X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
    I think that’s the point.
    Why they are doing this now.
    We’re having rolling black outs 2 days now but not for all customers. The lady told me everybody was going through it. I told her several mostly kin that never lost power.
    I then ask her why this doesn’t happen in the summer when everybody is running AC’s.
    She said they came close a couple times?
    IDK!
    They did in Austin in the summer when the load got to high. Idiots should have had a wake up call then. Texas has plenty of natural gas, could have converted some of the old plants that were shut down. Sad mess with the political agenda that is driving this crisis.

Comment

Texas is flaring off billions dollars of the cleanest energy natural gas. Need natural gas pipelines and refurbished facilities and get rid of the China made wind turbines and solar crap. Screw Bill Gates, slow Joe, aoc, and Kamala toe.

Comment

Total BS

Good thing the politicians get their pockets lined by taking care of the Utilities and the working man gets screwed - again.

Comment

The more I read about this situation, the more I wonder how many of the plants that shut down did so for economic reasons. That's the only consistent thread I can see.

Demand went up, almost to summertime levels which is apparently shocking to the industry. That means the plant had to draw more natural gas than they planned when they entered into their supply deals for natural gas. That pushed them to the spot market which apparently went crazy. When they looked at the price they would have to pay for natural gas to burn vs the price they would receive selling electricity into the market, they elected to shut the plant down instead of burning money.

These decisions were made individually by a lot of private companies that, when stacked together, created the energy shortage we see now. Many of these plants are not designed to be turned on and off at will, it takes time to get them going, so when electricity prices finally rose high enough to justify the plant operations, they were already shut down with steam lines quickly turning to ice lines. That meant they are not able to start up until the steam lines melt.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what you get with a semi-controlled market. Demand surged, feedstock surged (bc people like me were burning nat gas to keep the heater and hot water going), but electricity prices paid to the plant owner (paid/set by ERCOT?) did not surge. That tells the plant operator that somebody else is able to generate enough power to meet the demand at a lower cost so...why keep running when you could just wait for Nat Gas prices to drop for your plant to make economic sense.

Comment

Elections matter. Remember that when it comes time to vote.

Comment

I assure you very few folks were thinking about what their electricity bill was going to be in the midst of this

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                Texas is flaring off billions dollars of the cleanest energy natural gas. Need natural gas pipelines and refurbished facilities and get rid of the China made wind turbines and solar crap. Screw Bill Gates, slow Joe, aoc, and Kamala toe.

I’m with you brokeno. So over this green energy bs. And all those folks you mentioned are part of a big circle jerk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had spotty service and limited information but I think I saw where Gov. Abbot has addressed this and called for an investigation and law makers to address it with legislation. From what I heard he was not happy with the PUC putting this out.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                    Wind and solar should not be part of the minimal supply calculations. They aren’t reliable enough.
                    My wind farm ran 90 towers out of 91 today making 1.3 million a hour all day. I would say that’s pretty reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                      Vestas wind turbines are made in Denmark...

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                        My wind farm ran 90 towers out of 91 today making 1.3 million a hour all day. I would say that’s pretty reliable.

I saw about 50 Friday and not one was operational.

Regardless of how reliable they are, we shouldn’t be subsidizing them and they’re no greener than a NG plant over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          I saw about 50 Friday and not one was operational.

Regardless of how reliable they are, we shouldn’t be subsidizing them and they’re no greener than a NG plant over time.

Yup! Especially when you look at what an oil change in one of those turbines costs!

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                            Vestas wind turbines are made in Denmark...
                            I guess you were 2% of the functioning renewable energy sources. I live in the middle of some of the largest wind fields in the state not a **** one has turned since this all set in this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
                              I believe there will be a big turnover at all levels of government and commissions in Texas at the next election. People won't forget this anytime soon, at least not soon enough before elections come around.
                              Agreed!

Comment

Part of my career is a high portion of HV Transmission. I can tell you right now, there are multiple power companies who have quite a few outages on transmission lines for rebuild and tie ins to new substations. ERCOT won’t allow these outages from June to September due to the high demand for electricity in the summer months. That leaves a short amount of time to get a lot of work done in times where electricity needs in Texas are generally at its lowest. And re-energizing these lines isn’t as simple as running over and flipping a switch real quick before the storm hits. So you already have that as an existing outage. Now take into account for the lines that were damaged which are out de-energized. I have crews headed out for emergency restoration right now. There is a lot more to it than what the outside see’s. The bottom line is it’s a once in a century storm that our southern infrastructure wasn’t prepared for. No different than Oklahoma doesn’t prepare for hurricanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X