No announcement yet.

Minimum amount of land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have 6.46 acres with a 2400 sq ft home, oversized 2 car detached garage, a 1200 sq ft shop/2 bedroom, bath, kitchen living area plus a small open shed on what i call my north 40! Not sure of the size of my pond.

I will tell you this, the mowing takes me about 5 hours with a Zero Turn, 4x4 Kubota tractor with a shredder and a 4 wheeler pulling a Swisher Trail mower. This does not include the 2 "neatly kept" yards my wife mows.

We have a fence on our west side (neighbor has goats) and about half of the north side (that neighbor has a horse) but no fences on the east or north side.

We bought this place in Jan 2020 and it is WAY more that what we needed, but it was everything we wanted plus more! We have the homestead exemption on the 1 acre for the house/garage and the over 65 exemption. Being 69, this is all i want, especially if I have to mow it.

In this county I think you have to have 10 acres for a wildlife exemption.

Would I want more land, yes as long as i do not have to mow it!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
      I'll just throw my county, Grayson, out there then. Ag minimim requirement is 10 acres. To convert that to wildlife, the minimum requirement is 12.5 acres. There is no state minimum because the counties set the minimums, both for ag and for wildlife.
      This is how I understand it to be also. I own a small piece of land in Cooke Cnty and the min for wildlife exemption is 15 acres.

You might also look into what the minimum is in order to drill a well in case you might need or want one.

Comment

To just live on 5 acres would be ideal imo. Easy to maintain and mow with the zero turns they have these days. Now to add the livestock you mentioned I would want a minimum of 10 acres and that would also depend on the terrain, grass etc. for grazing. Good luck.

Comment

The most important factors on land are, being able to sight in a rifle and dive hunt

Comment

It all depends on what's next to it.

I do a awful lot without putting my pants on.

We just got rid of 10 acres that had a nosy neighbor nextdoor....

the 140 acres we are building on next feels like it might be big enough, for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post

the 140 acres we are building on next feels like it might be big enough, for now.
              Lol. Solid logic in this.

Comment

Minimum amount of land?

We have just under 10 and I wish we had double that, at least.

Like Trey we do everything we “need” to on it but would like to have a bit more separation from neighbors and less worry about deer jumping the fence if we don’t get a good shot.

Definitely check county requirements for exemptions and any odd covenants. Parker County has a stupid rule that you aren’t supposed to discharge a weapon on under 10 acres even in unincorporated parts of the county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Last edited by Mike D; 06-21-2022, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                  Last I looked there was No minimum acerage for a wildlife exemption
                  Unless it has changed, in Smith county you have to establish some form of ag or timber valuation BEFORE converting to wildlife. Minimum for ag is/was 10ac and believe timber is same. I also was under the impression that there is a different set of rules for bees and a limit on how much land you can put in ag with bees.
                  We have some in ag, some in wildlife and some in timber.

OP your best bet is to go the appraisal office for your county (Grayson I think I saw) and talk to the person over the ag part and get it straight from them as each county has slighly different requirements

Comment

Mrs and I have an offer in on a place that is 16 acres. House is good. Pasture looks pretty decent. I will have to build shop and barn, and redo the pond (it is currently dry). I gotta put up some temporary electric fence so I can bring the livestock out if they accept our offer. (then build a little more than ¼ mile of new barbed wire fence to contain 2 sides, plus add a couple of strands here and there) I will be sectioning off a large area for Mrs to have her dream garden, eventually an arena for Mrs to play with horses as well.

I'd really love it if it were 2-3 times that size, but my budget disagrees.

Mrs and I have been saving up for 20 years, and have decided that this is the minimum size.

I won't be able to hunt there, but I will set up an area to shoot my bow. Rifles and pistols are out, it is pretty flat pasture land.
                    Last edited by Gummi Bear; 06-21-2022, 07:17 PM.

Comment

I’ve got 55 acres of heavily wooded property, I do a ton of skinny dipping in my 800 gallon stock tank. It really depends on the layout…but I tend to think 640 acres is the perfect amount needed.

Comment

Currently building our forever home on 20 acres. Right now, I have about a 3 acre clearing towards the front of the property cleared for the house build. Future plan is to dig a tank using the existing large ditch behind the house, then clear another 5 acres or so. Having 5-8 acres of brush at the back is my end goal.

Comment

It depends on what you want to do with your ground. The bigger the place the more upkeep it will require which means more equipment, more equipment maintainance, etc. It becomes a second job.

We have 63.46 acres. Nearest neighbor is 3/4 of a mile away. It is about perfect for us. There is some of our timber ground across the river that I have not set foot in since the middle of last November. I have been mowing shredding food plots today. There is always maintainance chores to do, but I enjoy doing them and at my own pace.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just sucks I live in one of the highest and most demanded areas in the country.. fml

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought 17 acres. About the right size for me for a homesite. I will say the maintenance on central texas land is much less that the Leon county ranch we sold. I lived on a mower/tractor and chainsaw there.
                              I would buy all the land I could and still be able to afford to build a home and barn. You can always sell some land if you find you can’t manage it.
                              Last edited by Big pig; 06-21-2022, 09:34 PM.

Comment

You are alive! How you been neighbor.?

Comment

Working...
                                X