No announcement yet.

Success learning to reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the chrono but because of the weather I hadn’t wanted to take it just yet. I’m going to shoot a few more grain weights before I settle on anything but I’m waiting on my brass to get here. I’ll probably tinker with the 140grain bullets I have also using that h1000 or the 7977. The N565 is for the 156 EOL bullets and I may have just scored another 4lbs of RL26 pre Biden prices so I’m super duper excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

yea... I'm jealous.
      I've got a brand new Browning Max Long Range in 6.5 PRC.. and no ammo

Comment

If you don’t mind me asking, how much are you into it not including components?

As in press, dies, powder dispenser...

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
          If you don’t mind me asking, how much are you into it not including components?

As in press, dies, powder dispenser...

Hang on, I’m driving and I’ll respond when I stop.

Comment

So I opted to grab some expensive parts but I’ll tell you what you can get a comparable part for next to each:

Rcbs Rock chucker $165
            Lee precision die set $35
            Rcbs chargemaster lite $250 but any powder dispenser will do and they can be much cheaper
            Case prep center $175 but you can use a hand prep for like $35
            Rcbs funnel $20
            Rcbs hand primer $70 but the press comes with a priming thingy so it’s not necessary.
            Calipers $110 but these can be had for $30.

Misc trays for loading $7/ piece

All in I’ve spent bout $900 but you can start for about $400 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
              So I opted to grab some expensive parts but I’ll tell you what you can get a comparable part for next to each:

Rcbs Rock chucker $165
              Lee precision die set $35
              Rcbs chargemaster lite $250 but any powder dispenser will do and they can be much cheaper
              Case prep center $175 but you can use a hand prep for like $35
              Rcbs funnel $20
              Rcbs hand primer $70 but the press comes with a priming thingy so it’s not necessary.
              Calipers $110 but these can be had for $30.

Misc trays for loading $7/ piece

All in I’ve spent bout $900 but you can start for about $400 or so.

When I started reloading, you also needed 2-3 reloading manuals at a cost of $30-40 each, but so much is available online now that you may not need those.

The little stuff adds up too. Not all dies come with a shell holder. Case lube and a lube pad. Case holder (which you can technically make yourself), boxes for reloaded cartridges, a hammer puller for when you inevitably screw up a round and need to unseat the bullet. On and on.

The hand primer is totally worth it IMO. I hate using the primer seater on the press.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                When I started reloading, you also needed 2-3 reloading manuals at a cost of $30-40 each, but so much is available online now that you may not need those.

The little stuff adds up too. Not all dies come with a shell holder. Case lube and a lube pad. Case holder (which you can technically make yourself), boxes for reloaded cartridges, a hammer puller for when you inevitably screw up a round and need to unseat the bullet. On and on.

The hand primer is totally worth it IMO. I hate using the primer seater on the press.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed and believe it or not. I learned to load completely from watching YouTube videos, asking a million questions from my tbh buddy and reading the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                  LOL. Well with no one able to find 6.5 prc ammo I thought about it!! I'm just glad i picked up supplies to do it and learned. At this rate I can load 1,000 rounds and that will last a loooong time.
                  Cool deal, i’m picking up a Ridge Wilderness prc, next weekend I’m gonna need ammo. I will probably trade out my Creedmoor ammo for PRC Ammo.

Comment

Reloading is a great hobby. I have been doing it since the late 70's and can't imagine not being able to sit down at the bench and crank out the loads.

Enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep. I’m on my third round of loads. Trying to narrow down grain weight and if I had more time I’d spend so much more of it at the range. I’ve got ten loaded up that I want to shoot SO BAD but I’m working so much I can’t.

Comment

once you get the bug , it's addicting .. if you like shooting long range or little bitty groups , be ready to buy an annealing machine next... you'll find out that after a few loadings some neck tensions feel different and will cause you flyers ... annealing will also help your brass last longer ...

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                          once you get the bug , it's addicting .. if you like shooting long range or little bitty groups , be ready to buy an annealing machine next... you'll find out that after a few loadings some neck tensions feel different and will cause you flyers ... annealing will also help your brass last longer ...

So I have a dude I ship my brass to that cleans and anneals them for me every third shot. I got my first rounds from him and man are they pretty. Cost me $30 for 300.

Comment

Reloading is good therapy! Good job with the load/groups!

Comment

Today’s set of three shot groups. Getting better!

Comment

Keep a log on each shot group. Label each shot with a given number in the log. Once you start putting the chrono to it, you will appreciate it even more later.

Comment

Working...
                                X