Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success learning to reload!

So, I’ll try and sum this up for y’all.

Over a year ago a friend of mine told me I was crazy for paying $68/box for some custom loaded ammo and offered to reload for me for much cheaper. At first, I said no several times but I knew he wanted to help so I eventually gave in. I bought all the stuff he needed, using my once fired brass, federal match primers, Berger bullets, die set and I opted for H1000 powder. Off he went. He was essentially trying to replicate the accuracy of the ammo I was already using and I think he got very close so we settled on a specific load work up.

Some time went by and between us, there was a weird situation that happened which shouldn’t have anything to do with this but I can’t help but think it did.

The next 36 loads he made for me were dirty, 1/3 or the primers weren’t seated and wouldn’t chamber and they DID NOT shoot like the last few he loaded me. At the advice of a fellow TBHer, I decided to buy all the stuff to learn to load myself. (Yeah, in the middle of Biden and a pandemic)

So......fast forward to today. I have read a stupid amount of literature and listened to my newly found friends advice and this is my very first 19 rounds loaded. Now this will change because I was using the deconstructed loads from my “buddy’s” stuff. My properly cleaned brass will be here next week and I’ll have to resize and trim them up but I’m hoping I can keep the good luck going.

To anyone thinking of reloading, it’s not that hard. I’ve read tons and tons of recipes and just started low and paid attention to all the measurements. First target was the very first loads and I was super nervous. Second target was from today

The center target of the second set is 4 rounds. Everything else is three shot groups going up in .2 grain increments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The mechanics or reloading are easy....even with minimal cheesy equipment...There is so much Reading required ,on line/books/load manual..Researching loads loads /bullets/powders/brass/powders......That what makes it HARD almost overwhelming.

Once ya got the load developed/perfected its EASY the mechanical. with Brass ready just prime / weigh put powder in/seat bullet to proper depth...WALLA

The learning curve is long...and with 100s of powders/20 or so primer choices/about same in brass choices/and 100s of bullet brands,weights,shapes,material...All that makes for THOUSANDS of Combinations!!!!!!

ENJOY I been reloading since the mid-50s Know it all HECK No...Still Learning

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
      The mechanics or reloading are easy....even with minimal cheesy equipment...There is so much Reading required ,on line/books/load manual..Researching loads loads /bullets/powders/brass/powders......That what makes it HARD almost overwhelming.

Once ya got the load developed/perfected its EASY the mechanical. with Brass ready just prime / weigh put powder in/seat bullet to proper depth...WALLA

The learning curve is long...and with 100s of powders/20 or so primer choices/about same in brass choices/and 100s of bullet brands,weights,shapes,material...All that makes for THOUSANDS of Combinations!!!!!!

ENJOY I been reloading since the mid-50s Know it all HECK No...Still Learning

Agreed! I never wanted to do it because it’s so much information but after sort of being thrust into having to do it......once I settled on a specific bullet, primer, brass and seating depth it was really just a matter of figuring out which powder I was using and what the grain weight was. At the moment I’ll only be able to repeat that exact load for about 200 rounds and then I’ll have to switch powders unless I can trade for more of the same. I grabbed three other powder choices so I may end up playing with those but since I’m only loading the one caliber it can’t be that difficult. (Hope I didn’t just jinx myself lol)

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Just wait until you kill your first animal with one. The shine has worn off for me at this point, since it's now routine to just load myself, but when I first started it tickled me pink to kill with something I loaded.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Nicely done! Great looking groups.
            What powder are you looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
              Nicely done! Great looking groups.
              What powder are you looking for?

So the current load is using RL26. I’ve got about 1.5 lbs of it.

Then I’ve got 4lbs of IMR 7977
              3 lbs of V565
              1.5lbs of h1000

I’ve read extensively on all of these options and I think As I use up one, I’ll just move to the next.

If I could trade for some more of the rl26 I would but I’m not going to stress on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                Just wait until you kill your first animal with one. The shine has worn off for me at this point, since it's now routine to just load myself, but when I first started it tickled me pink to kill with something I loaded.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I’ve got an upcoming work weekend and I just might try and kill something while I’m there. I can’t wait!!!!

Comment

Very nice, mmlreiner let me know when I can put my order in lol. Great work,

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
                    Very nice, mmlreiner let me know when I can put my order in lol. Great work,

LOL. Well with no one able to find 6.5 prc ammo I thought about it!! I'm just glad i picked up supplies to do it and learned. At this rate I can load 1,000 rounds and that will last a loooong time.

Comment

Nice!
                      Congrats

Comment

Right on.
                        I’ve been slowly gathering the equipment to reload. I have almost everything but get side tracked with new stuff. Like arrow building equipment. If I remember correctly all I need is some dies. Everything else is already bought.

Comment

Good job Misty!

Now I gotta know, where did you find VV N565 actually in stock?!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Good job Misty!

Now I gotta know, where did you find VV N565 actually in stock?!

I picked up some from a TBH member actually but I got an in stock notification from midway at 1000 this morning. Or course I was asleep so it’s out of stock again but it’s worth adding yourself to the notification lists cause occasionally they come in stock.

Comment

Great job! I enjoy reloading as much as I do shooting and hunting. I like the Alliant Reloader series of powders, but I’ve got some others to try.

It looks like you’re dialed in really well, but another good tool would be a Chrony. It will tell you if your bullet velocities are consistent, which will mean a lot more for accuracy with longer distances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X