Best meals ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best meals ever.

The chicken sandwich thread got me to thinkin about foods I haven't had for a long time. My grandmas fried chicken and homemade gravy over some fried potatoes is one of those meals. I don't know what she did that made it taste so amazing but I haven't found any that can even compare. Especially in a restaurant. Colonel Sanders ain't got nothin on my grandma when it comes to fryin chicken I can assure you. In my mind nobody does.

Ham and beans is another. It'd take clear up until supper time to prepare it alongside corn bread so she'd start early then make something completely different for dinner so that by supper time it'd be ready to eat. I wish I'd have paid more attention to how she did things so that I could do it. I did somewhat but even if I did it I know it wouldn't be the same. She never used measuring cups or teaspoons when cooking. Just watching you'd think she was just making the recipe up as she went. Maybe she was so I know it can never be duplicated. Might be close but she's gone now so I know I'll never have anything like it again.

Funny how I hear people talk about the foods they think are disgusting. Growing up I didn't know not liking food was much of an option. When I was little I remember telling grandma I was hungry. She opened up a can of spinach and dumped it in a bowl,put vinegar and salt on it and that was my snack until it was time to eat. I ate it and still love it till this day. Sometimes she'd batter and fry squash or okra for a snack to tide me over. I always had to try it I couldn't just say I didn't like it. If I did she'd say "You ain't very **** hungry then are ya?"

I miss that woman. She was the best.

My mother can cook like that. She cooked certain things so many times she doesn’t even measure or follow a recipe. Her smothered Quail with biscuits was over the top. Never had it like she made it anywhere else. Great memories!

Comment

My wife's Chicken and Dumplins. She rolls her dumplins out using my great-grandmother's rolling pin and makes it all using the same recipe that my family has been using for generations. I grew up eating my grandma's Chicken and Dumplins and they were good, but my wife's are better.

Comment

My dads pork ribs are ridiculous. I’m sure they could be duplicated, but they always seem better when he makes them

Comment

Seems like she sure used bacon grease a lot when cooking certain things. A lot of the things I grew up eatin probably wasn't very healthy. Heck it was fried 98% of the time. But somehow I still think it was probably better for me than what I eat now days. I don't get to eat homemade meals but every now and then. I can down some food so I make it count when I do.

Comment

Yep it was grandmothers chicken fried steak cream potatoes with white gravy black eyed peas and the only place I’ve ever had fried cornbread - crunchy and delicious

Comment

My mom’s gumbo. I have stopped even trying a gumbo at any restaurant years ago. I can make a good gumbo, but her’s always seems to have a little something more.

Comment

My wife’s shrimp Étouffée..... one day she decided to make it for my birthday and immediately was one of my favorites. I’ve eaten Cajun food all over the south and hers is by far the best I’ve had

Comment

Pancho's is hard to beat.

Comment

I have 3-
                    My mom's meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and hot water cornbread.
                    My grandma's turnip greens with sliced tomatoes from granddaddy's garden, and a pone of buttermilk cornbread from her iron skillet. Her homemade buttermilk biscuits and muscadine or mayhaw jelly was the best for breakfast...
                    My granddaddy's fried fish (any kind- buffalo ribs was a Sunday staple along with catfish and/or sac-a-lait). He'd fire up his iron pot with propane outside and added sliced onions to the grease as he cooked. He'd say, "Onions help keep the grease from burning." Plus, they were good to snack on while waiting on the fish...

Comment

My wife makes the greatest fried eggplant, thinly sliced and fried in the cast iron with angel hair pasta…. It’s legit

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        My wife's Chicken and Dumplins. She rolls her dumplins out using my great-grandmother's rolling pin and makes it all using the same recipe that my family has been using for generations. I grew up eating my grandma's Chicken and Dumplins and they were good, but my wife's are better.
                        Deja Vu right here. We were just talking about mine making my grandmother's.recipe for chicken and dumplings for tomorrows lunch. Just took the chicken out and the rolling pin is on deck. Herr's are very good but I can't say better LOL

Comment

Mom or grandma's fried chicken. Mashed potatoes and gravy made from the grease. Corn fresh from the cobb fried in a skillet. Hot rolls.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Big Moma's chicken and dumplins.
                            I think, I can smell'em, even now.

Comment

As a kid we would take road trips to abuelitas house in SW Mexico....never forget when we arrived she would have a table full of authentic goodies, chicken mole, carne guisada, Chile molcajete, handmade tortillas, guac, ect. Everything was fresh as she would make frequent trips to the mercado for fresh groceries and produce. I’ll never forget the wonderful smells from the kitchen and amazing meals had at grandmas house.

Comment

Working...
                              X