Gutting or Skinning Rack Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During the offseason, I'm going to put together a new skinning rack for our camp. I can weld together the usual swingset.

Looking for any ideas or cool features that others have added.

Thanks!

I think I'm going to do the same.

So far I have:

Brake winches
    Lights
    Shelves to lay knives/saws.
    Drink holders
    Custom gambrel that can be attached to the side of the rack to stop animal spinning.
    Gravel to stand on and keep mud to a minimum.

Comment

We finished ours out and it has everything Dale mentioned. Framed under it and laid bricks and pavers then poured sacks of ready mix and watered it down. It is not perfect but we are out of the water and mud. Off the side we have a cheap old stainless table to stack ice chest or work on quarters, if needed. If you light it put some tin over the lights to keep them out of the weather and to keep rain off you as well.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter-1 View Post
        We finished ours out and it has everything Dale mentioned. Framed under it and laid bricks and pavers then poured sacks of ready mix and watered it down. It is not perfect but we are out of the water and mud. Off the side we have a cheap old stainless table to stack ice chest or work on quarters, if needed. If you light it put some tin over the lights to keep them out of the weather and to keep rain off you as well.
        I actually OWN a brick company....and didn't think of putting brick down.

Adding to the list.

Comment

If you light it put some tin over the lights to keep them out of the weather and to keep rain off you as well.[/QUOTE]

I would take that a little further and put tin on both ends, across the back and over the top, and maybe run outlets to it.

Comment

Great ideas. Shelves and drink holders, yes!

Comment

Ours is off grid. We have a water tote and RV pump for water. LED pod lights mounted under tin roof for work lighting. Everything is powered by a big deep cycle battery with solar panel and charge controller. We had a big wooden deck leftover from another project and put it under the skinning rack. It has worked great and keeps you up off the ground...

Comment

ours is a 10x10 frame out of square tubing. It has a crank on each pole so we could have 4 animals hung at a time. We added lights and put flat rocks on the ground to get out of the mud

Comment

Lights; good hand cranks with cable and solid pulleys; a good solid floor; room for a work table. Those are all the things we wanted for ours.

10' x10' with 3 hand cranks, 3/16" cable and 800 lb metal pulleys. The frame is 2x2x1/4" tubing and 3x3x1/4" angle (top) because it's what we had on the lease.
                  The concrete is 4'x4'x4" thick test pads (for concrete finishing type) from a jobsite I had.
                  We mounted a section of unistrut perpendicular to the frame to put lights on. This allowed more light from both sides at an angle rather than just straight down.
                  The stainless table was a bonus.

The only damage we've had so far was someone over-cranked a cable one day and ripped the welds on one of the pulleys.

We just celebrated our 10th year using this rack!

Comment

Get yourself a cheap Harbor Freight winch. Let the winch do all the lifting.

Comment

^^^^^ This is what I did ^^^^^^^

Comment

We have since added a stainless cleaning table in between the legs on the left and benches on the right .... plus other sitting benches on the fence.... we also added hooks to the legs above the winches to attach the gambrel too. Simple but effective . The flooring is scrap aluminum scaffolding. We were going to do concrete until a member stumbled across that.

Last edited by Smart; 01-21-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I remove the two winches after the season and store in the barn… Seem to last longer.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ours is a work in progress. Had to get out of the mud. 10x10. Decking and a large patio table rescued from a scrap yard to stand on. Roof on it now and will be enclosed on 3 sides. Lights run off a generator. Harbor freight winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great ideas! I'm going to incorporate some of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X