No announcement yet.

2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ The does all moved north and the bucks stayed south? In all seriousness, seems like reports from the East Tx counties further north are not reporting declining numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
      ^ The does all moved north and the bucks stayed south? In all seriousness, seems like reports from the East Tx counties further north are not reporting declining numbers.
      I don't know about that. LOL One of the counties I spoke of is Anderson, and it's as bad or worse than our place in Trinity.

I've thought about the alternate food sources hypothesis too. I mean there's been so much timber cutting everywhere, and with all the rain and no freeze yet, there's still a ton of green browse to be had. I thought maybe acorns after the winds in October, but I never did see hulls or shells on the ground indicating there were any to begin with.

I will say too that in years past at the lease we'd always remarked how there seemed to be a lack of fawns see or on camera, but that was not the case this year. We've never seen so many fawns as we did this spring and summer, but they're all just gone.

I sure hope things improve next season. If it continues on it's current path things are going to get really bad for deer hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Allpublic View Post
        I hunt 3 different counties around me and as far as sightings go, i have seen about the same number of deer as the last couple of years. Difference being, that i have seen way more bucks this year than does. It seems that the deer numbers are good everywhere i hunt, as i see deer on nearly every sit, but in the last several years i haven't seen the large groups of does that i used to. Im not so sure thats a bad thing though, because the does used to out number the bucks 10-1. I believe the population has been balancing out, but agree that does are down this year, at least where i hunt. But every year is a little different, maybe the freeze had something to do with this year, overall the hunting has been good though. I dont believe we need to change the doe limits. Majority of the people i know dont even shoot does, and those that do shoot does only shoot 1 or 2 a year. I personally havent shot more than 1 doe a year for the last several years, but i shoot 2 to 3 bucks every year. As i said most people i know hunt this way, and if that is true than there are way more bucks killed every year than does. I am betting next year does are back up from this year and the herds will be pretty balanced.
        this is exactly what I have experienced. Also most in my club will say we have no deer and that they are not seeing deer. However, They are ALL hunting over a corn feeder where as I have no corn feeder where I hunt and I am seeing tons of deer. I have seen a huge increase in 6 month to 1.5 year old bucks this year. Way more than normal.

Comment

I think the freeze hurt and they aren't having to hit the feeders. So far this year I have hunted Anderson County, Van Zandt County, and Cass county. I shot a doe in Van Zandt, and a spike in Cass at my FIL. In Van Zandt we have 2 groups of 5 doe that come around everyday but only 1 mature buck left from last season, and there are 3 young bucks on camera at night. In Anderson county there is a group of 4 doe on the small acreage we hunt and 3 young bucks and ZERO mature bucks when there were several left after the season last year. And Cass county I only hunted once but saw 5 doe, 1 spike and a nice 8 in one sit.

I say all that to say I think the mature bucks got hit the hardest by the freeze, I had my eye on several after last season but haven't seen them once on camera this season. Our doe populations are about the same as they have been, and the number of young bucks is about the same as I am used to seeing, but as far as Mature deer, those numbers seem down. Also I only have one camera on a feeder, it's on a protein feeder in Van Zandt county and that's where all the doe are at everyday there, all the bucks have been on food plots or trails.

Comment

I know one thing I don't have a shortage of is crows. My god I've never seen anything like it. Alfred Hitchcock would be jealous. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              I know one thing I don't have a shortage of is crows. My god I've never seen anything like it. Alfred Hitchcock would be jealous. LOL

This. The squirrel hunting at my place is gonna be superb come Feb also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                An electric owl in distress call, a few buddies and several boxes of shells could remedy that situation. If you have never done it, I promise you it’s fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                  An electric owl in distress call, a few buddies and several boxes of shells could remedy that situation. If you have never done it, I promise you it’s fun.
                  I wanna see what happens a when ballistic tip smashes one of them squawking ****ers in the head.

Comment

If you haven’t been following my live thread my good friend and lease mate killed the big deer I have spent all year on. We both had a ton of hours in on him. New 40 acre place that we picked up in July and put a bunch of work in to. I’m about to spread out and do some killing now. Bucks are definitely getting hungry. This guy was a ghost til last week. 158” trinity co

Comment

Congrats to your buddy. What a great buck !!!

Comment

Giant!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

2021-22 east texas season

Congrats to your buddy Tony!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yeah thats an awesome deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoodkiller View Post
                              We are in rusk county and are seeing the opposite. We have never had this many deer ever. Everyone will see anywhere from 5-15 just about every sit. And this is from 7 different blinds. Haven’t seen any real mature bucks yet but lots of 2 year old 8 and 9 points

Well I found out where are deer are

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post

If you haven’t been following my live thread my good friend and lease mate killed the big deer I have spent all year on. We both had a ton of hours in on him. New 40 acre place that we picked up in July and put a bunch of work in to. I’m about to spread out and do some killing now. Bucks are definitely getting hungry. This guy was a ghost til last week. 158” trinity co

Congrats to your buddy, dang good buck

Comment

Working...
                                X