Hard freeze and pools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
    I hate my pool in general. Always something. Water chemistry, plugged up filters, etc.

Every time a friend says they’re thinking about building one, I tell them If I could dig mine up and pay them $5,000 to take it, I would.
    I can understand, but we use our pool probably 150 days a year. We'll worth it for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just turned on the water to the filter and everything went like it was before the freezing, as I expected. No pressure in the lines, no frozen/broken pipes. Works like a charm. Forget the run 24/7 carp.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
        I can understand, but we use our pool probably 150 days a year. We'll worth it for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We used to, then my kids started swimming in school and now a “pool party” is the last thing they want to do.

Maybe I’ll turn it into a koi pond. Lol

Comment

Looks like my equipment and pool are damage free. Sorry for those who sustained damage. I was a bit worried when pool froze over (I'm one who drained my equipment prior to the cold). There doesn't appear to be any leaks or cracks including the skimmers.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
            Looks like my equipment and pool are damage free. Sorry for those who sustained damage. I was a bit worried when pool froze over (I'm one who drained my equipment prior to the cold). There doesn't appear to be any leaks or cracks including the skimmers.
            You done good!

Comment

I drained my pumps and filter 5 hours after we lost power. Gonna mess with it tomorrow. Fingers Crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post
                I drained my pumps and filter 5 hours after we lost power. Gonna mess with it tomorrow. Fingers Crossed.
                I did about 1.5 hours after losing power Monday morning. Didn't have power again until yesterday. Pool & strainers are still frozen so I'm going to wait another couple days.

Comment

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post
                  Same here. I covered the equipment with blankets and then a tarp, drained everything after 6 hours of no electricity and left the lids off the pumps to relieve any pressure in the system.

I put the drain plug for the filter back today but will mess with it tomorrow.

Comment

This is what happens when you can't have a real pool!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Our power went out way before I expected. Some time before 2am Sunday night. I attempted to drain in the dark by opening everything up but it didn’t seem to drain like it normally does when I did that. Later in the morning when it was light out I found the pump drain ports and the filter drain port. It took some heat from the torch but I got them clear and got a good drain on everything. Or so I thought.

When I went to put everything back together today I noticed there were drain port on both suction and discharge side of pumps. I had only opened suction side. But it didn’t seem to matter. Put it all back together and filled things up as good as I could with the water hose and let it rip. Main pump started right up. Waterfall pump seemed locked up so figured something was still frozen. Left it until the afternoon, and when I tried it again it fired up as well.

Draining the system is definitely the way to go when it’s going to freeze. It’s super simple and no reason to run the pump 24/7 if you don’t have to even if you have power. Plus you’re not putting unnecessary load on our fragile power grid either.

Comment

All good on ours as I had all the waterfall features going today. I had all the equipment triple wrapped with carpet remnants, cargo blankets and then a tarp to keep dry. This worked on the front yard fountain equipment also. This "round thingy" has a small leak but does not seem to be an issue. I will let my pool guy deal with it.. The pool is warm and the spa is hottt!! It was good to get everything, including plants 🪴uncovered today.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hard freeze and pools

Looks like ours will be ok, I haven’t fired it back up yet. I ran out as soon as we lost power and drained the two pumps and filter. Pool froze over solid on the surface and about 4-5” thick. No tile damage that we can see at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We made it unscathed in rockport, were without power for about 60 hours but my son was there and able to keep plumbing covered with cargo blankets and mr buddy heater.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                              Looks like ours will be ok, I haven’t fired it back up yet. I ran out as soon as we lost power and drained the two pumps and filter. Pool froze over solid on the surface and about 4-5” thick. No tile damage that we can see at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              I didnt drain the pumps but did pull plug on filter and opened the top of the pump. Most of the water drained out of the filter but they did have water in it but I kept breaking up any ice in it. Will see if they survived tomorrow.

As for the pool and ice, I wouldn't let the ice form. I was outside at least 4-5 times busting the ice with my brush pole trying to keep from having any tile damage.

My biggest concern right now is my cleaner pump. It kicked on after power came on and smelled pretty bad before I got it turned off. I will unhook the hose from the wall tomorrow and see if it can come on with no resistance.

Comment

Lost our booster pump, Brand new main pump ok thank god.

Comment

Working...
                                X