Camp rattlesnakes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
    In my opinion if you know snakes are around and you have to have small kids around to possibly become injured by one the best thing you can do is educate them. Don't make them out to be monsters that are to be feared but respected. Watch where you step or put your hands,etc. Every critter on earth has its place. You're in their environment not the other way around. They ain't going anywhere anytime soon. If you can't deal with that keep the kids at the house.

If someone steps on a snake or reaches under something and gets bit because you neglected to teach them about the dangers of this world, that's on you. The snake was doing what it was built to do. Has nothing to do with the snake being where it wasn't supposed to be.

So are you doing your kids a disservice by killing and disposing of snakes rather than sitting them down and pointing out why that snake is dangerous,why it's there,where they like to be and why? Did the rest of that sandwich they didn't eat and threw in the weeds attract vermin that attracted the snake? Talk about how to avoid the situation altogether. Education is a lot better than just acting like they're invading your space and giving the impression that since you killed one there's nothing to worry about.
    I agree, this is the best solution 👍.
    Especially considering that 90% of this site can't even identify the few poisonous snakes we do have except the rattlesnake.
    If he didn't have rattles they would be clueless.
    Don't go into nature, and then kill everything your afraid of .
    How about embrace it for what it offers us, and respect it for what it is.

Comment

The snakes are there because there is food, water, and cover for them there. Eliminate those attractions and they won't be there.

Comment

Kill all rattlers. Duh.
        People that want to protect them and loose-running dogs are nothing but city folk.

Comment

Just for a scientific comparison, we have killed every rattlesnake that we encounter on our place for the past 30 years, and they are seldom seen. There are tons of coachwhips and chicken snakes to take care of the rats and other things. Also ringtail.

Comment

Also, if rattlesnakes grassburs & bullnettle became extinct, even better.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
              I agree, this is the best solution [emoji106].
              Especially considering that 90% of this site can't even identify the few poisonous snakes we do have except the rattlesnake.
              If he didn't have rattles they would be clueless.
              Don't go into nature, and then kill everything your afraid of .
              How about embrace it for what it offers us, and respect it for what it is.

“Venomous”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                In my opinion if you know snakes are around and you have to have small kids around to possibly become injured by one the best thing you can do is educate them. Don't make them out to be monsters that are to be feared but respected. Watch where you step or put your hands,etc. Every critter on earth has its place. You're in their environment not the other way around. They ain't going anywhere anytime soon. If you can't deal with that keep the kids at the house.

If someone steps on a snake or reaches under something and gets bit because you neglected to teach them about the dangers of this world, that's on you. The snake was doing what it was built to do. Has nothing to do with the snake being where it wasn't supposed to be.

So are you doing your kids a disservice by killing and disposing of snakes rather than sitting them down and pointing out why that snake is dangerous,why it's there,where they like to be and why? Did the rest of that sandwich they didn't eat and threw in the weeds attract vermin that attracted the snake? Talk about how to avoid the situation altogether. Education is a lot better than just acting like they're invading your space and giving the impression that since you killed one there's nothing to worry about.

How many kids you got?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                  From the sound of it, probably not.
                  It wouldn't change my mind, but I might look a little better the next time.
                  That's not only irrational, but it is also nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                    Menard County, 600 acres. My uncle has 700 acres next to us. He has a cave on his place. In early spring they will find 5-6 rattlers "sunning" around the entrance.
                    I worked with the guy down in Dilley that would call those money snakes. I called them dead.

Comment

It doesn't matter how many you (or your fellow lease members) kill. If the kids are not well trained on how to be safe at camp then something bad could happen. Just like a loaded gun. Lease members should not leave one around but kids should always treat every gun as if it is loaded.

If you have a snake problem you probably have a rodent problem.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                        Prob better of eliminating their food source around camp. In other words, get rid of the mice and rats and you want have snakes around. But killing them doesn’t offend me either.
                        This would be my answer also.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          How many kids you got?

None. Have plenty of cousins,a little sister and a niece that understand that some snakes are dangerous,what they eat and why they're on this earth. It's not rocket science and it's not hard for kids to watch where they're going or what is going on around them.

If I was worried about my kid getting bit my kid wouldn't be out there jackin around where they could get bit. If I was paying for a lease to hunt on my kids likely wouldn't be out there running around hollering and screaming and everything else anyway until they were older and mature enough to pay attention or worry about whether or not they're gonna get bit so that I wouldn't have to.

I'm just going by how I was raised and how I've seen other kids raised because their parents were raised like I was. Even going out to play at my grandparents house we heard "watch for snakes" all the time. Where I am now is where I grew up. The middle of nowhere. Stickers and snakes is all that's out here. If you're around something all the time it's not hard to remember to watch out for it.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 05-30-2021, 10:36 PM.

Comment

It has nothing to do with being afraid of em. It has nothing to do with not teaching my kids to watch out for em. It dang sure has nothing to do with respect, lack of respect, understanding their purpose, not understanding their purpose or knowing which ones are venomous or not. I do all those things. I also kill em if they're in my space. You guys talk like everything outside my door is their space. It ain't. It's mine too. We share it. They bite me if I get too close and I kill em if they do. Period. It may not keep me from getting bit by a snake but it'll dang sure keep me from getting bit by that one. Men been killin' em for thousands of years and It ain't hurt the population none. I think I'll continue do my part for conservation, just like I do on hogs. They just do what they were created to do too but their a nuisance and I kill em. I see venomous snakes the same way. Don't need em. Plenty of non venomous ones to do the job.
                            Besides, I still got a grudge against em for the whole garden of eden debacle!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by rolylane6; 05-30-2021, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I kill every rattle snake that I see, I'll even swerve on the highway to run one over.

A rattle snake with no rattles is a horrible combination and should have been killed.

I've hunted places that have chicken wire all around the yard of the camp/ranch house. I'm making some ground blinds out of cattle panels and will be putting chicken wire on the bottom 2ft of it.

Comment

People have DIED from their bites. Not real common, but it HAS happened. Just saw the other day where care flight was involved on a deer lease cause of a rattler bite. Saw a pic here on tbh of a 4 year old in the hospital for a long time cause of a rattler bite at deer camp. I’ve killed 6-8, 2 yesterday in camp. I’ll go ahead and say it- you’re stupid if you let one live.

Comment

Working...
                                X