Where to put 20 yard pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to put 20 yard pin

I've researched, but I cannot find the info. I have a 5 pin sight. I am getting back into shooting, but never got past 20 yards. Where in the sight housing should I put the 20 yard pin so most my pins are about even in the sight housing? If it helps, I am shooting a 2014 PSE Vision set at around 55 pounds. It is currently at the top of the housing, but I don't want to start setting pins then have to redo again because they are not centered in the sight housing (I'm OCD like that...lol). Any help will be appreciated. P.S., all pins were moved to the bottom of the sight housing and are no longer where they were from the factory. I can shoot up to 20 yards in my yard, maybe up to 30, but past 30 I would have to go to a park or to a real range.

To each his own, but I put my most used pins, 20 and 30yd in this case, centered in the sight housing. So my 20 is slightly above center, 30 slightly below.

Comment

I like my 20 pin to be near the center of the housing. It is natural for you eye to center on that and I think that best for hunting. It may not leave room for all your pins. If you are geared to hunting you may not need over 20 to 40 or 50 yard settings

Comment

I'm not geared for anything yet, but would like all my pins set just in case. I just don't want to start setting them and be like, "well I could move them all down another 1/4 of an inch.

Comment

If you want them all centered then start with the middle pin at whatever distances you have determined (on a multi sight I always set one at 10yd increments ie 20,30,40,50,60)

You didn't give much info other than you are shooting 55# so you may find that 5yd increments work better for you (heavy arrow out of 55# will have bigger gaps between 10yd pins)

I would start with a 20yd, then set a 30. Check the gap and see if you want a 25.
          Determine your effective range (based on accuracy and what you feel comfortable with) and set one 10yds greater than that to give you something to challenge yourself with when practicing and get rid of the extras.

Comment

BT, I never thought about setting the middle pin first! So I would center that one in the middle of the site then either raise or lower the actual housing until it hits the mark. Thank you so much.

Comment

I like mine just a little above center

Comment

First thing you have to consider is what is going to be the distance of your furthest/last pin. For example, if your last pin is going to be set for 60 yards then you probably can't put your 20 yard pin close to the middle of your sight, it will have to go close to the top to make room for your 60 yard pin at the bottom. Now if you don't think you will ever shoot out to 60 yards and only go with 40 max. Sight in your 30 yard pin right in the middle as someone suggested above. Me personally, I would never have my max pin be 40 yards. Even though I don't shoot animals past that anymore, it's always fun to shoot longer distances especially if your shooting with friends. Also practicing at those longer distances will make 20-30 seam like a chip shot.

Comment

I usually put my 20 above my 30

Comment

Don't have a 20. My 30 is slightly above the center of my sight housing. If I had a 20, it would be touching my 30 pin. That's too much material in my line of sight.

Comment

On a multi pin sight, I like to put my 20 pin about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down from the top of the sight. For me, if it is too high, I can’t see much of the target because the housing blocks the top, and the 30 and 40 pins block the lower part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I put the second pin in the middle and sight it in for 30 yds. 20 is just above it and 40 is just below. I took the other two pins and moved them to the bottom since I wont shoot over 40 yds during the season, and then only while practicing. In the Spring I will put pin #4 at 50 yds for practice.

Comment

Terran, can't go wrong with any of the suggestions, all have their merits.

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate the knowledge you have bestowed upon me!

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              If you want them all centered then start with the middle pin at whatever distances you have determined (on a multi sight I always set one at 10yd increments ie 20,30,40,50,60)

You didn't give much info other than you are shooting 55# so you may find that 5yd increments work better for you (heavy arrow out of 55# will have bigger gaps between 10yd pins)

I would start with a 20yd, then set a 30. Check the gap and see if you want a 25.
                              Determine your effective range (based on accuracy and what you feel comfortable with) and set one 10yds greater than that to give you something to challenge yourself with when practicing and get rid of the extras.
                              Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                              I put the second pin in the middle and sight it in for 30 yds. 20 is just above it and 40 is just below. I took the other two pins and moved them to the bottom since I wont shoot over 40 yds during the season, and then only while practicing. In the Spring I will put pin #4 at 50 yds for practice.
                              This, set your middle pin first.

Comment

Working...
                              X