Hard freeze and pools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My pool made it

I prepped my pool by adding a 30’ heat tape on my exposed pipes and then covered in foam insulation. I then covered everything in blankets and towels and a water proof tarp over that. Pool ran solid for a week. Got down to zero but never had an issue. Water temp hit 32degrees but stayed moving. We got lucky and have no issues to now that the equipment is back to normal ops.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AF75D615-418A-4937-B9F6-7EECBA76F9DE.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	24644981

Comment

Keep the water moving

Comment

Originally posted by Devildogg View Post
        Keep the water moving
        Hmmmm.....how would you do that with no electricity? Running 24/7 is good until the lights go out.

Comment

Keep the water moving
          Until you're without power for over 16 hours and temp is single digits.

Looks like all the equipment and pipes made it. So far only casualties are one tile fell off and a skimmer basket. Going to turn on the pool heater in a few min and see if it survived. We put a new one in when we bought the house 4 years ago so hopefully it survived.

Comment

We were 37 hours without power. We piled towels, blankets and tarp over all equipment. Yesterday i rinsed out all ice i could from pumps and filter housing with hose and buckets of warm water. Pump would do nothing but hum. Tried this morning and everything fired right up. No issues. I feel like i got away with something.

Comment

I drained the filter and opened the pump to allow water back to pool when the electric first failed. Pool frozen about 2+ inches thick but all equipment hooked back up and worked great today.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep the water moving
                We went right at 100 hours without power. I tried.

Comment

Pool pump made it..copper lines in heater did not - cracked.

Any experience with this issue? Copper lines able to be replaced?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post

Thanks

Was your pump running?

If not I don’t know if any way just to replace the coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                      I prepped my pool by adding a 30’ heat tape on my exposed pipes and then covered in foam insulation. I then covered everything in blankets and towels and a water proof tarp over that. Pool ran solid for a week. Got down to zero but never had an issue. Water temp hit 32degrees but stayed moving. We got lucky and have no issues to now that the equipment is back to normal ops.

[ATTACH]1041250[/ATTACH]
                      Looks like my setup and exactly how I protected for 62 hours without power to the pool![emoji106] Actually about to jump in my pool and enjoy this 72 degree weather in a 81 degree pool [emoji38] Daggum spa is 91!!!![emoji37]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Landrover; 02-21-2021, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        Was your pump running?

If not I don’t know if any way just to replace the coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Not running...we lost power.

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post

Thanks
                          They can be replaced, but usually most people opt to replace the heater. Once you factor in labor to replace the heat exchanger it's better to just replace the heater. Of course factor in age of heater to make this decision

Comment

Just curious, if the copper lines in the heater are cracked, what difference does it make if the pump was running or not?

I'm sure someone could fix it. But I'd bump repair costs against replacement costs.

Comment

I drained everything except the pump that runs my vacuum. I did not see the valve to open on that one. Cracked housing on that one but that is all I have so far.

Comment

Originally posted by jmac24 View Post
                                I drained everything except the pump that runs my vacuum. I did not see the valve to open on that one. Cracked housing on that one but that is all I have so far.
                                We are seeing lots of booster pumps broken, especially the polaris PB4SQ pump. They are great pumps but obviously the housing is pretty thin and does not like the ice.

Comment

Working...
                                X