HVAC drain problems....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC drain problems....

The drain pan under my HVAC unit is about 75% full and is draining out the drain tube just fine. The problem is it should be draining out the other drain tube from the unit straight outside. It's not draining. I've put hot soapy water down it, vinegar, the repair guy even blew it out with compressed air. Is there something else I can do like run a long snake down the line to clean it out? The line has a P trap in it close to the unit so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

It's a long drain line too. It's probably at least 30 feet.

I would run beach and if that did not get it do light compressed air from both directions....

Comment

youre main drain is plugged, secondary goes outside as a tell tale that you have issues...

I put bleach down mine 2x a year....

as a long term solution they make chlorine tabs you can drop in there also...

strong bleach or drano

Comment

It should not be draining outside, that is for emergency. Sounds like both your lines may be clogged. I just had this problem last weekend. I ended up having to cut the main drain line and snake it both directions. After I was done I poured some bleach down it. That was Monday, as of today I don't have any water in my emergency pan.

Comment

Find out where it drains into your drain lines. Usually it connects to tail piece in a sink somewhere. You will need to take that apart and clean it out... usually the sediment will harden and create a serious plug.

Comment

When was your house built? Not sure about your building code, but the others are correct. It should not be draining outside, that is for emergency. In my house, the drain goes into the guest bathroom shower.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
              Find out where it drains into your drain lines. Usually it connects to tail piece in a sink somewhere. You will need to take that apart and clean it out... usually the sediment will harden and create a serious plug.
              This. I had a similar issue but was able to run a snake from my sink instead of disconnecting everything.

Comment

Cut the main line, blow it free with as much pressure as you need both directions (put a towel over the sink drains in case it goes to the sink, this will prevent any messes). When you cut the main line, have something under it to catch the water still in the unit.
                Use a coupling to reconnect the main line.
                You should not have water in the auxiliary pan. If it continues, get a pro to find out why water is going to the aux. pan. I see lots that drain there due to other issues.

if the drain goes to a sink, cover the drain in the sink to prevent nasty stuff from blowing all over the bathroom as I stated above. I have had to clean too many bathrooms because I neglected this.
                Last edited by double bogey; 05-31-2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I run gel bleach and also some granulated bleach a couple of times a year = 4x per
                  Sometimes some drano , but mainly just vacuum with wet vac

House was built in the 1940’s so everything drains directly out side ( I get a snail or slugs stuck in the in the line every year
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-31-2019, 08:38 AM.

Comment

I cleared mine by finding the place underneath a sink where the drain line tied in and hooking up a shop vac with duct tape and vacuuming the clog out. I had to run back up to the unit and plug a vent in the line to make it work but I haven't had a problem since.

Comment

If you have already blown it out and its still backed up, I bet the clog is between the clean out and the primary pan, or the primary pan itself might be full of sludge.

Comment

I used my shop vac on mine and sucked it out. Blowing air into the line might cause water to back up and spill over possibly doing water damage somewhere. My unit is in the attic so vacuum was the only way.

Comment

It may have been mentioned but can you get and air compressor hose to it and blow it out? Form a seal with you hand and put the air to it. I bet it’s blocked where it drains into your sink or wherever it goes. Until then make sure your emergency drain is clear or you’ll have a mess. Good luck!

Comment

Look under the sink of the bathroom closest to the air handler. If you see a rubber hose coming from the wall and “t” into the sink drain, I am 90% positive that is where the clog is. Undo the 2 hose clamps and clean that sucker out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The emergency drain pan is doing what it's supposed to do. The HVAC guy looked the other day for where the main drain line empties, but was unable to find it. I'll go up in the attic and look again as it was headed towards the kitchen.

He tried compressed air, and I tried hot soapy water, bleach and one day used vinegar thinking that the hard water may have built up lime in the line.

I'd really like to snake the line with something like a 12 gauge brass brush but that might be a little over the top!

This house was built in the 90's and the handler is close to the middle of the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X