Trophy definition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trophy definition

Unfortunately our ranch is short on high scoring bucks.
    We have good deer numbers, justvthe sand we call soil makes nutrients for growing antlers not great.
    What makes it more challenging is the fact that these deer seem difficult to get them to accept and use different feeds including protein.
    I've mixed it with corn in a free feed through and they pick out the corn.
    Now the pigs, they'll eat anything you put out.
    Pens are another issue. 75% of the deer won't jump in a pen with 36" panels.
    I think our deer are mentally challenged.

That said I'm just looking for ab5 year old or older buck. Bbutvthat is a tough one to come by too it seems.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

For me a trophy buck is in the eye of the hunter. Because everybody has an opinion on what a trophy should be. If he makes you happy and you like him then he’s a trophy to you.

Comment

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

ANY whitetail buck with a bow is a trophy, some bigger than other but all trophies none the less

Comment

That's my point. I've spent the last few seasons being discouraged because I had no deer that would make P&Y around and went in knowing management and culls were the targets.
          This season I decided to enjoy season with inches not being the goal. Hopefully one of the two mature bucks I have on camera will show but I'm gonna kill stuff regardless.
          I'm just realizing how much work and time it will be to improve nutrition/antler potential.
          Realizing it's gonna be a long road to finally having trophy, at least what I'm looking for, around.
          And finding a way to spend those years being satisfied with the best we have right now.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
            ANY whitetail buck with a bow is a trophy, some bigger than other but all trophies none the less
            Yeah, that works for a couple of decades then . . .

Comment

Yeah, you got to come to grips with what is possible on the place you hunt. I kinda squint and shake my head when guys post something like “I passed on him because he’s only 5 and would score no more than 140”. It would be nice to be in the position to make that decision but where I hunt that is not realistic. It is a fallacy that if you just give them enough time, all bucks will be 150+. I mostly pass on bucks - I’m fine shooting does until when/if something spectacular shows up but I’m not holding my breath.

Comment

That's where I am. I have a 3yo 7 that needs to go and a 2yo long spike I'd let a guest whack.

Comment

I’ve killed 2 bucks this year. One was a 117” 8pt that I shot behind my house, and I’m super happy with him. The other was about the same size, but had ground shrinkage. I thought he was bigger than he turned out to be when I shot him. No biggie though! I shot them both with my recurve, and neither made it past 75yds, so I’m a happy camper!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My Marine buddy lives just north of San Antonio. Years ago I drove out from Michigan to help him drive back to Michigan so he could hunt whitetail in Michigan again after 40 plus years after they legalized the crossbow for the disabled. You see my buddy got shot on the top of his head in Viet Nam and it left him right side paralyzed.

We sat in his Mule talking about old times, Marine service times and in general how wonderful it was to be alive when a spike buck stepped out. Bob placed a great shot on that buck. We looked at each and dang near started crying as he was so happy for this gift of a deer. My son and I tracked the deer and got it back to camp. As the deer hung on my buck pole Bob sat in his wheel chair just shaking his head, laughing and having a great deer camp time over this spike buck.

My friends, that is the definition of a trophy.
                    Last edited by Jon Stewart; 11-24-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

A trophy to me is the biggest deer that a particular property can produce.

Comment

A chicken fried deer steak and a Miller lite is about as good a trophy as anything I’ve found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bacon & Cream cheese make any deer a Trophy! But goes better with Proper #12 on the rocks!!!

Comment

When I get that feeling. That’s my trophy!

Comment

On our ranch, a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. We have no age limit the only requirement is if you shoot a rack deer you shoulder mount it. I have not shot a WT buck in 5 years, I have shot a 33 inch axis buck, shoulder mounted on my wall. As others have said a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. My best trophy to date is a 2 year old WT doe killed with my recurve. More of a trophy to me than my axis buck killed with a rifle. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X