Let's see your quail feeder/water setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see your quail feeder/water setups

I'm about to put out a couple quail feeders on our new place. Just looking for ideas. What works for you?

Do you have Turkey?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      Do you have Turkey?
      Occasionally, but I'm not trying to attract them.

Comment

Also, if anybody has any steel barrels with removeable lids, I need to buy a couple.

Comment

You can use a turkey feeder and cut the legs off so it sets on the ground. Take a 55 gallon barrel and screw a funnel about 4 “ above the base. Cut holes so the birds can walk in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Made this in my garage, there is a plastic 55 gallon barrel that gravity feeds the dog bowl with a float. The roof is tin, and has a small gutter, so the idea is that it catches rain/moisture. I put a 35 gallon metal barrel with milo in it, but haven't heard a quail in a while.

Just a heads up, there are a lot of different opinions about having a permanent feeding station for quail, some will say that hawks or any other predator will hang out over the feeder and pick off the birds coming and going.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
              Made this in my garage, there is a plastic 55 gallon barrel that gravity feeds the dog bowl with a float. The roof is tin, and has a small gutter, so the idea is that it catches rain/moisture. I put a 35 gallon metal barrel with milo in it, but haven't heard a quail in a while.

Just a heads up, there are a lot of different opinions about having a permanent feeding station for quail, some will say that hawks or any other predator will hang out over the feeder and pick off the birds coming and going.
              Nice. This was one I was looking at too - similar to yours....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7YCOaBqEHY"]Quail Station Assembly - YouTube[/ame]

I do plan to set mine up next to escape cover so the quail won't be sitting ducks out in the wide open. Gonna put panels around it to keep hogs out, but hopefully provide a little bobcat protection as well. Don't know if I'll do a metal roof rain catchment or not, but that's a great setup.

Comment

Pretty slick - may have to hide one on our place too for predator protection. Thanks for ideas I didn’t know I needed. It’s just money, right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shane we thought about doing the same at the ranch and the biologist said be careful it could backfire on you. He said bobcats and feral cats figure it out pretty quick and set up on them like people do a deer feeder

Comment

Chew will post shortly!

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
                      Chew will post shortly!
                      Wrong kinda quail! [emoji15][emoji851][emoji2]

Comment

quail

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        Wrong kinda quail! [emoji15][emoji851][emoji2]
                        lol

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          Nice. This was one I was looking at too - similar to yours....

Quail Station Assembly - YouTube.

Yes sir, saw that and made my own, cheaper version. I can post a few others if you’d like, just have to dig. The price tag for the one above was stupid high.

Comment

Working...
                          X