Mansfield Jetty Fishing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got invited on a trip to fish Mansfield Jetty, we will be getting there by boat so we don't have to do the drive down the beach. Any advice on what tactics work well there? Soft plastics or live bait, I'm open to anything. Would also like to hear about others experiences there, this will be my first trip to the area. I'm an avid freshwater fisherman, but have only a limited amount of experience in the salt, thanks in advance!

It’s been a few years since I have been down there but if conditions are good you can catch kings just outside the jetties this time of year. If just fishing the jetties any live bait is good for trout, reds, Spanish mackerel, jacks etc. I have done well with plastics for trout many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
      It’s been a few years since I have been down there but if conditions are good you can catch kings just outside the jetties this time of year. If just fishing the jetties any live bait is good for trout, reds, Spanish mackerel, jacks etc. I have done well with plastics for trout many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I will probably bring a little bit of everything, and a cast net haha, thanks for the info! It would be crazy if we hooked into a king, I have never caught one before.

Comment

It's not really crazy. Lots of them close in off the jetties. Float a live bait out if wind is right.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          It's not really crazy. Lots of them close in off the jetties. Float a live bait out if wind is right.
          Know as balloon fishing.

Take a pocket full in case wind is right

Comment

I will be driving down there tomorrow morning. Match the hatch and big blue/chrome rattle traps. Depends on what you are planning on catching. Snook, tarpon, kings, reds, trout and mangroves among the various other fish will be there. If fishing off the rocks, it is best to stay as mobile and versatile as possible. Matching the bait I see off the rocks has produced the best results rather than picking a color.

Comment

Originally posted by BangBang View Post
              I will be driving down there tomorrow morning. Match the hatch and big blue/chrome rattle traps. Depends on what you are planning on catching. Snook, tarpon, kings, reds, trout and mangroves among the various other fish will be there. If fishing off the rocks, it is best to stay as mobile and versatile as possible. Matching the bait I see off the rocks has produced the best results rather than picking a color.
              Awesome, let me know how it goes for you down there and what species you catch.

Comment

Just a daytrip? Staying in the boat or jumping out to walk the jetty?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  Just a daytrip? Staying in the boat or jumping out to walk the jetty?
                  Don't have the full details yet, but I believe we are leaving on Friday and coming home Sunday. I think the plan is to take the boat to the jetty, then get out and fish/camp on the jetty.

Comment

So for a weekend trip based primarily on the jetty I'd definitely bring some large Kastmaster style spoons, crab flavor fish bites, and your favorite paddle tails. Spoons should get you smacks and jacks so may want some sort of bite proof steel leader just in case, though I'd start without. Paddle tails or DOA shrimp for the trout up close to the rocks, you should be able to find a hole up shallow on the surf side, look for the cylindrical jetty rocks and fish that pool. Fish bites on the bottom will get you whiting and reds and drum, you may want some small spider weights but a pyramid sinker can do great if the current is slow by keeping the bait slowly drifting on the bottom. Whiting heads make primo shark bait if you've got a castable shark rod otherwise you can fillet and fry them up and/or use for cut bait if you want to get messy. We've caught monster bull reds on fish bites so I don't bother with cut bait anymore. Don't forget the baby powder and skeeter spray, also be sure your gear is raccoon-proof and don't forget to get us some pics!
                    Last edited by justletmein; 07-12-2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                      So for a weekend trip based primarily on the jetty I'd definitely bring some large Kastmaster style spoons, crab flavor fish bites, and your favorite paddle tails. Spoons should get you smacks and jacks so may want some sort of bite proof steel leader just in case, though I'd start without. Paddle tails or DOA shrimp for the trout up close to the rocks, you should be able to find a hole up shallow on the surf side, look for the cylindrical jetty rocks and fish that pool. Fish bites on the bottom will get you whiting and reds and drum, you may want some small spider weights but a pyramid sinker can do great if the current is slow by keeping the bait slowly drifting on the bottom. Whiting heads make primo shark bait if you've got a castable shark rod otherwise you can fillet and fry them up and/or use for cut bait if you want to get messy. We've caught monster bull reds on fish bites so I don't bother with cut bait anymore. Don't forget the baby powder and skeeter spray, also be sure your gear is raccoon-proof and don't forget to get us some pics!
                      Sounds like you are a veteran for these kind of trips . This is just the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks! I will make sure to upload pics of what we catch, heard there are chances of getting into a tarpon this time of year which would be a neat experience.

Comment

I caught many a fish on the Joe Pool docks when it first opened!......Oh, wrong Mansfield True story though

Comment

Originally posted by CityLimtRedneck View Post
                          Sounds like you are a veteran for these kind of trips . This is just the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks! I will make sure to upload pics of what we catch, heard there are chances of getting into a tarpon this time of year which would be a neat experience.
                          Oh yeah, that was my game for a long time. I used to throw a quart of shrimp in a bucket of sawdust for the wife and drive down and just run the net for her. If the trout are there then they're there, if not then move on to other things. Fish the tides, when it's outgoing we always do best but if you can get a chart and see when the tide really starts moving that's your best shot. Aside from that always fish moonrise down there, can't tell you how much action we've had just before moonrise from hammerheads to gamefish. The cool part about having the boat down there is if it's calm enough and you see tarpon rolling you can chase them or go troll for kings or whatnot. Watch for rattlesnakes under your bbq grill.

Comment

Getting the yoda loaded up now. Primary target is poon/snook. Should be hitting it at high tide when I hit the sand in the AM. Will fish our way down, I have heard some promising reports of trout off the beach. It's the time to be down that way for sure. We will get into something.

Comment

Originally posted by BangBang View Post
                              Getting the yoda loaded up now. Primary target is poon/snook. Should be hitting it at high tide when I hit the sand in the AM. Will fish our way down, I have heard some promising reports of trout off the beach. It's the time to be down that way for sure. We will get into something.
                              Good luck man, hope you slay em!

Comment

Working...
                              X