Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping container redneck RV/ lease cabin (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats awesome

Comment

great build!

Just make sure that the weight is proportioned evenly.

I always get nervous when there is a lot of weight on the back of a trailer.

I speak from a couple personal experiences that i'll never forget.

Comment

The thread was started in 2013 wonder how the finished build looks like?

Comment

looks great

Comment

Great job!

Comment

I too am curious how it held up and what it looks like today

Comment

Originally posted by BowCrazy View Post
                Was it hard to find the Mobile Home frame, I'd also be interested in where you go the 20' box.
                What do you think it will weigh?
                It wasn't a mobile home frame, it was a 27ft travel trailer frame that I found on CL. $750...The guy had ripped the whole camper off the frame and was selling it. I think it had a ton of water damage is why he ripped it off.

the 27ft frame gave me a nice porch on the front. You can see it in some of the build pics.

I bought the 20 footer form Allstar container in Houston and picked it up on the trailer frame.

The tare weight of the container is 4500lbs I think. So with the trailer and everything inside I estimate 6000-6500lbs, but never weighed it.

Originally posted by texashunter74 View Post
                I keep toying with making one of these out of a 40' what if anything did you do to prevent moister build up in the walls, did you add vents?

Looks awesome!
                No vents, I used closed cell spray foam to insulate, that keeps the moisture off the metal walls inside due to condensation. I only put a storm door on it and can open the window if it starts to get a damp feeling. No issues so far.
                I run a small window unit off a generator.

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                great build!

Just make sure that the weight is proportioned evenly.

I always get nervous when there is a lot of weight on the back of a trailer.

I speak from a couple personal experiences that i'll never forget.
                I have towed it 4 different times, last time was a 3 hr trip. No problems

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                The thread was started in 2013 wonder how the finished build looks like?

Originally posted by Onski69 View Post
                I too am curious how it held up and what it looks like today
                Pretty much looks the same, just with a twin over double bed, some sheves and a card table and chairs for eating. I also added a sink with water heater outside.

It has held up great, still no bugs or mice or water in it!
                Attached Files

Comment

I like

Comment

Great job.

Rwc

Comment

Looks great..

Comment

Very Nice

Comment

following

Comment

nice work..what spray foam is that ? I got a 40HC plan starting soon.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
                              nice work..what spray foam is that ? I got a 40HC plan starting soon.
                              I think it was the Tiger Foam 600 board feet kit. It was messy and expensive. $700 with shipping. I am not sure I would do it again. The theory behind it being used is that it would form a vapor barrier in addition to insulating with a higher R value per inch.
                              When you cool one of these containers with a AC,in most of Texas, the condensation could build up on the steel walls inside your interior wall if you don't have a good vapor barrier. Eventually this would causing rust and mold. I think I would just go with a good vapor barrier and fiberglass insulation if I did it again.
                              The condensation does build up on my windows. This could possibly be solved by adding a vent of some kind, but I was trying to keep this thing water/bug tight and not cut any holes in it that would allow water in.

I called around to a couple spray foam installers and told them I would even bring it to them. No one really wanted to mess with it for less than $1800...that may be different today though.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Working...
                                X