The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    Why I went with a 7.62, plus ammo costs. I ran an AR-10 for 2 years and never seemed to have the same issue. But man does an AR10 lay a pig down wherever you hit them

Got tired of tuning and having issues with my AR-10. Soometimes it would go several hunts no issues. Then several times more often then not it would jam

AR-10's are hard to supressed and finicky!

I didn’t buy a high dollar one and at the time it was based solely on caliber. At the time it was a dollar a round, the guy that tried to fix it this time was adamant that the 5.56/.223 was adequate for hogs. I told him yea for the small ones or head shots, but the follow ups is where it takes more pews to put the big runners down and it’ll end up more $per hog. I was hot at one boy for spending $5 to kill a hog with that AR-10![emoji23][emoji23]

With ammo getting scare I’m kinda concern about 7.62x39 but I feel like that’s gonna be the best compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Alright guys I came over here to talk about iRay for a few minutes and BOOM I see y'all started without me.haha!

Ok so let's get the party started. iRay USA is based in Texas and they are importing and distributing some stock scopes but also taking those scopes and making improvements to the exteriors and creating their own models. I'm working very closely with iRay behind the scenes and Tyler, the owner, and I have been friends for a long time and we've had a great business relationship for years. He's a great guy.

I've been testing the iRay Rico MK1 for them for a couple months and Hans and I have already reviewed it on Ep. 143 of The Late Night Vision Show and Hans will be reviewing it on his HansETX channel soon.

I want to start here on go on the record and say something that is my personal opinion but seems to be shared by many people who have looked used these iRay 640 scopes....they are good, no they are great! The image quality is outstanding, the video recording quality speaks for itself and value for the dollar they are awesome. They are going to rock the market and the buzz they are creating is 100% well deserved. But so far, current models including the Rico MK1 and Alpha, as great as they are, they do not quite have the image quality of the N-Visions and some Trijicons. Now to be clear, they definitely have some of the best image quality I've ever seen but I can't honestly say it's "the" best or even equal to the best but it's dang good and it gives a lot of other thermal companies a real reason for concern.

There will be more iRay scopes to come in the future but right now what I can talk about is this....

Rico 640 MK1 3x $5,999
      Alpha 640 MK2 3x $6,999

Rico 384 MK1 4x $3,999
      Bolt 384 3x $3,299

There is a lot of confusion on the Alpha and I want to clear that up too.

Rico MK1 $5,999 (available now) vs Alpha $6,999 (available in Spring 2021)
      They are 100% the same guts, image quality, specs, magnification etc. The differences are the Alpha has:

Redesigned exterior body
      Painted coyote tan
      Magnetic USB power connections
      Different focus knob
      American Defense QD mount (included)
      Spare 6-8 hour battery (Rico comes with one, Alpha comes with 2)

So you're paying for the mount, extra battery pack and exterior design changes, that's it. Otherwise it's a Rico MK1. I'm not saying the Alpha isn't worth it, I just know a lot of people are under the impression it's a totally different unit and it's not.

We've already sold through the first round of Rico MK1's and I'll have more in a couple days. We should have the Rico 384 MK1's by next week and there will be more info on them soon.

I know that's a lot of info to digest but I hope it helps!

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
        Alright guys I came over here to talk about iRay for a few minutes and BOOM I see y'all started without me.haha!
        Any word on timing of the app for Macbook or iOS compatibility?

Comment

Any update on the Thermion XQ38? I'm impatiently waiting

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post

Ok so let's get the party started. iRay USA is based in Texas and they are importing and distributing some stock scopes but also taking those scopes and making improvements to the exteriors and creating their own models. I'm working very closely with iRay behind the scenes and Tyler, the owner, and I have been friends for a long time and we've had a great business relationship for years. He's a great guy.

I've been testing the iRay Rico MK1 for them for a couple months and Hans and I have already reviewed it on Ep. 143 of The Late Night Vision Show and Hans will be reviewing it on his HansETX channel soon.

I want to start here on go on the record and say something that is my personal opinion but seems to be shared by many people who have looked used these iRay 640 scopes....they are good, no they are great! The image quality is outstanding, the video recording quality speaks for itself and value for the dollar they are awesome. They are going to rock the market and the buzz they are creating is 100% well deserved. But so far, current models including the Rico MK1 and Alpha, as great as they are, they do not quite have the image quality of the N-Visions and some Trijicons. Now to be clear, they definitely have some of the best image quality I've ever seen but I can't honestly say it's "the" best or even equal to the best but it's dang good and it gives a lot of other thermal companies a real reason for concern.

There will be more iRay scopes to come in the future but right now what I can talk about is this....

Rico 640 MK1 3x $5,999
            Alpha 640 MK2 3x $6,999

Rico 384 MK1 4x $3,999
            Bolt 384 3x $3,299

There is a lot of confusion on the Alpha and I want to clear that up too.

Rico MK1 $5,999 (available now) vs Alpha $6,999 (available in Spring 2021)
            They are 100% the same guts, image quality, specs, magnification etc. The differences are the Alpha has:

Redesigned exterior body
            Painted coyote tan
            Magnetic USB power connections
            Different focus knob
            American Defense QD mount (included)
            Spare 6-8 hour battery (Rico comes with one, Alpha comes with 2)

So you're paying for the mount, extra battery pack and exterior design changes, that's it. Otherwise it's a Rico MK1. I'm not saying the Alpha isn't worth it, I just know a lot of people are under the impression it's a totally different unit and it's not.

We've already sold through the first round of Rico MK1's and I'll have more in a couple days. We should have the Rico 384 MK1's by next week and there will be more info on them soon.

I know that's a lot of info to digest but I hope it helps!

Jason
            Question: I own a Trijicon. By the looks of it, the video out/image of the MK1 beats my Reap. Or am I wrong?

The detail of the MK1 looks incredible

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
            I didn’t buy a high dollar one and at the time it was based solely on caliber. At the time it was a dollar a round, the guy that tried to fix it this time was adamant that the 5.56/.223 was adequate for hogs. I told him yea for the small ones or head shots, but the follow ups is where it takes more pews to put the big runners down and it’ll end up more $per hog. I was hot at one boy for spending $5 to kill a hog with that AR-10![emoji23][emoji23]

With ammo getting scare I’m kinda concern about 7.62x39 but I feel like that’s gonna be the best compromise.

From personal experience, I switched from an AR-10 to a 7.62 5-6 months ago and I love it. NOW, you can't beat the knock down of a .308 on running pigs.

BUT I have been very impressed with the 7.62. I just can't get myself to pay a $1 per trigger pull on a 308.

I am shooting 7.62 HP's and have killed many. Yes more run off, but no jamming issues which is a deal breaker.

Comment

Question: I own a Trijicon. By the looks of it, the video out/image of the MK1 beats my Reap. Or am I wrong?

The detail of the MK1 looks incredible

From personal experience, I switched from an AR-10 to a 7.62 5-6 months ago and I love it. NOW, you can't beat the knock down of a .308 on running pigs.

BUT I have been very impressed with the 7.62. I just can't get myself to pay a $1 per trigger pull on a 308.

I am shooting 7.62 HP's and have killed many. Yes more run off, but no jamming issues which is a deal breaker.

What’s your new setup? I’ve seen some good deals but you had to use certain magazines for the 7.62x39 or the rifle wouldn’t work. I want one that’ll take whatever mag I can get my hands on.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                What’s your new setup? I’ve seen some good deals but you had to use certain magazines for the 7.62x39 or the rifle wouldn’t work. I want one that’ll take whatever mag I can get my hands on.

I dont recall. I pieced together a SS upper with a PSA lower. Think I paid like $540 total out the door.

I hate those big banana AK mags, so I went with a more traditional looking "Normal" mag

Comment

Is this Tyler from UNV who owns IRAY?

I heard he has exclusive rights to them and is not the owner. But imports them from China.

But its like their UNV brand kinda deal as they are behind it.

My thoughts are this: UNV's customer service is AWFUL. I sure love their videos/publicity, but they are lacking on CS.

So for example, if you mail in a scope for a warranty claim does Tyler at UNV have headquarters to repair them in Texas or does it have to be mailed back to China? Thinking of that 5 day warranty claim
                  Last edited by gingib; 02-10-2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I dont recall. I pieced together a SS upper with a PSA lower. Think I paid like $540 total out the door.

I hate those big banana AK mags, so I went with a more traditional looking "Normal" mag

Me too I’m fine with a 10-20 round mag but certain lowers won’t take certain magazines which I think is ridiculous

Comment

the reap is getting old , new image processors and technology will have better performance ... footage on my reap pretty much suck out the video cable .. but it's still a really simple to use scope that never disappoints... i won't be upgrading any time soon. and by then the new stuff will be even better and cheaper... heck i still drive and love my 09 f150 lariat ... but i'm sure a 21 platinum would be nice...

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                        the reap is getting old , new image processors and technology will have better performance ... footage on my reap pretty much suck out the video cable .. but it's still a really simple to use scope that never disappoints... i won't be upgrading any time soon. and by then the new stuff will be even better and cheaper... heck i still drive and love my 09 f150 lariat ... but i'm sure a 21 platinum would be nice...
                        speaking of... watched some of the latest ultimate NV videos and can't help but say DAMM! when i see the nikon z6 footage ... hate to say it , but thermal could
                        phase off and become a thing of the past if NV get so good that night time looks like daytime color like that ... you'd only use like a thermal monocular to spot , then go color NV after that ... i mean talk about seeing a cow vs a pig .. that nikon is absolutely phenomenal ... and when you look at the price point , it doesn't seem like it would be too far off to get nikon to come out with a digital NV with those kind of performance...

Comment

i mean watch this video and tell me you wouldn't want a digital NV that looks this good at 10:00pm at night [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZj9EJg40c&ab_channel=UltimateNightVision "]A Hunt Like This May Never Happen Again | Hogzilla Found In Texas - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                            Not so fast on that! The Reap is 4-5 years old and still ATOP the industry, everyone is trying to catch up.

I have not seen a scope yet, that competes with it as an overall scope.

Yes one scope may have it beat on video out/recording. But altogether it is very hard to beat

WIth that being said, yes it is a matter of time here shortly before I think Trijicon upgrades OR someone else knows them off the pedestal with newer technology

Comment

Not so fast on that! The Reap is 4-5 years old and still ATOP the industry, everyone is trying to catch up.

I have not seen a scope yet, that competes with it as an overall scope.

Yes one scope may have it beat on video out/recording. But altogether it is very hard to beat

WIth that being said, yes it is a matter of time here shortly before I think Trijicon upgrades OR someone else knows them off the pedestal with newer technology
                              i agree .. i love mine and won't upgrade any time soon ..

Comment

reap

and BTW , this is my reap with my red neck engineered forever battery pack ... i say forever because i've never ever ran out of juice with it ... it lasts for days ..
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X