, healthy meat.
                    But after all these years, money spent and time served on good properties, mid 120s bucks are the best I've done. And that isn't a big buck to me any more. But I got sick of going into season with nothing special on the cameras, discouraged before opening day. So this year it's about shooting a mature buck. Five plus, with a trad bow, on property I'm an owner of and putting blood, sweat and money into to improve.

Seems like it's time to get out of the "easy" chair.

Comment

As many have said in this thread a trophy is all about mindset and defining a trophy based on the property you have to hunt. I am fortunate enough to have property that’s been in the family for generations and we have seen real improvement in our deer quality through management but despite that a 150 class is about the best we have ever harvested. We have to contend with the neighbors in what we call Death Valley next door who shoot anything that moves but we still pass on good deer in the hopes they will make it through to next season. This past season I got a buck early and was pretty much scouting for my dad. I was able to put him on a quality 9 that was probably mid 120s but I set it up perfectly for him. Told him the day/time to hunt, where he would probably come from, and where he made his scrapes. Sure enough that afternoon I put him in my stand and he was done by 3:30 while I was just getting settled to do some hog eradication. Dad was really happy with the deer and we had a great story to go along with the deer. Dad was set on a shoulder mount and when he took it into the taxidermist he started comparing him to some of the monsters coming in from STX. He called and said he was just going to get the horns. I convinced him to get the shoulder mount because every time we see him on the wall he and I can remember the time I set him up perfectly. It’s a great story and great memories. That is my definition of a trophy.

Comment

I guess you could re-direct your capital to high fence and then adding a breeder buck.

Comment

a trophy to me is outsmarting the smartest buck on my place on his own territory, sometimes that isn't the biggest or oldest. This year, I was the one outsmarted.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                            Seems like it's time to get out of the "easy" chair.
                            *** does that even mean?

Comment

The definition of a trophy also is relative to where you are hunting. I've hunted in STX where a 130" 8 point is a cull buck, and I've also hunted places in the hill country where a 130" 8 point is a trophy any day of the week. If he is old, big, and gets me fired up he is a trophy. I've shot and shoulder mounted a "trophy" to me 6 point, that broke his brows so he was technically a 4 point.

Comment

*** does that even mean?

Maybe I should have said "comfort zone". If you want trophies, you'll have to go elsewhere.

you're lamenting no trophies, so time to hunt elsewhere or accept a 5 year old as your "trophies".

Hunting your ranch is the "easy" chair.

Comment

Working...
                                X