Ranch Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming along nicely. Fantastic build.

Oh... I could still fall off that porch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
      Coming along nicely. Fantastic build.

Oh... I could still fall off that porch!
      Are you saying you could or you want to? ?? lol

thanks for the kind words everyone. Hope to get out there again the weekend after next.

Comment

Friday 4-19 I headed out to the cabin by myself to see what I could get done. In San Antonio its Fiesta season so all of my friends and family members had events to go to. I decided to forgo the Fiesta events this past weekend and decided to try to get some work done. With Easter being on Sunday I had to be back home Saturday evening so I left early Friday morning. I arrived at the ranch at about 10:30AM.

I decided to try to get as much exterior plywood hung. When we did the roof one of my sons friends had already installed 3 full sheets on the back side of the cabin. Without my supervision he didn't do it the way I wanted it done. So I first had to remove 2 full sheets and reattach them using screws. The wind was gusting pretty bad so I though that I would not be able to handle getting this done alone. To my surprise, by 1PM that day I had installed 9 sheets. (basically the first 8' of the back and 1 side) (pic 1) I was able to use C clamps to help me hold it, and since I was working from the ground it really wasn't THAT hard. After a quick lunch I began on the west side of the cabin. I got the first 4 full sheets installed in no time, then worked on the next level up to the roof line. Working from a ladder and the scaffolding proved to be much more difficult and the wind gusts really picked up. Then I installed a few of the 28" tall sections left on the back side of the cabin. I was beat and called it a day and enjoyed a cold one on the front porch! (Pics 2 - 5)

On Saturday I finished the back side and cut out the 4 window openings on the walls. (pics 6-8) I started to work on the upper level of the East side of the wall but the wind was crazy and I still had to somehow tyveck all 3 sides. I decided I would not have the time to get that side done all the way up.

When I bought the Tyveck I choose to go with a 9' roll for the bottom and because all four sides of the cabin are taller I got a 3' roll for the difference. Well that WAS a great Idea if you have no wind and have more that one person. It was a complete cluster F***! If someone was there to video me they would make a fortune on the those funny video shows! Trying to install it one side at a time was impossible. What I had to do was staple the top corner on the side at the 9' mark. I had to put like 20 staples there to get it to hold. Then I rolled it out all the way around the back side to the front of the other side (almost 60ft). This made for an awesome Sail. Long story short I got it done but it is a bit wrinkly. After getting the Tyveck installed I thought I had the strength to get the 4 windows installed. I managed to get one of them installed but as I was taping the edges I began to cramp up almost falling off the ladder in the process. I was so dehydrated and sun/wind burnt that I had to drink 5 waters while sitting on the deck for an hour before I could get up. I decided I had done enough and cleaned up the scraps and such. (pics 9-10)

I am confident that I can have the cabin dried in with one more weekend of work (with help of course).

Last Pic is view of the cabin from the parking area.
        Attached Files

Comment

It’s really coming along nicely!!

Comment

Heck yeah man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And down the stretch they come..............

Looking good.

Rwc

Comment

gotta love drying it it....once thats done you can move in and start enjoying.

Comment

One heck of a build. Great job.

Comment

What a build!!!! You guys are working your tails off. Good stuff.

Comment

If I missed it I apologize but what is going over the Tyveck?

Sure am enjoying the build!

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                        If I missed it I apologize but what is going over the Tyveck?

Sure am enjoying the build!

The plan right now is to use the same roof R-Panel on the bottom and cedar tongue and groove all the way up from there. The R-Panel will 42" tall with a Cedar 2X4 as the border it will be stained the same color as the deck. The Fascia boards on the roof will also be the same stain color.

The Cedar will be a Dark Grey ran horizontal.

it will look similar to the picture below (as far as the metal and wood look)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looking Great! Congrats!

Comment

great look to go for.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

I havent checked on this thread since it started. All I can say is WOW! You guys are killin it! Thats gonna be something to be proud of.

I also think you need to frame the pics of those boys putting the roof on to put inside the cabin when yall get done!

Gonna be a nice place to be for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X