Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half Cow Cost?

Hey y’all!

I have the opportunity to purchase a half cow, grass fed/grain finished at $4.25/lb hanging weight with processing included.

Is this a good deal? Need some help from the TBH Rancher crowd.

I'd think not a good deal. But it depends on how good the meat is. If it's prime then maybe.

But I really don't know. I just know you can buy a 800# calf for around $700 but then you'd butcher it yourself..and don't know the quality of the calf either.

So I'm not much help

Comment

That’s cheaper than what I’ve seen. If it’s a known quality cow I’d say go for it so long as you trust their weights and butchering.

Comment

I just split one with my FIL and paid more than that. But, I don't know that we got a good deal either... He was just excited about it so I told him I'd split.

Comment

Goes for $4.95lb processed around the house.
          Processed weight is around 400 to 500lbs generally.
          So $2k to $2.5k for whole steer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a pretty good deal if you can get it like it you want!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              That’s cheaper than what I’ve seen. If it’s a known quality cow I’d say go for it so long as you trust their weights and butchering.

It’s a beefmaster calf

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              I'd think not a good deal. But it depends on how good the meat is. If it's prime then maybe.

But I really don't know. I just know you can buy a 800# calf for around $700 but then you'd butcher it yourself..and don't know the quality of the calf either.

So I'm not much help

Lol thanks RiverRat!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

So I'm not much help
                Atleast you CYA!

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                  That's a pretty good deal if you can get it like it you want!

I just pick what I want off the cut sheet! Kinda overwhelming lol

Comment

Been seeing $5.50 locally. I’m no expert on it.

I’m in on some prime ribeyes at $5.50 per pound!

Comment

When I had some acreage, I bought a 200 lb steer and raised it to slaughter. But, I got to thinking that I would have to have all the meat, even the cuts I don't care for along with the trim, ground beef. I sold that steer, made good money on it, and then went to Kroger and bought what I wanted. Now, I wait for meat to go on sale and buy a bunch and freeze it. I have prime rib roasts that cost 4.97 and flat irons that cost 5.99 in the freezer right now. Paying the price you are paying for that and ground beef along with stew meat and chuck roast/steaks is high to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                        When I had some acreage, I bought a 200 lb steer and raised it to slaughter. But, I got to thinking that I would have to have all the meat, even the cuts I don't care for along with the trim, ground beef. I sold that steer, made good money on it, and then went to Kroger and bought what I wanted. Now, I wait for meat to go on sale and buy a bunch and freeze it. I have prime rib roasts that cost 4.97 and flat irons that cost 5.99 in the freezer right now. Paying the price you are paying for that and ground beef along with stew meat and chuck roast/steaks is high to me.
                        I shop at Kroger almost daily and they have great choice steaks. I see either side of it. Just a personal preference IMO.

Comment

There's a lot to consider when purchasing from a known vs. an unknown individual.
                          Some Basics Questions...
                          *Do you know and trust the seller
                          *What breed is it, some breeds marble better than others while some are tough through and through
                          *How old, cattle over 30 months are subject to bone removal so bone in cuts are not available ie. soup bones, ribs, T-bone etc.
                          *Has it been subject to or free of growth hormones or antibiotics, when was last time animal ingested
                          *If antibiotics are given was it separated from herd
                          *How long will it age
                          *What is the type of grass/feed was fed, young green grass, old straw hay and what ____ this makes a difference on richness, texture, marbling, juiciness, tenderness and overall depth of flavor
                          *Careful husbandry also results in tenderness an flavor (which is not obtained through the wild west cowboys or supermarkets)
                          *Who will butcher and has the seller used them previously
                          *Who decides on the cuts
                          *Do you get the inners, are they included in hanging weight
                          *How will it be wrapped (paper, saran or vacuum seal)
                          *Who will pick up, is there travel time involved, fuel prices are on the rise along with everything else

Buying from an individual...
                          *Can be the best decision you'll ever make if your homework proves out to be accurate
                          *Knowing that growth hormones and antibiotics are not going to be part of your diet
                          *Knowing the beef has not left the country, trucked and shipped to who knows where, and processed outside the USA and only returned for you to ingest
                          *Can give you benefits being high Omega-3, low Omega-6, a healthy choice

There's more to it than just the price, wouldn't you agree?
                          This is just a good starting point. Remember, you own the decision.
                          Good luck on your purchase, whatever it may be...

tending the fire,
                          Bob G.

Comment

Half Cow Cost?

Lots of good thoughts there [emoji1318][emoji1318][emoji1318]

We sell calves at $5.95 hanging weight. About to pull our trigger on our sponsorship here on TBH.

I’d say that’s a pretty fair deal.. especially if you know the calf has been handled properly and you get to pick your cuts.

Comment

If your talking about an old worn out cow your going to get hamburger and a bunch of cuts that will be tough. I would just go to a meat market and buy the cuts you actually eat.

Comment

Working...
                              X