Homemade catfish baits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade catfish baits

Can't buy my favorite bait anymore. They aren't making it for some reason. So I'm going to make my own this year. Thinking of cheese trimmings, anise oil, garlic salt, either blood or blended chicken liver, and red itasca 2 stroke oil if I can still find it.

What are some of y'alls favorite homemade baits.

1 lb of cow brains, 1 lb of limburger cheese, 1 lb of "saw dust" or leftovers.

Place in a 5 gallon bucket and let it sit for a while. Add some condensed milk to help mix everything up.

Use carpet pad on a treble hook

Comment

Motor Oil? Never heard of that.

Comment

Ivory soap cut in chunks !

Comment

Originally posted by RedRaider323 View Post
          Motor Oil? Never heard of that.
          When I was a kid my grandad would get old powdered cheese from frito lay and put some in a coffee can and stir in enough itasca red oil to make it like the consistency of pudding. Then we would did treble hooks with sponges in it. Worked real good.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
            Ivory soap cut in chunks !
            This......

...or cheap hotdogs cut up and mixed with garlic powder and strawberry koolaid.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
              This......

...or cheap hotdogs cut up and mixed with garlic powder and strawberry koolaid.
              Watched a guy last Saturday tied to same tree as me on Pines using hot dogs soaked in apple cider vinegar as n garlic salt. Worked good too

Comment

used just straight up chicken livers and wrap them around a small treble hook with pantyhose around it... reuse the same bait

Comment

Hard to be perch; dig up a worm, catch perch, put perch in live well or minnow buck, catch some catfish. Clean and easy. This was the biggest one from last weekend, it went 9.6 pounds. The others were in the five pound range.

Click image for larger version

Name:	phpp32BYsAM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	24543072

Comment

What bait did you normally use?

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There was a thread on this a year ago or so, guy made some in big bins or 5 gallon buckets that didn't stink bad but worked well, i will try and search for it.

We had success with perch as well last week, as stated above.

Comment

Are you guys using this stuff day time or night? Always have been told live bait during the day and other baits at night.

Comment

I was using Sonnys bait during the day. I don't do much fishing at nite.

Comment

Storebought - go with Danny Kings or Sure Shot (has some shad in it). Sounds like you are not afraid of stinky bait.

Never head of 2 stroke oil, maybe just a way for the bait smell to disseminate more without getting so diluted? Could possibly get fish from further out to come in.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X