X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diet, health , eating late, weight...
    So many factors, but overall wellness
    Seems to help the most for me..
    Alcohol and eating later are the worst...
    I only drink on a rare weekend occasion now
    And eating much after 7pm is not good for me..
    I sleep really good now... CBD is an option

Comment

Alleve Pm. I sleep good with them.

Comment

As others have said: no phone or TV in the bedroom. Phones especially. The apps, sites, etc are literally designed to keep you engaged, so the exact opposite of what we need at night. Then factor in the blue light, etc and it’s all fighting against you getting quality sleep. One of many factors, sure. But it’s one almost all of us have in common.

Comment

WHat others have said, but stress was my biggest problem. I would go to bed and have a thousand thoughts running through my head and all of them were about work. Fixed it when we sold the company.

Another thing was my bed itself. I have lower back issues and would wake up in pain after about 4-5 hours of sleep. We bought a new mattress with the adjustable frame/mattress and if I can get a little bit of incline, no waking up at all.

Comment

I used to suffer terribly from insomnia, at it's worst I'd go up to 3 days at a time with less than 4 hours of sleep. I usually sleep pretty well now, here's what helped.

Practicing good sleep hygiene is a start:
            -Cold, dark, soundless bedroom
            -Consistent bedtime and wakeup
            -Only use bedroom for sleeping/throwing hip/changing clothes, do not work or entertain yourself (outside of aforementioned hip throwing)
            -No caffeine after midday
            -Cut out computer/phone time 4 hours before bed

Things that seemed to make the greatest difference:
            -Regular exercise
            -Losing weight
            -Reducing my stress levels (this meant changing careers)

None of those may be a cure, but they don't hurt.

Comment

I have the same problem
              Tried everything.
              All medications seem to wear off in 4-5 hours
              I tried Melatonin but the dreams were too crazy

Benadryl seems to help. Along with exercise.

Comment

I had a bad time with sleep for several years. Recession crushed our family business just as I began to take over ownership, lost my sister to depression/anxiety and after that had a herniated disc that kept me awake for most of the night for over a year. There’s no misery like not being able to sleep.
                I’d recommend a sleep study to begin with. I did one at the peak of insomnia and just laid awake all night per usual, but learned a few things.
                As others have said, no phones or clocks in the room. Sleep has become a ritual and I’ve come to value what a good nights rest does. I take a dose of liquid CBD and an extended release z-quill and wear a breath right strip. I broke my nose in my mud 20s and should have a sugery to open up my nasal cavity. I took a pause from alcohol and that was a huge help. Wish I’d have tried this a lot sooner. I also cut out a lot of caffeine and don’t have any after lunch as it’s a trigger for anxiety.
                I really focus on a clean 8 hours of rest and changed other things in my life to allow me to be home in time to get what I need done, get the kids in bed and get myself to bed and relaxed.
                Things being shut down here and there have really helped me slow down and just be. I stumbled across Mettaverse music on YouTube and that’s also been a big deal as a listening routine to nod off with. The guy who makes those has some enlightening interviews.
                There’s nothing heroic about avoiding seeing a doctor or trying some medications or therapies, yet as guys we seem to avoid it. I’ve had a strong mental shift in attacking the things that kept me awake and basically becoming numb and not caring about what doesn’t matter.
                For me personally, shutting off news, social media and focusing harder on my hobbies and real quality time with my kids. I live in a bit of a bubble, but I like it, I sleep well, I’m happy and feel a level of focus that’s really been rewarding.
                Last edited by Txtourist; 02-21-2021, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Two Benadryl + 1 stout beer = 5/6 hours sleep. I have worked shift work for over 20 years. Sleeping during the day has always been a challenge. Dark room, fan, and the above recipe has helped me as well as anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                    I have the same problem
                    Tried everything.
                    All medications seem to wear off in 4-5 hours
                    I tried Melatonin but the dreams were too crazy

Benadryl seems to help. Along with exercise.
                    This seems common, my insomnia medicine is only good for 4-5 hours, then the slightest thing can wake me up, sometimes I can fall asleep but then am groggy and in pain when I do wake up

Comment

I changed my diet and try hard not to eat after 6ish . Stopped eating so much processed foods and got off the cokes and Dr Pepper. So far I lost 23 pounds since mid January and I’m sleeping all night now. Good luck with finding what works for you

Comment

General advice for insomnia;

Get checked for sleep apnea. (I have it and use a CPAP, life changer)
                        Cut the caffeine after 2:00 pm. Or 8 hours before sleep time.
                        Exercise helps on so many levels (stress, depression, anxiety, sleep) it is also the hardest to make yourself do.
                        Don’t eat close or within a few hours of bedtime
                        Try and stay off phone/ipad for hour before bed (very hard for me)
                        CBD oil drops under the tongue about 15 minutes before bed really helped me fall asleep faster. And I think helped with pain/stress which was a great added bonus. Get a very good reputable brand, it’s worth it.
                        Last edited by W E H; 02-21-2021, 10:21 AM. Reason: Added thought

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
                          General advice for insomnia;

Get checked for sleep apnea. (I have it and use a CPAP, life changer)
                          Cut the caffeine after 2:00 pm. Or 8 hours before sleep time.
                          Exercise helps on so many levels (stress, depression, anxiety, sleep) it is also the hardest to make yourself do.
                          Don’t eat close or within a few hours of bedtime
                          Try and stay off phone/ipad for hour before bed (very hard for me)
                          CBD oil drops under the tongue about 15 minutes before bed really helped me fall asleep faster. And I think helped with pain/stress which was a great added bonus. Get a very good reputable brand, it’s worth it.
                          Which CBD are you using? I’ve had Lazarus naturals and it’s about gone.

Comment

My wife has to take seroquel to sleep . Works great for her .

Comment

White noise helps me

Comment

i put in earbuds and listen to podcasts while i go to sleep, i guess it's a play on white noise but it works for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X