No announcement yet.

The rut is hard on bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see 40-50 pound loss even in east Texas after the rut.

Comment

Our deer look bigger with night time picks compared to one's on a angle.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
        Our deer look bigger with night time picks compared to one's on a angle.

I don’t have any daytime pics saved on my phone but he would have been 200 on the hoof in October.

Recently I haven’t seen him much. He was chasing does still in the pic above.

Comment

I’ve found 3 dead mature bucks since the week of Christmas just riding the roads, it’s pretty common to find one or two every year but we haven’t even looked yet so I’m afraid we’re going to find more than I want to next month when we start shed hunting. Oklahoma was rough on the deer this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
            I don’t have any daytime pics saved on my phone but he would have been 200 on the hoof in October.

Recently I haven’t seen him much. He was chasing does still in the pic above.
            I hope he's not sick. Crazy amount of weight

Comment

Maybe he's one of the deer with covid folks keep talking about

Comment

I think he’s just really old and getting one of his last good ruts in. I might try to get some protein out to help.

Comment

I always have a couple on camera that do the same thing. Just think that's how it works, and this year was really dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Allpublic View Post
                    This poor guy looks rough
                    That first pic looks like the deer on the TPW CWD page.

Comment

Our bucks in goliad this year were very thin going into the rut
                      Not sure if it was last winter, ,drought, no acorns or combination of all those.
                      Deer hammered the corn all season. Landowner said the bucks were lightest (least fat) he had ever see.

BP

Comment

So many of us saw fewer does, a LOT fewer, so I wonder too if they had to chase harder and longer to find them.

Comment

I feel sorry for the bucks, they get a chance to get some bootie once a year, got to fight for it, starve and run to death for it, get shot at in the process, man, my luck I’d be a spike

Comment

Lack of acorns this year was not good for the deer. The ones we shot had very little fat on them going into the coldest months.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                              Lack of acorns this year was not good for the deer. The ones we shot had very little fat on them going into the coldest months.
                              We did not have any acorns this year and the rut kicked their butts. We decided to started protein in December this year, and the deer are already looking better.

Comment

Working...
                              X