any good disfunctional family christmas stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Davoh View Post
    First Christmas after I married my wife. All of my in-laws are pretty great, other than my wife's brother. A real "piece of work", he would spend all his money on his vehicles, then refuse to get anything for his parents or sister. The only reason he got something for his mother, was (and I quote) "Shut [her] the f*** up" (spoken to her face).

Wife and I had just found out that parenthood for us would be a certified miracle, so all the family talk at dinner Christmas Eve, about "when's the kids coming?" was really wearing thin on my wife. Her brother, posts a message on Facebook(while we're at the dinner table, knowing the entire situation) about how happy he is for his sister and her new family, and that he was looking forward to our having kids. And he tags her on facebook, so everyone we know on both sides of the family is getting this notification about it. Both of our phones start blowing up with people saying "OMG CONGRATULATIONS!", to which we have to explain the situation.

My wife at this point is crying, really upset, which leads him to make more offhand comments about how stupid she is. I'm a pretty level headed guy, but admittedly I get a little hot tempered when someone hurts my wife. I start closing distance, when their grandmother(who's 75+ y/o, about 4'10", and maybe a 100 lbs soaking wet) steps in front of me, and quite loudly says(prompting me by my full name), "It's Christmas Eve, so you'll have to just turn the other cheek... (and turns over her shoulder) even if he is being complete ***hole..." This from one of the sweetest little old ladies I'd ever met.

Fast forward nine months, we hadn't spoken to him since that 'event'(a big deal since he and my wife up till we got married, would talk multiple times a day...). We run into him at their parent's place. Apparently he had unplugged a freezer that I'd been keeping in their garage, full of groceries and venison(which all spoiled). She confronts him, and that is responded to with him punching her. I'm not sure how it got to that point. I just hear her from inside the house, scream out "stop, get off of me". I look out to see him man-handling her, throw her face first into the side of his truck(hard enough to for me to hear the "thunk" from inside the house), and punch her in the head. While yelling obscenities about her. I step outside already mad, and yell at him 3 times to get off her, his response was laugh, and hit her again. The 4th time i ordered him to let go, it was backed up with my pistol being drawn. Now that I had his attention, and he was threatening me, the pistol went back in the holster, and placed on the hood of the car.

Yet, I'm the one everyone resents, and no one will bother to talk to me about it.

*shrugs*
    Dang man, wish he wasn't such a jerk that you had to do something and now you're the bad guy. He was out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus is Coming View Post
      Dang man, wish he wasn't such a jerk that you had to do something and now you're the bad guy. He was out of hand.
      Tonight's dinner wasn't all that bad. We just kinda stayed quiet and waited for them to leave. Then everything was pretty ok.

That said, I still wasn't invited to the family fish-fry tomorrow, while my wife is on a 36 hour shift at the fire station.

Comment

Let me preface this with the fact that I'm 34 years old and my parents have been divorced since I was 10...Well, the wife and I just got home from my mother's house as I'd had enough of both Glenlivet and listening to my mother and her boyfriend argue about whether playing music in your golf cart on the golf course is being inconsiderate and trashy or not. All whilst my father is there as well and is officiating the exchange nonetheless. Yes folks, I'm a fairly screwed up individual...haha
        Last edited by kck; 12-24-2015, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Disfunction is behind us. I suggest y'all do the same and ride off from it. It's not worth keeping.

Comment

My niece and SIL live in Oregon but are home for the holidays. At the dinner table, my son tells everybody that my niece says they are moving to Canada if Trump wins the presidency. It was all I could do to not respond how I wanted to. It's the one time a year my wife gets to visit with her and I promised to be on my best behavior.

Comment

First Christmas after I married my wife. All of my in-laws are pretty great, other than my wife's brother. A real "piece of work", he would spend all his money on his vehicles, then refuse to get anything for his parents or sister. The only reason he got something for his mother, was (and I quote) "Shut [her] the f*** up" (spoken to her face).

Wife and I had just found out that parenthood for us would be a certified miracle, so all the family talk at dinner Christmas Eve, about "when's the kids coming?" was really wearing thin on my wife. Her brother, posts a message on Facebook(while we're at the dinner table, knowing the entire situation) about how happy he is for his sister and her new family, and that he was looking forward to our having kids. And he tags her on facebook, so everyone we know on both sides of the family is getting this notification about it. Both of our phones start blowing up with people saying "OMG CONGRATULATIONS!", to which we have to explain the situation.

My wife at this point is crying, really upset, which leads him to make more offhand comments about how stupid she is. I'm a pretty level headed guy, but admittedly I get a little hot tempered when someone hurts my wife. I start closing distance, when their grandmother(who's 75+ y/o, about 4'10", and maybe a 100 lbs soaking wet) steps in front of me, and quite loudly says(prompting me by my full name), "It's Christmas Eve, so you'll have to just turn the other cheek... (and turns over her shoulder) even if he is being complete ***hole..." This from one of the sweetest little old ladies I'd ever met.

Fast forward nine months, we hadn't spoken to him since that 'event'(a big deal since he and my wife up till we got married, would talk multiple times a day...). We run into him at their parent's place. Apparently he had unplugged a freezer that I'd been keeping in their garage, full of groceries and venison(which all spoiled). She confronts him, and that is responded to with him punching her. I'm not sure how it got to that point. I just hear her from inside the house, scream out "stop, get off of me". I look out to see him man-handling her, throw her face first into the side of his truck(hard enough to for me to hear the "thunk" from inside the house), and punch her in the head. While yelling obscenities about her. I step outside already mad, and yell at him 3 times to get off her, his response was laugh, and hit her again. The 4th time i ordered him to let go, it was backed up with my pistol being drawn. Now that I had his attention, and he was threatening me, the pistol went back in the holster, and placed on the hood of the car.

Yet, I'm the one everyone resents, and no one will bother to talk to me about it.

*shrugs*
              You sir are a better man than I...pretty sure I'd still be whipping his arse!

Comment

*shrugs*

He was hitting your wife and you gave him 3 verbal warnings? My wife's family would be giving me the cold shoulder for letting it go that long. Not saying you handled it wrong because I wasn't in your shoes but I just can't see how they would have expected that situation to end any better. It could have been justifiably way worse for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                  Disfunction is behind us. I suggest y'all do the same and ride off from it. It's not worth keeping.
                  ^^^^^^^^ Wise words spoken there....

Originally posted by TxMedic View Post
                  You sir are a better man than I...pretty sure I'd still be whipping his arse!
                  Nothing virtuous about it. He's about 6'7", and works for the rail road. That's not a fight I want to be in. Two things will happen. Either he'll whip me, or I'll seriously hurt him. lose-lose for me. I only wanted the threat ended.

Originally posted by akey View Post
                  He was hitting your wife and you gave him 3 verbal warnings? My wife's family would be giving me the cold shoulder for letting it go that long. Not saying you handled it wrong because I wasn't in your shoes but I just can't see how they would have expected that situation to end any better. It could have been justifiably way worse for him.
                  "But their sweet innocent baby-boy could never hurt anyone..." (insert rolling eyes here)

Comment

^^^^^^^^ Wise words spoken there....

Nothing virtuous about it. He's about 6'7", and works for the rail road. That's not a fight I want to be in. Two things will happen. Either he'll whip me, or I'll seriously hurt him. lose-lose for me. I only wanted the threat ended.

"But their sweet innocent baby-boy could never hurt anyone..." (insert rolling eyes here)

What is your wife's response to that? Especially when the parents say that. Does she enable him, too? No judgement here because I have a dysfunctional family too.

Comment

Originally posted by akey View Post
                      What is your wife's response to that? Especially when the parents say that. Does she enable him, too? No judgement here because I have a dysfunctional family too.
                      It frustrates her. That's about the best way I can put it.

Comment

The absolute best thread yet!!! Keep it
                        Coming!��

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
                          Long time ago I politely aske my now ex uncle to step out side after he contentiously insulted my mother. I whooped him and locked him outside. He left and they divorced a year later. I was 22yo. It was festive and jolly when I came back inside.

Your mom was married to your uncle?

Comment

Originally posted by TallTexan View Post
                            Your mom was married to your uncle?
                            When I read that last night, I wasn't sure what to make of it... It sounds a little more than dysfunctional

Comment

*shrugs*

Wow, i hate to hear things like this happen.
                              Wish you and your family a Merry Christmas.

I thought i had it rough having to deal with one of those "gluten free granola cruncher" SIL. Talk about a strange woman. Wont let her kids be kids and play outside. Freaks about every little thing like mosquito bites, dirt, and random red marks kids naturally get from playing on the floor.

Comment

Lol, good thread

Last night my SIL reminded me of a Christmas back in Illinois about 30 years ago.
                                I was home on leave from the Army and the jackwad big brother and his evil wife showed up.
                                I'll spare the details, but it ended with the hardest fist fight I've ever been in..... Destroyed the living room.
                                It's sad but life ain't always perfect. I have not spoken to him in 15 years, nor has anyone else in our family......

Comment

Working...
                                X