No announcement yet.

Gutting or Skinning Rack Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This worked well for me. Electric winch would be much better.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      I think I'm going to do the same.

So far I have:

Brake winches
      Lights
      Shelves to lay knives/saws.
      Drink holders
      Custom gambrel that can be attached to the side of the rack to stop animal spinning.
      Gravel to stand on and keep mud to a minimum.
      This is far more important than most people realize. It's a big add for me.

Make sure you get the right winch. We have a high-geared one and it takes a few hundred thousand turns to raise a hill country doe off the ground. We are able to attach a cordless drill to it but we don't always have that tool handy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeerGeek View Post
        I remove the two winches after the season and store in the barn… Seem to last longer.
        Looks like you can drive sxs under it a hoist right out of the bed... like

Comment

Not finished yet, but getting close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is a simple one I built for under a shed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I think I'm going to do the same.

So far I have:

Brake winches
              Lights
              Shelves to lay knives/saws.
              Drink holders
              Custom gambrel that can be attached to the side of the rack to stop animal spinning.
              Gravel to stand on and keep mud to a minimum.

To stop spinning here is an idea from a lease I was once on:

Run two cables out of winch. One will be longer than the other. Each has a basic hook on the end. They will each drop down at an appropriate distance off the beam or whatever the pulley is attached to. As it is winched up the legs get spread tighter and it won’t spin. I hope this makes sense I could draw it a lot better lol.

Comment

Runnin,

so each of the "hooks" will run down either side of the animal along the vertical brace? or did I miss it?

Comment

[ATTACH]1037904[/ATTACH]

Comment

I have a short video that includes our cleaning area. PM me if you want to see it.

Ideas - heavy duty style:

1. make the hanging area plenty tall enough. (so you can raise your deer high enough, that the night creatures can't reach them)

2. pour concrete slab if you have the means, and slope it away from the work space to a central drain in the back of the slab.

3. central drainage - use 3 or 4" pvc at the back of the slab, making a field line to keep the water away from the area.

4. run electrical and water to both sides of the slab.

5. cover it.

6. since you are pouring concrete. Make a sidewalk to the cooler.

Comment

I hunted on a place years ago down south where there were anchors in the slab and they would get skinning started and attach clamps to the hide (connected to cables in the anchors). Electric winch would then lift the animal higher and it would dang near case skin the animal. Pretty slick.

Comment

This was prior to adding an LED shop light and magnetic strip on the leg to hold knives. So far it has been just about perfect for what we need.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post

This was prior to adding an LED shop light and magnetic strip on the leg to hold knives. So far it has been just about perfect for what we need.

I was reading through wondering if anyone had used magnets for their blades. Seems like it’d be handy

Comment

A grown son to do most of the work while you supervise would come in handy.......

You do have to hold a bloody knife in your hand just to make it look good !

Comment

Our is 16x16x12. Just 3 of us shooting to only one winch but lights from all sides. Ome shelf near the winch

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post

Magnetic strip is a great idea! They have some cheap ones at harbor frieght im going to try this with! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X