No announcement yet.

2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen soooo many deer today, but all young. Decided to go watch some of our youth girls play their district volleyball game (they won!). From my house to Pittsburg I lost track of bucks standing on road side and wide open fields. A few had doe. Hopefully going tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      Seen soooo many deer today, but all young. Decided to go watch some of our youth girls play their district volleyball game (they won!). From my house to Pittsburg I lost track of bucks standing on road side and wide open fields. A few had doe. Hopefully going tomorrow
      I’m seeing fewer and fewer deer on camera at my lease at a time they should be all over them. Of course this is on timber company land so most rut activity goes unseen. For the next three weeks though I’ll be at out farm, perched on top of a ridge in a great big ol’ hay pasture where I can watch and see those suckers running everything everywhere. LOL

But seriously, I’m really getting frustrated with deer movement at my lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        I’m seeing fewer and fewer deer on camera at my lease at a time they should be all over them. Of course this is on timber company land so most rut activity goes unseen. For the next three weeks though I’ll be at out farm, perched on top of a ridge in a great big ol’ hay pasture where I can watch and see those suckers running everything everywhere. LOL

But seriously, I’m really getting frustrated with deer movement at my lease.
        Kind of got the same frustrations. Activity on both cell cameras have being little to none and what is showing up are all very young.

Came back to my lease yesterday morning to sit in a tree all week. I saw one yearling spike yesterday and that was it. And nothing moving at all this morning, at least so far. Unfortunately my place is extremely overgrown with underbrush and weeds this year. Couldnt even access areas with neighboring pastures just to watch for them.

I spooked a couple deer walking back to my 4 wheeler last night. What looked like a decent size buck (tall at least by the height of the eyes) with a doe. I am wondering if are locked down already.

Looks like rain all day tomorrow for the Grapeland area, with a very cool Thursday. Maybe that will be the day with cool temps and less crunch when I walk to my tree.

J

Comment

Was hunting at our small 33 acre place with lots of pressure on all sides. Have been hand corning everytime I go, got pics of a legal buck (very rare out there). 1st legal buck I have ever tried to kill. Did a estrus drag rag and had great wind. Target buck walks out down the road on the drag rag, sits at the corn that is 30 yards away. I fire a broadside shot and it felt great. Arrow went through and could easily find the blood trail. Tracked him for 120 yards and then he went into a neighbor property (who I feel would shoot me if I trespassed - he is crazy). Long story short, I have no idea why this deer traveled 120 yards over to his place with such good blood trails. I searched all over on my property and I lost him. Devistated.

Comment

Originally posted by jershua View Post
            Was hunting at our small 33 acre place with lots of pressure on all sides. Have been hand corning everytime I go, got pics of a legal buck (very rare out there). 1st legal buck I have ever tried to kill. Did a estrus drag rag and had great wind. Target buck walks out down the road on the drag rag, sits at the corn that is 30 yards away. I fire a broadside shot and it felt great. Arrow went through and could easily find the blood trail. Tracked him for 120 yards and then he went into a neighbor property (who I feel would shoot me if I trespassed - he is crazy). Long story short, I have no idea why this deer traveled 120 yards over to his place with such good blood trails. I searched all over on my property and I lost him. Devistated.
            I waited 45 minutes to go look for him and don't think I bumped him at all b/c i heard nothing when walking around. This was my 2nd shot at a buck with a bow and feel very down about losing him. Does a good hit deer usually go over 120 yards sometimes?

Comment

Don't trespass but I would definitely try to get in touch with the neighbor and ask for permission. Explain that you have blood all the way up until his land and you don't want the animal to go to waste.

Comment

I waited 45 minutes to go look for him and don't think I bumped him at all b/c i heard nothing when walking around. This was my 2nd shot at a buck with a bow and feel very down about losing him. Does a good hit deer usually go over 120 yards sometimes?
                He never laid down or anything from the blood trail, just a straight fast walk out of there leaving blood on the ground and on brushes, just was getting the heck out of there...

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                  Don't trespass but I would definitely try to get in touch with the neighbor and ask for permission. Explain that you have blood all the way up until his land and you don't want the animal to go to waste.
                  He is not a stable human being and I will not drive on his property to begin with and no one has his cell number - I have tried.

Comment

I probably would keep looking. Where a bullet proof vest

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Post pics of blood trail. Without a video or pics there's no way for us to be able to tell you. Walking with consistent blood sounds like brisket to me but that's just a complete guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ccallarman View Post
                        Post pics of blood trail. Without a video or pics there's no way for us to be able to tell you. Walking with consistent blood sounds like brisket to me but that's just a complete guess.
                        That's what I'm thinking. The deers been educated, but probably alive.

Comment

Pics of arrow and blood trail??

Comment

How do you guys post pics? I click on the yellow pic icon and it says add URL…which I don’t know how to do…

Comment

Jershua no offense my friend but until you get some clean kills under your belt 30 yards is a recipe for disaster. Personally I think you need to keep your shots inside 20 yards and as time goes by you will get better at anticipating how a deer will react in each situation. I hope you find your deer. But if not get back on that horse. It’ll come together eventually

Comment

To clarify this was the 1st buck on our 33 acre tract, I shot a buck at 30 yards on my lease this year and the pics are posted on this thread. It’s a crossbow, I had a aiming stick, and was stable with the shot. But I guess it didn’t go perfectly and need more time in the saddle, you are right.

How far have you guys all tracked deer when you thought it was a vital shot? I am trying to learn the blood trail part I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X