Whitefish MT, fishing help and things to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitefish MT, fishing help and things to do

We have a trip planned for a week in Whitefish with another couple. We will hit Glacier National park a couple of times probably to hike and site see. My buddy and I would like to do some fishing and trying to decide between a guide or just hitting a local shop for info and doing it our selves. Neither of us have fly fished before and would like to try, but may just get a spinning rod instead.

Any guide recommendations or info on where to fish on our own? I wouldn't mind fishing both lakes or rivers and streams in the area. Also any other must things to do or see while there?

Also is it worth trying to fish for anything other than trout?

Comment

Had a buddy that slayed some rainbows on the Flathead Friday, but he was using spinning gear. I’ve never fished out there unfortunately. Just from what I’ve seen I’d focus my time on the Flathead over the Whitefish though.

Comment

Went there last July and the local fly shop told us about a high mountain lake full of Grayling, it was a crazy drive but they weren’t lying and we were the only people. That being said if something were to happen not a person would know about it…. Great adventure.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
              Went there last July and the local fly shop told us about a high mountain lake full of Grayling, it was a crazy drive but they weren’t lying and we were the only people. That being said if something were to happen not a person would know about it…. Great adventure.
              That looks awesome! Do you remember name of lake?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard M. View Post
                That looks awesome! Do you remember name of lake?
                Red Meadow Lake, it is way in the sticks but well worth it. You could cast to the Graylings by sight.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard M. View Post
                  We have a trip planned for a week in Whitefish with another couple. We will hit Glacier National park a couple of times probably to hike and site see. My buddy and I would like to do some fishing and trying to decide between a guide or just hitting a local shop for info and doing it our selves. Neither of us have fly fished before and would like to try, but may just get a spinning rod instead.

Any guide recommendations or info on where to fish on our own? I wouldn't mind fishing both lakes or rivers and streams in the area. Also any other must things to do or see while there?
                  Huckleberry everything. Several places in Hungry Horse with good Huckleberry pie and ice cream.

Get your reservations for Going to The Sun Road now. It is now on a ridiculously implemented permit system. Carry a gun for bears.

Comment

I hear that a bunch of the road in Glacier is closed due to construction. Read lots of recent reviews about people complaining about the reservation system to get into the park, and nowhere did it talk about the road having closures.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                      I hear that a bunch of the road in Glacier is closed due to construction. Read lots of recent reviews about people complaining about the reservation system to get into the park, and nowhere did it talk about the road having closures.
                      I was in Glacier on Sunday. Even though it said tickets only for Going to The Sun Road it was open access. We didn’t run into any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        I was in Glacier on Sunday. Even though it said tickets only for Going to The Sun Road it was open access. We didn’t run into any issues.
                        Good to hear. We contemplated going there earlier this summer, but decided against it due to the recent reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                          Good to hear. We contemplated going there earlier this summer, but decided against it due to the recent reviews.
                          The wife had a coworker there just 3 weeks ago, and they ran into the permit issues. We figured we’d hit them as well, but weren’t concerned since we spent a week in Glacier 3 years ago. So we just went for a quick visit, and we’re surprised to gain access so easily.

Had 2 other buddies there with us, and both gained access to GTTS Road without any issues as well. One on Friday, and another on Sunday shortly after us.

Comment

We’re here now. GTSR is not closed. OP: we had a great experience with a guide, but you will probably have a very hard time finding any openings they are all booked (we booked in January). Just go by a fly shop and give it a go! The scenery up here is unreal.

Comment

Working...
                            X