Culvert Install Success !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Culvert Install Success !!!

Back in the late summer I dug out an old rusted out galvanized culvert that my neighbor said it had been there for at least 50 years. It was buried, the top was showing thru the soil, but the bottom (when I got it out) was totally rusted out. The little creek drainage had diverted around the culvert and it was almost impossible to get a tractor or side by side thru the creek without high centering.

I cleaned out the creek bed and installed two 15" HDPE double wall culverts. I water jetted and compacted the backfill. I then built a headwall at each end with bags of concrete mix. I also poured a small concrete apron at end. I also graded a spillway around the low side incase of an overflow.

This little drainage is normally dry but when the snow is melting or in a heavy spring rain you can hear it roaring from the house about 100 yards away. We didn't get much rain this fall so it hasn't had a very good test until now. We have had 12-15 inches of since late December. It has been in the 40s and 50s this week. We have a big melt going on right now.

Watch the snow melt You Tube video here:

https://youtu.be/tPvwwfpA8pQ

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Over engineering is always the best way

Comment

Good job!

Comment

worked out great right there! Nice work

Comment

Awesome job.

Comment

You did good Mike. That’s a professional looking job, and it obviously works as planned.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
              Over engineering is always the best way
              Old superintendent habits kicking in.

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
              Good job!
              Thanks !!!

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
              worked out great right there! Nice work
              Thanks !!

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
              Awesome job.
              Thank You !!!

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              You did good Mike. That’s a professional looking job, and it obviously works as planned.
              Thanks !! I was hoping it would not wash out. I am going to add a concrete apron on the discharge end when it drys up. I am noticing the water making an eddy on the discharge end is undermining the pipe a little. I have been going down there twice a day clearing ice flows and brush out of the inlet end of the pipes.

Comment

Isn't it great when things turn out as planned? Nice job Mike!

Comment

Nice work!!!

Comment

That is some professional work! Very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                      I have been going down there twice a day clearing ice flows and brush out of the inlet end of the pipes.
                      Hope you don't have to worry about that anymore

good looking job.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                        Hope you don't have to worry about that anymore

good looking job.
                        Thanks !!!

The ice chunks are pretty much gone. The water is running clear now. The brush up stream has been flushed for the most part. We have a couple of more days of snow melting but it should be gone soon. I hope we are done for this winter, but I bet we will see more snow before Easter.

Comment

Love a good civil job, nice work!

Things must be slow up there if you’re finding time to go check for blockage twice a day, I can’t wait for retirement!

Always enjoy your posts, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                            Love a good civil job, nice work!

Things must be slow up there if you’re finding time to go check for blockage twice a day, I can’t wait for retirement!

Always enjoy your posts, thanks for sharing.
                            We have been pretty well snowed in for a couple of months. Other than grocery shopping, getting over Covid-19 (quarantine), snowplowing the driveway, TBH and You Tube.....give me some 40 to 50 degree days (55 today) and I am happy to find some outside chores.

I need to get out and tap some of our Maples and Black Walnuts for syrup.

Comment

If you add stabilized sand on each end it’s cheaper than concrete. Looks good should last along time.

Comment

Working...
                              X