3D printer fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D printer fun

My 5 yr old has been wanting his own knife.
    We’ve been talking a lot about personal responsibility so I came up with a plan.
    3D print him one and if he can take care of it, not break it, and not lose it, then he can step up to one of those wooden kits that we will build together, THEN we will talk about his first real hunting knife.

Hit it w the sharpie and made a quick lanyard.

Folds pretty smooth and actually locks.
    Like the Hinderer style frame lock

Comment

Cool

Comment

Nice job on the knife! And great training tool. Got my first real pocket knife when I was 6.

Now, print one of those with Stainless or titanium inks, and you'll have the market cornered!
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-04-2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Is that a personal printer? I would love to buy one.

Comment

Pretty stinking cool, what a great idea.

Comment

Wow. That is top notch. Nice work and great idea. Been thinking about going down a similar path for my 7yo

Comment

That's a great idea!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                  Is that a personal printer? I would love to buy one.

Lol...I've been wanting one.
                  This one is in my classroom. We do a 3D printing/design unit after Christmas and the kids get to design and print their own designs.

This one is a Dremel 3D-20 and works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    Nice job on the knife! And great training tool. Got my first real pocket knife when I was 6.

Now, print one of those with Stainless or titanium inks, and you'll have the market cornered!

The Metal X metal 3D printer is a manufacturing solution that cost effectively prints parts using tool and stainless steel, inconel, titanium and other alloys.

If I could afford one....lol.
                    These metal printers are WAY cool. I've read about companies using them to 3D print silencers, cores, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kyleseipp View Post
                      Wow. That is top notch. Nice work and great idea. Been thinking about going down a similar path for my 7yo
                      That's about the age I was thinking about for his real one.

Comment

Your idea is awesome. I remember giving my son his first knife at that age. We had the safety talk and about 60 seconds later I hear him let out a gasp. The next thing I hear is "Don't worry, it's not that bad", as he walks across the living room dripping blood all the way. He bled like a stuck pig, but no real harm done.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post
                          That's about the age I was thinking about for his real one.
                          Agreed. I went with the wooden folder kit as the starter. Still waiting on his hat holders (ears) to get a little more developed before we crossover.

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

I saved my bottle money up and bought a Barlow when I was 7. You ought to see what they are doing with Inconel and other materials down here at the shop. Really cool stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X