2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jershua View Post
    To clarify this was the 1st buck on our 33 acre tract, I shot a buck at 30 yards on my lease this year and the pics are posted on this thread. It’s a crossbow, I had a aiming stick, and was stable with the shot. But I guess it didn’t go perfectly and need more time in the saddle, you are right.

How far have you guys all tracked deer when you thought it was a vital shot? I am trying to learn the blood trail part I guess.
    I’ve never had to trail a deer farther than 50 yards after maybe 15 whitetails in 30 years. I’ve never lost a deer either but my day is coming and I know that. But most people would wonder why I hunt at all if they saw how selective I am when actually letting one fly. It took me 2 years just to learn when to draw on a deer without spooking them.

Comment

Yeah I need more practice. Just wish I knew what went wrong on the shot or what happened for him to go so easy past 120 yards with good blood trail. Bummer.

Comment

Yeah I need more practice. Just wish I knew what went wrong on the shot or what happened for him to go so easy past 120 yards with good blood trail. Bummer.

Just finished watching an episode of THP where Aaron shot a nice buck at his home farm - double lung shot from 15 yds and the deer made it 350 yds before it died. They are tough animals and it is definitely possible that he made it off your property and is laying dead on the neighbors side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The furthest I have tracked a deer hit in the vitals is about 60 yards.

Like Gumbo Man, I am very selective in when I will take a shot. Everything has to be right and patience will pay off. My longest shot ever on a deer is 32 yards, but most were within 15. I have lost one animal out of 100+ in 42 years.

Jershua...what broad head and was it shaving sharp?? I have seen deer shot with dull broadheads go a long ways.

Comment

Something strange going on with the deer sign in the Pineywoods...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211102-131448_Facebook.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	559.4 KB
ID:	24666572

Comment

Finally had a good one come visit after cooling off . . Backyard river bottom buck . .

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Comment

Starting to move before the front
                Attached Files

Comment

Yesterday was a great day in the woods. Lot of activity on our lease, had a mature basket racked 8 point come in and his neck was gouged open on the backside from fighting. Came in and laid down two scrapes before making his way to the corn pile. Think I need to take some rattling antlers and go sit down in the young pine thicket I hunt around. Seems like you miss a whole lot of activity when you’re elevated and can’t see into the pines.

Comment

New bucks showing up
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                      Yesterday was a great day in the woods. Lot of activity on our lease, had a mature basket racked 8 point come in and his neck was gouged open on the backside from fighting. Came in and laid down two scrapes before making his way to the corn pile. Think I need to take some rattling antlers and go sit down in the young pine thicket I hunt around. Seems like you miss a whole lot of activity when you’re elevated and can’t see into the pines.

First deer I ever rattled in I was sitting down in some young pines about 24" tall. Made it easy to stay concealed, then raise up to draw as he went past.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                        First deer I ever rattled in I was sitting down in some young pines about 24" tall. Made it easy to stay concealed, then raise up to draw as he went past.

That’s awesome. My “young” pine thicket is about 15-25’ tall. From my elevated box blind I can’t see in more than 15 yards. Think I’m going to have to adjust next season so I can see what’s going on.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                          That’s awesome. My “young” pine thicket is about 15-25’ tall. From my elevated box blind I can’t see in more than 15 yards. Think I’m going to have to adjust next season so I can see what’s going on.

Sounds like some spots on my lease. A popup blind works well for me there.

Comment

Too late now but call the warden and see if he can talk to the crazy neighbor and try and find your deer. Being only 33 acres youre gonna end up in the same scenario again sooner or later

Comment

Will do for future references. Will move my stand to central of property to help eliminate this problem in the future and aim better...

Thanks for the input all and good luck this weekend!

Comment

Fun hunt yesterday evening. Snuck up tree a hair after 3:00. Seen first doe about 6:00pm she was as nervous as a cat in a thunderstorm. After watching her freak out for 25 straight minutes I heard a cough from a deer on the back of the thicket. A few minutes later I caught a nose full of pure stank! Smelled like a whole barn full of billy goats Lol

I was so focused on doe (and telling myself “don’t focus on the doe”) that the first buck (2yo 8pt) ran right under me. Then “Stanky” walked out from her other side. (3yo 9pt) He’s the buck that is always with Main Event”. Doe took off. “Stanky” destroys a tree then squared off with the 8 before running him off. I just knew any minute “ME” would come down trail. He was there right at dark- 15 or so after several times in past week.

Stanky left just as it was dark enough I had to use binos to see him at 25 yards. I took that exit as a chance to get out of there before I got pinned in all night long (I was cold and damp anyway… weather man kinda missed the forecast)

Comment

Working...
                                X