Home or Processor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home or Processor?

Process your meat at home OR take to processor?

I do my own and have for years. But looking into the wait times of my local area, I'm in talks about opening my own processor.

Comment

Home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Home, when I was young we did not have money for anything else. I did not know a processor or anyone who used one. Now it is just part of what I do. I have taken my meat for grind it a couple of times.

Comment

We've always process at home

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Comment

Home. Same as plano above, growing up we couldn't afford a processor.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Home.......if there are any problems, I know who's to blame, whose meat I've got, and exactly how it was handled every step of the way.

Comment

Home. From the field to the freezer, I know how the meat was taken care of. That being said, I am about whooped this year with about 5 more left to process this year. It's a little work, but for me worth it. Between my 2 kids and me I'm doing 10 to 15 per year, the way I look at it is $ saved for corn, lease payment, etc.

Question for those getting a processor to do it, what is the cost$ for a quartered deer to do ? last I remember it was 75.00 - 100.00 to debone and process

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                  Home.......if there are any problems, I know who's to blame, whose meat I've got, and exactly how it was handled every step of the way.
                  This.
                  I've always wondered how well they handled the meat with low paid employees and think that a lot more so this past couple years. Same with meat one buys at the store. It has to be touched by lots of people and moved onto trucks and in/out of refrigeration at least a few times.

I understand people who like to have good sausage, jerky, links made from their deer taking it to a processor though. That stuff isn't easy. I just grind mine.

Comment

I have only taken the last 3 deer to a processor (JT`s Deer Processing). I know him personally and trust him and his operation completely. I have all of the equipment and 26 year's' experience cutting meat and managing a meat market. I just decided that I don`t need the practice anymore after cutting up my own and my sons for almost 40 years. I just have to wash out the back of my truck when I get home. Money well spent. Now, if I didn`t know him personally I might feel different about taking it to a processor. Having a lease close to home and a processor now (15 miles away) instead 1.5 hours away and not camping at lease like we did for the last 20 years also is factored in.

Comment

Processor - this year we brought them to an Amish locker. $80 per deer all-in for steaks and burger.

Comment

Home. Already have all the equipment, seasonings, and know how I want everything.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

About 50 50.

Comment

Home

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Home

Comment

Working...
                              X