No announcement yet.

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is good to know Jon Paul. Yeah, it is stiff as can be to steer one with the motor off. Exactly like you'd think when you try to steer a car with power steering when the motor is off. That was why I said that about Popeye arms.

I did read that it pulls a ton of juice as you use the steering especially at full lock. So if you run twisty, windy stuff it'll draw faster than it can recharge. I was reading a little about it after you mentioned that.

Lee, they have power steering to deal with the torque I'd imagine.

El General, yes sir. It is living in Rockport now and soon to be a floundering rig. An old friend of mine who I lived a couple doors down from when I was a kid bought it. My boat was supposed to be ready about 4 or 5 weeks ago so after Christmas we went on and did the deal and I let it go so he could get busy on getting it rigged. He retired from the oilfield and is guiding in Rockport. He's going to guide floundering trips out of it.

I don't know how well the drift paddles would help. Since we mainly drift broadside. Where that hull needs drag is on the bow. They like to drift with the bow angling downwind just a tad and they slide towards the bow as you drift. I don't know if they would help or not. I could see me getting those things stuck in the mud or something too. I may ask my guy at PP and see what he says. I have not ever seen anyone down here use them.

Slew, no livescope. I am not sure if that would help me or not. Maybe in a few situations. If I have to buy a pontoon boat and head to the lakes to make a living I'll get one for sure. I'd like to see how it works though. I can think of a couple situations where it might be pretty nifty.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Nice boat Glenn! Can’t wait to see it rigged out!
      That makes two of us.

Comment

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

It the steering is hot when the motor is off, I’d be buying some relays and rewiring it to trigger off engine power. That’s the dumbest thing ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
          Why electric steering?
          With a 350 at WOT I'm thinking a broken steering cable or blown hydraulic hose could be disastrous, electric if it fails probably just hard to steer. I'm sure there's still fittings that can come loose though so dunno if it's that much better, just trying to throw out possible advantages.

Comment

Another little report for y'all. Several of us fished today. Overall the results were pretty good. My group threw plastics and we caught 12 trout, 2 reds and 2 flounder. My guys elected to let all but 3 go so they could fry some fish tonight. I also heard from several other groups who caught a fair number of redfish, drum and a few trout. One other group was wading and caught a bunch of trout, over 20 plus some reds and a flounder and they released their fish too. A buddy of mine didn't have a trip but he ran out for an hour or so mid day and he caught and released 7 trout on soft plastics. All in all a pretty good day on the water.

Here is the kicker. A buddy took his group to East Matagorda Bay this morning. Drifted with the dead fish. First drift they caught a trout, a red and a couple drum. So I guess they didn't all die. He was as far from the ICW as you can possibly get too. So it wasn't like he caught fish coming out of the ICW. He was literally the farthest possible place in EMB from the ICW. He said they saw some mullet here and there too. But after one drift just to see what would happen he drug up and moved on. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Water temps were up to 64 today. The tide was pretty weak but water levels weren't bad.

Comment

Great report Glenn. I sure enjoy hearing about us policing ourselves instead of big brother stepping in. Keep the reports coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                Another little report for y'all. Several of us fished today. Overall the results were pretty good. My group threw plastics and we caught 12 trout, 2 reds and 2 flounder. My guys elected to let all but 3 go so they could fry some fish tonight. I also heard from several other groups who caught a fair number of redfish, drum and a few trout. One other group was wading and caught a bunch of trout, over 20 plus some reds and a flounder and they released their fish too. A buddy of mine didn't have a trip but he ran out for an hour or so mid day and he caught and released 7 trout on soft plastics. All in all a pretty good day on the water.

Here is the kicker. A buddy took his group to East Matagorda Bay this morning. Drifted with the dead fish. First drift they caught a trout, a red and a couple drum. So I guess they didn't all die. He was as far from the ICW as you can possibly get too. So it wasn't like he caught fish coming out of the ICW. He was literally the farthest possible place in EMB from the ICW. He said they saw some mullet here and there too. But after one drift just to see what would happen he drug up and moved on. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Water temps were up to 64 today. The tide was pretty weak but water levels weren't bad.
                Thanks for the report Glenn. It is encouraging. I bet it felt good to be back on the water.

Comment

350 Verado

Two power poles on the jackplate, Bob's jackplate, 36v Terrova, 9" Garmin, wade ladder, modest stereo, vhf, etc. I'm gonna have Safe Floor installed as soon as they can do it. The livewell in front of the console is insulated so I can use it for my drink cooler. Fish box under the leaning post. Steps to get up on the front deck with room between them for a cooler when I need it, two storage compartments up front, livewel and 2 storage compartments in the rear, 2 cranking batteries, 3 trolling motor batteries and the Power Pole Charge battery management system. I think that is about it.
                  Go big or go home! I like it. Why did you choose that power?

Comment

Way to go Glenn! Thanks for the report!

Comment

Good deal Glenn. I was wondering how you did.

Comment

Good to hear Glenn! Hopefully the good news keeps up.

Comment

Good news.

Most guys would be happy with those numbers before the freeze

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                            Go big or go home! I like it. Why did you choose that power?
                            The 350 Verado matches up well with the Magnum. It's quiet, strong and fast which translates into a really strong cruise speed to me. And then resale is stronger and easier to accomplish with the 350 vs smaller motors. The Magnum actually performs very well with a 250. The 350 vs 250 or 300 is more about easier resale.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              Good news.

Most guys would be happy with those numbers before the freeze

Me for 1. Feb is a fickle month.

Comment

**** good and encouraging report!

Comment

Working...
                                X