No announcement yet.

Axis Road Kill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not legal. Even though not a game animal, hit by car is not a legal means nor is it legal to take something from a public roadway.

Comment

Really?

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
      Not legal. Even though not a game animal, hit by car is not a legal means nor is it legal to take something from a public roadway.
      Show me the law that says it is illegal to take something from a roadway. Not saying you're wrong, just have never heard of such a law. Are we talking only wildlife or are we talking trash as well? Are coyotes included? Is there a law forbidding the taking of roadkilled livestock (exotics are considered nongame or livestock depending on whether or not it has an eartag)?

Comment

Never thought of that.. hmm.. in for correct answer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

bump

Comment

Show me what is legal means for an exotic.

Comment

I have always been told that it is illegal to take or pick up any roadkill in the state of Texas. (I do not have the exact law that says that) just what I have always been told and what the good-ole inter-web says also.

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
                I have always been told that it is illegal to take or pick up any roadkill in the state of Texas. (I do not have the exact law that says that) just what I have always been told and what the good-ole inter-web says also.
                I've seen that law (don't remember where) regarding game animals. Exotics are not classified as such.

Comment

I came across an axis buck that had been hit by a car and both back legs were shattered. He was dragging himself around by the front legs. I called Sheriff.. Deputy came out, put a bullet through it’s head, and then helped me load it in my truck. Was my first axis meat.

Comment

From TPWD:

hunt any wild animal or wild bird, including exotic animals, on foot or from a vehicle on any public road or road right- of-way, or a boat on public water, except that migratory waterfowl may be hunted from a boat or any floating craft (except a sinkbox) under certain conditions.

Main thing here is that it is done on a public roadway. GW's in Kerr county I know deal with it all the time. Most times if you hit one and call it in, they will let you pick up an exotic.

Comment

From TPWD:

hunt any wild animal or wild bird, including exotic animals, on foot or from a vehicle on any public road or road right- of-way, or a boat on public water, except that migratory waterfowl may be hunted from a boat or any floating craft (except a sinkbox) under certain conditions.

Main thing here is that it is done on a public roadway. GW's in Kerr county I know deal with it all the time. Most times if you hit one and call it in, they will let you pick up an exotic.
                      Key word here is, "hunt." Picking up a non-game animal and/or part of it off the side of the road is not illegal.

Comment

Bunp

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I always thought the roadkill law was one of the dumbest game laws in texas.

Comment

Just confirmed with a GW so everyone knows......it is ILLEGAL to pick up ANY roadkill of ANY KIND on Texas roads without contacting a GW first to get permission.

Comment

Just confirmed with a GW so everyone knows......it is ILLEGAL to pick up ANY roadkill of ANY KIND on Texas roads without contacting a GW first to get permission.
                              I believe that Tink was trying to change that law a couple years ago when he was trying to get elected to Congress. The media had fun with that

Comment

Was he able to cite the actual law? I've had to point out to an officer before that he misinterpreted the law. I was real respectful and he was cool about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X