Small Property Hunting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Property Hunting???

I hunt a 30 acre property in NE Texas. I am very small limited budget. I have a tractor and brush hog but no disc. I do not have any food plots, I do not feed protein but I do try to keep 2 feeders full of regular corn year round. Do you think just regular ol corn will help hold some deer? It grows up in thick brush every summer. I do mow the fence rows and the pipeline at least twice a summer.

If you have thick brush and corn there you'll be good to go but your going to have to limit your hunting so you don't run them out of there. I'm sure you get them just gotta put the work in. There are also some no-till food plots methods too, Google them you'll be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
      If you have thick brush and corn there you'll be good to go but your going to have to limit your hunting so you don't run them out of there. I'm sure you get them just gotta put the work in. There are also some no-till food plots methods too, Google them you'll be surprised.
      Lots of hunting pressure from deer leases all around me also.

Comment

do you have pens around your feeders? if not, I would start there to keep hogs off the feeders. NE TX deer like thickets.

Comment

Other variables to consider that will depend on how well you hold deer. Food sources is one & certainly won’t hurt to do all you can
          Bedding areas is another
          Water sources
          How much human activity or hunting pressure
          Most likely you get deer passing through or pushed off surrounding leased properties
          Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
            Lots of hunting pressure from deer leases all around me also.
            That's perfect if you can make your property a sanctuary you'll be in great shape. Remember does can be decoys for when the rut heats up.. As for quality of bucks that's going to depend on neighbors and whether they do the if it's brown its down thing. Tough part will be limiting your own traffic on the property.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
              do you have pens around your feeders? if not, I would start there to keep hogs off the feeders. NE TX deer like thickets.
              No pens. But hogs just showed in the past year.

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
              That's perfect if you can make your property a sanctuary you'll be in great shape. Remember does can be decoys for when the rut heats up.. As for quality of bucks that's going to depend on neighbors and whether they do the if it's brown its down thing. Tough part will be limiting your own traffic on the property.
              Limiting traffic is a problem. Kids like to ride 4 wheelers and that is the only place to ride. I have actually thought to not brush hog in there except maybe once right before season but It grows up bad around the feeders if I don't keep it mowed. I only mow the pipeline between my pop-up blind and the feeders. I have one feeder set up about 100 yds on each side of the pop-up on the pipeline. I also mow the fence row.

Comment

Limiting traffic is a problem. Kids like to ride 4 wheelers and that is the only place to ride. I have actually thought to not brush hog in there except maybe once right before season but It grows up bad around the feeders if I don't keep it mowed. I only mow the pipeline between my pop-up blind and the feeders. I have one feeder set up about 100 yds on each side of the pop-up on the pipeline. I also mow the fence row.
                Sounds exactly like my wife's family's 40 acre property in Missouri. We bowhunted there every season, and then came the kids and 4-wheelers. Deer became scarce. They recently bought the adjacent 80 acres to work on bringing back some opportunities.

Comment

Throw up a protein feeder, right in the middle and put a pen around it. It helps keep deer frequenting your property. I hunt 60 acres and they hit it harder than the corn.

Comment

We have 40ac in west tx. IMO anything under 50ac is to small to hunt unless you had a rare set up next to big piece of land or something like that. You might get lucky and kill something but actually hunting a big buck would be a 1 in a 10 year thing if your lucky IMO

Comment

Starting October 1st, keep the kids out.
                      Hunting pressure on the surrounding property will push them on to yours if it has little activity,

Comment

I hunt in similar conditions. I have no problem holding deer, but I also have a major water source on my place and good bedding neighboring my place.

Comment

We hunt 15 acres at the house. We have food and water and large neighbors that don't hunt. Works out pretty good.

Comment

I hunt 80 Acers I feed year round and have 4 120 gallon water tanks
                            I strongly believe the water brings the deer in

Comment

No pens. But hogs just showed in the past year.

Roundup is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X