No announcement yet.

Opinions on what tree to plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sycamore...you could go with the silver ones but I like the native yellow/green ones.
    Monterrey Oaks are a great choice.

Do not plant an ash tree, pear tree, chinese tallow or maple. They grow super fast and die fast. The faster they grow, the less dense the wood, the shorter the life.

Cedar elms are tough but brittle, rot in the very center starting from a young age and are shallow rooted. I had a major scaffold limb break on one two nights ago and the remaining top snapped last night with storms.

Cottonwoods will get up there quick. Super quick...5 yrs 30ft tree.

Comment

Chinese Pistache

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
      How fast do these grow??
      "Ugly Duckling To Beautiful Swan

Although considered by many experts to be near perfect for this area of the U.S., the Chinese pistache does have a couple of minor faults. First, young pistache in 5–gallon containers (a nice size to purchase) are often rather awkward and gangling in appearance. Rest assured that after 5–6 years of tender loving care in your landscape, this “ugly duckling” will have been magically transformed into a most “beautiful swan” as its canopy develops and begins to mature. Secondly, shaping and pruning your tree when it's young may be necessary to encourage proper branch spacing and structure and for best crown development. Even without such pruning however, the vast majority of pistache will eventually make very nicely shaped trees on their own.

Buying Tips
      Trees 6–8 feet in height, trunk diameter of 1.5 inches, are probably the ideal size for most homeowners to purchase.
      There can be seedling variation in fall color of pistache, with color intensity normally ranging from good to spectacular. Thus, shop in late October, early November when most pistache are exhibiting their fall color. At this time, you can easily select a specimen with the most attractive foliage coloration."

Comment

The two I have had great success with are Red Oak or Mexican Sycamore. One of my sycamores planted 2 years ago actually has caught up to a live oak that we planted 15 years ago. If you don't mind the leaves that is...

Comment

Oh and please no Chinese Tallows. When we first moved I had planted like 12, they grew great and a lot of shade. Big mistake, as of last year they have all been cut down but I literally have a small spray bottle in my shop full of Clean Slate, I have to walk around the yard every couple weeks killing little Tallow trees still sprouting from the roots or old seeds. Major pain in the **s.

Comment

Since you live pretty close to Boerne you might want to check this out. I buy 3-4 trees from them a year. The sale is coming up soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

You can't go wrong with a cedar elm or Live Oak. I prefer the cedar elm because I like watching the leaves fall in the Fall, and the color change, and they seem to grow faster in my area. Don't spend a lot on a big tree. A small cedar elm in full sun will take off fast, and the more you prune it to have a straight trunk, the taller it will be before it branches. Prune it before leaf out each spring where you just have a tiny whip at the top and those things will grow a whole new canopy each year until they get to the desired height.( be careful not to overdo the pruning, and make sure you have at least a three branch split at the top, you can cut everything else off) I've hade live oaks die on me, but I also live on a lime stone hill. You want the tree to have it's roots in the ground good too, before you prune the heck out of it. The pruning is to keep it from being so bush-like, and make it a more towering stately tree.
              Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 09-12-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                Don’t do this.
                Tallowtree would be a huge mistake.

For your area, Monterrey Oak is one of the faster growing oaks. Live Oak is awesome but aren't the fastest growers.

Cedar Elm is another good option

Comment

I’m close to you. Four years ago I planted a Chinese pistachio, a Monterrey oak, and a Burr oak. The Burr has the huge acorns, correct? If so, the Burr has outperformed the other two by miles. Has almost doubled in size. The Monterrey on the other hand, has struggled. Now part of that is I didn’t get protection around it as fast as the other two and the dang Axis bucks have pretty much stunted it’s growth I think. It has lost its leaves again this summer as it did last year. Maybe stress? Hopefully it comes back. The Burr is healthy as a horse. The Chinese has done ok also but just not in same class as the Burr.

Comment

Originally posted by sundownbrown View Post
                    I need some help with picking out a tree to plant in my backyard. I want something that grows fast and puts out some nice shade. I live in spring branch, right north of San Antonio. Thanks
                    Shumard Red Oak or a Lacebark Elm

Comment

Silver Maple

Comment

Originally posted by fulmer34 View Post
                        You want to plant trees in the fall, so roots can establish before they have to bear the texas summers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                        this ... very important. When I plant trees, if I can, I always follow this rule.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          Tallow Tree aka China Ball Tree, fast grower, you will have lots of shade, because you will have a bunch of trees.
                          Noooooooo!!!!!! Have you ever tried to walk barefoot on the whatever it is they drop? When they are green it’s almost like walking on marbles and when they dry out and peel it’s like walking on a nail bed. I will admit it has great fall colors but that is the only positive you get

Comment

Mesquite.

Your welcome

Comment

I recommend you at least look into October Glory Maples. I have a couple in my front yard and they have done great and are stunning in the Fall. I'm well north of you so your milage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Dan View Post
                                Mesquite.

Your welcome
                                Coldblooded.

Comment

Working...
                                X