Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
    Last I looked there was No minimum acerage for a wildlife exemption
    As mentioned, there can be. Counties set their own size requirements for ag exemptions and can have a different size for wildlife than the ag exemption.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
      As mentioned, there can be. Counties set their own size requirements for ag exemptions and can have a different size for wildlife than the ag exemption.

If you pull up wildlife exemption across the entire state there is no minimum acerage requirement however on other 1-d-1 ag qualifications there are county specific minimum acerage
      Last edited by HogHunter34; 06-21-2022, 02:06 PM.

Comment

5 would be perfect in my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Unless it’s been changed I was told that by my county appraisal tax district

Comment

Ive sold quite a few home/land packages (home on 10 acres) and I would say that most of the homeowners like the idea of the 10 acres but rarely ever use more than 5 acres. The maintenance of the land really falls off after the first year.
            I live on 50 acres and absolutely love it. Wouldnt have it any other way.

Comment

I grew up on 5 acres. We had a 3/4 acre pond, roping arena, a few pig pens, chicken pens, shop, a few storage buildings, etc. No woods to hunt though.

Comment

If you pull up wildlife exemption across the entire state there is no minimum acerage requirement however on other 1-d-1 ag qualifications there are county specific minimum acerage
                I'll just throw my county, Grayson, out there then. Ag minimim requirement is 10 acres. To convert that to wildlife, the minimum requirement is 12.5 acres. There is no state minimum because the counties set the minimums, both for ag and for wildlife.

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                  Wife and I are looking for a small parcel to build our forever place. We aren't looking for too much, as we aren't wanting to be mortgage broke.

She wants house, shop, couple heifers, few goats, and chicken coop.

I want house, shop, and a 1/4ac to 1/2ac pond.

What size property yall think this could be feasible on? 2? 5? 10?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
                  At least your wife wants a couple heifers and not you. Some women aren’t too understanding. Size all depends on neighbors. I would rather have your wishlist on 5 acres with good neighbors than the same on 15 with meth labs and trailer parks adjacent.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                    At least your wife wants a couple heifers and not you. Some women aren’t too understanding. Size all depends on neighbors. I would rather have your wishlist on 5 acres with good neighbors than the same on 15 with meth labs and trailer parks adjacent.
                    Absolutely. Hard to get away from the latter though

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

We’ve lived on several different sized properties and I’d say 25 is the minimum, 10 acres with everything you listed will get small pretty quick. Obviously it depends on what’s doable financially but I’d definitely go bigger than your thinking if you and your wife like to be outside doing things.

Comment

We bought 25 acres 4 years ago that had a 2 acre pond on it. Built our house and barn and been loving it ever since.

Check the county to see what the minimum acreage is to get wildlife or ag exemption. Usually around 10 acres. Save you a ton in taxes.

Put my shop/man cave in the barn. Third picture is from my home office window that I get to see every day.

Good luck to you! You will enjoy it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Last I looked there was No minimum acerage for a wildlife exemption
                          It depends on the county and the range. Williamson County, last I checked, stopped doing an actual minimum number other than for bees and instead go by carrying capacity. Where I'm located, they told me I'd have to have enough land for 2 full animal units. Since I grow more rocks than plants, it would take about 26 acres. On the other side of I35 from me or on improved pasture, that number is about half.

Bottom line, check with your county and they'll set you straight.

Comment

We have a little over 2 acres currently with a dozen chickens, pig, couple barn cats, and one bird dog turned lazy pet. I also know I can't avoid horses forever since my wife grew up riding.. Our dream is 25-50 when the kids are grown to live on. I'd like a bigger place but don't want the land to be the only thing we spend our time on. I know that will evolve over time.

Comment

I am doing it on 6.5acs. Already have had a 1-D-1 wildlife exemption for the last 9 years. Will be removing a half acre from exemption for a home site. I have a nice wooded area, an area to shoot(already spoke with neighbors about where) and the deer are plenty and hogs are invading. A little more land would be nice, but this size land and my income seem to fit pretty good. Good luck, I hope you find yours. The exemption is so important.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                                I'll just throw my county, Grayson, out there then. Ag minimim requirement is 10 acres. To convert that to wildlife, the minimum requirement is 12.5 acres. There is no state minimum because the counties set the minimums, both for ag and for wildlife.

This being said, you can commingle properties for purposes of ag valuations. I believe the term my local assessor uses is "common use". I'd assume this applies to wildlife too. I'm checking on that locally.

Comment

Working...
                                X