Here we go..HIGHER Utilities Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    We didn’t have the population then either, the urban sprawl, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree and wasn’t disputing anything other than the “storm of the century” part
    This is the 3rd since the 80’s. So while rare, it’s not unheard of and it will happen again, probably more than once, in our lifetimes
    Folks need to take stock of their individual family situations and be prepared

Comment

You stated that a turbine never pays for itself, that is incorrect. The old farm I worked at had 112 towers with a life span of 25+ years. The wind farm paid for itself within 5 years. So that’s 20 years of money coming in, like I mentioned on another post 90 towers at our farm that we’re running during the freeze were making 1.3 million every hour. That price lasted for days. So imagine that, I understand people think they’re a eye sore or they aren’t into green energy but the truth is most of us in the field are not tree hugging hippies. We get paid well to do a job that most can’t do.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
        You stated that a turbine never pays for itself, that is incorrect. The old farm I worked at had 112 towers with a life span of 25+ years. The wind farm paid for itself within 5 years. So that’s 20 years of money coming in, like I mentioned on another post 90 towers at our farm that we’re running during the freeze were making 1.3 million every hour. That price lasted for days. So imagine that, I understand people think they’re a eye sore or they aren’t into green energy but the truth is most of us in the field are not tree hugging hippies. We get paid well to do a job that most can’t do.
        I’ve been doing it for 13 years. There is a reason I’m still doing it.

Comment

Good you're getting paid well for it. I'm sure it's not an easy job. The problem is, it's still an unreliable source of power. Most people have too much on the line to depend on an unreliable supply.

Comment

ERCOT is starting to sound a lot like the levy agency in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina when the levies and pumps failed.

Solar doesn't work when covered with ice and snow. Period.

Wind, I know it is used in cold climates like Norway and Germany but what has been installed here in TEXAS is not working in these cold conditions and should not be relied on for core production.

Coal, when plants have tried to convert from local dirty coal to cleaner Wyoming coal greenies from Commifornia come in and protest to have them stopped and eventually shut down because they can't meet increasing regulations. 3 of the 4 coal plants in the area have shut down in the last few years.
            Nuclear, one of the 4 reactors went down due to a sensor freezing. Safety protocols kicked in and shut the reactor down for safety. The Navy runs everything bigger than a jon boat on nuclear generators with 20 year olds operating them. When is the last time we heard of the Navy having a problem with a reactor. I think we need at least 2 if not 3 new nuclear plants with 4 to 6 reactors available as core energy or as needed.

I don't work in the energy industry but I am not an idiot. The independent agency over the Texas electrical grid failed to be reliable even though reliable is in their name. They need to be investigated and steps taken to ensure this never happens again.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
              Texas is flaring off billions dollars of the cleanest energy natural gas. Need natural gas pipelines and refurbished facilities and get rid of the China made wind turbines and solar crap. Screw Bill Gates, slow Joe, aoc, and Kamala toe.
              This right here!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Here we go..HIGHER Utilities Coming?

I didn’t state it didn’t pay for itself, I stated it takes more fossil fuels and energy to build the ugly *******, than it will produce. Now I will admit that is something I was told, by someone in the wind energy business.

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s in sustainable, and un reliable, without subsidies...in the long run...or that nat gas is still a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
                  Good you're getting paid well for it. I'm sure it's not an easy job. The problem is, it's still an unreliable source of power. Most people have too much on the line to depend on an unreliable supply.
                  As a technician my job is to keep them spinning, if the demand is high the company makes millions a hour. If it’s low we ain’t making a ton or we get curtailed. But no matter what I still got to climb 300 feet if it’s for millions or not. Wind and solar make up 20% of electricity generated in Texas. Turbines had nothing to do with blackout or anything else that’s all propaganda...

Comment

Agree to disagree...

Comment

I didn’t state it didn’t pay for itself, I stated it takes more fossil fuels and energy to build the ugly *******, than it will produce. Now I will admit that is something I was told, by someone in the wind energy business.

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s in sustainable, and un reliable, without subsidies...in the long run...or that nat gas is still a better option.

1.3 million USA dollar an hour? I’m thinking they paid for 3 days ago ...I ain’t real good at some math but..

Comment

Big difference between

As a technician my job is to keep them spinning, if the demand is high the company makes millions a hour. If it’s low we ain’t making a ton or we get curtailed. But no matter what I still got to climb 300 feet if it’s for millions or not. Wind and solar make up 20% of electricity generated in Texas. Turbines had nothing to do with blackout or anything else that’s all propaganda...
                        LZ_South turbines and LZ_West turbines...

LZ_West had blade icing in October that was unreported but caused significant issue's with both pricing and reliability. Wind isn't the panacea you claim it be...

Comment

Here one for all you wind turbine lovers. Not so environmentally friendly after all.

Comment

So how is this ERCOT price jackup going to work? It went from approximately $.05 to $9 per kwh. I'm in a coop, like many rural customers (Central Texas Electric Coop). Our bill includes a distribution charge, access charge, a "power cost pass-through" charge and "access cost pass-through" charge. Last month we used 985 kwh. Of course, a lot more this past month. Holy crap, are we looking at a $10,000+ electric bill? This can't be right.

Comment

Wholesale prices

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                              So how is this ERCOT price jackup going to work? It went from approximately $.05 to $9 per kwh. I'm in a coop, like many rural customers (Central Texas Electric Coop). Our bill includes a distribution charge, access charge, a "power cost pass-through" charge and "access cost pass-through" charge. Last month we used 985 kwh. Of course, a lot more this past month. Holy crap, are we looking at a $10,000+ electric bill? This can't be right.
                              The $9,000 price cap has been in effect all week. This is for wholesale power. Depending on how well CTEC had the load hedged, they may or may not be able to make the payment that will be due to ERCOT. If CTEC owns generation that has been running, they are high rolling...hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                                1.3 million USA dollar an hour? I’m thinking they paid for 3 days ago ...I ain’t real good at some math but..
                                There's more than math you're not good at.

Comment

Working...
                                X