Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
    thats pretty handy.
    Yessir. There's other methods but I think this is the most humane. It does leave some bruising on the neck...but not much according to some reviews I've read.

I may do a video on the butchering this weekend...if I can get my wife to be the camera woman!

Comment

Thats slick [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I heard on one YouTube video, so I know for a fact it’s true, that a buck and two does could produce 600lbs of lean white meat a year...if the numbers are even close to that, that’s insane

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
          I heard on one YouTube video, so I know for a fact it’s true, that a buck and two does could produce 600lbs of lean white meat a year...if the numbers are even close to that, that’s insane

Wow! [emoji15][emoji15]

Comment

Man nice job Chew. It is slow here at work so I watched all of the videos. Now I want to do it. Unfortunately my 12yr old daughter and my wife would not let me butcher them because they would get attached to them. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
              Man nice job Chew. It is slow here at work so I watched all of the videos. Now I want to do it. Unfortunately my 12yr old daughter and my wife would not let me butcher them because they would get attached to them. LOL
              My wife is on board....my vegan daughter....not so much.

Comment

Someone can probably do the math better than me. But I'll try.

They have a 31 day gestation period and can be bred again immediately. So basically one litter a month. The variable would come in the number of kits born in the litter. But say 8 rabbits per litter (these TAMUK rabbits have been known to have 5 up to 15 according to the breeder I bought from).

So that's 12 litters per year x 8 kits = 96 rabbits. I'm going to be butchering at around 5 lbs. live weight which is a about 3 lbs dressed weight.

So 96 rabbits butchered x 3 lbs each = 288 lbs for one doe.

For two doe: 576 lbs.

So that 600 lb. figure is very obtainable if your average kits per litter is higher than 8.

People with large rabbitries will cull out the does that don't have at least 9-10 kits per litter.

Comment

That’s around 1.5 lbs a day
                  You might wanna brush up on your rabbit recipes lol

Comment

Butchered my 3 meat rabbits this morning. Went pretty smooth. Already got a half one in my belly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rabbits1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	24612891

Name:	rabbits2.jpg
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	24612892

Name:	rabbits3.jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	24612893

Comment

Rabbit Cage Build

Looks delicious, how was it?

Comment

Looks delicious, how was it?

Very good. I didn't have milk or biscuits so I missed out on the white gravy and biscuits which is my favorite combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          Someone can probably do the math better than me. But I'll try.

They have a 31 day gestation period and can be bred again immediately. So basically one litter a month. The variable would come in the number of kits born in the litter. But say 8 rabbits per litter (these TAMUK rabbits have been known to have 5 up to 15 according to the breeder I bought from).

So that's 12 litters per year x 8 kits = 96 rabbits. I'm going to be butchering at around 5 lbs. live weight which is a about 3 lbs dressed weight.

So 96 rabbits butchered x 3 lbs each = 288 lbs for one doe.

For two doe: 576 lbs.

So that 600 lb. figure is very obtainable if your average kits per litter is higher than 8.

People with large rabbitries will cull out the does that don't have at least 9-10 kits per litter.

Actually, if you don't butcher them, it would be more like (8 x 8) to the 11th exponential.

Or:

1*(((((((((((8x8)*8)*8)*8)*8)*8)*8)*8)*8)*8)*8, since my key-board doesn't have an exponential key.
                          (Based on 12 months)

We won't have to worry about COVID-19. We'll have to worry about RABBID-2021.
                          Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-28-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            Butchered my 3 meat rabbits this morning. Went pretty smooth. Already got a half one in my belly.

[ATTACH]997427[/ATTACH]
                            That looks delicious!!

Comment

You gonna have to keep up with who's breeding who. Or your gonna wind up with some strange look-n rabbits. Kinda like Arkansas live-n.

I'd suggest looking at building a bigger cage at least.

Comment

Some Houston ladies saw my nesting boxes and wanted 10. Built them yesterday and today. Got a little extra spending money.

Comment

Working...
                                X