No announcement yet.

Deer meat. Soak and drain or Keep it dry and cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99% of hunters do the ice cooler method. Been working great for the last 40 years with me.

Democrats think Republicans are wrong too!

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
      Curt, I need more info on the ducks please.
      Pretty simple. I usually breast mine out, but sometimes I leave them whole for a Perlot I make. https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ghlight=Perlot You're welcome.

Anyhow. I just take the whole ducks or the breast and lay them on paper plates with a napkin liner in the garage fridge. I let them sit in the fridge for 5-7 days uncovered. Pretty simple.

Comment

99%. Wow. Didn't know it was that high. That explains why so many nonhunters think deer meat is nasty to eat. They must have had some soaked meat.

Comment

Would some kind of heavy duty bag for each 1/4 to keep out of water work keeping it dry like a trash bag or something? May try that this year. A rack to keep out of water and bag 1/4s with ice on top and drain out.

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
            99%. Wow. Didn't know it was that high. That explains why so many nonhunters think deer meat is nasty to eat. They must have had some soaked meat.
            68.4% of all stats are made up anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
              Or the cook didnt know what he was doing I've never had a complaint and feed plenty of first timer venison / feral hog eaters. ymmv

Comment

I guess my question is how does everyone seem to have such easy access to a walk-in cooler??? Or are the walk-in folks mostly using a processor?

I’ve done the ice in the cooler with the drain open thing just because I don’t have an option at the house and I’m not giving my deer to a processor.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                  That guy just released his second book ... Pheasant quail cottontail. He was on hunting dog podcast

Interesting guy
                  That’s Hank Shaw, he has quite a few books. His website also has some great info and recipes

Hank Shaw's website featuring more than 1200 wild game recipes, fish and seafood recipes, foraging tips, fermentation, preserving, and pasta.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    68.4% of all stats are made up anyhow.
                    Thought it was over 70%

Comment

Doooooooo Noooooooot soak in water, unless your on your way to being a vegan. When you butcher beef or buy it from the store, how many times is it, or do you soak in water. My guess would be none, and if it's not, there's no help for ya. Red meat ( wild pork also) should not be soaked, unless your trying to make tofu( really that's all your doing, washing all the nutrients out of it, and making a bland tasting mess, I would not even feed a dog. And yes I have eaten it, and know what iam talking about. Then again if your trying to make tofu ,don't use meat to begin with. If it's the wild game taste your afraid of, the meat wasn't taken care of properly and your trying to hide it. And bacteria does breed in water, weather it's cold or not. Seriously don't soak such good meat in water. A lot may disagree with this but we have tried differant tests over years and found aging wild game really does nothing. There is not enough fatty connective tissue to brake down. 24 hours and it's broken down ( aged) as far it's it going to. Get the hide off, guts out , better yet use gutless method while still in the field. And get the meat cooled down ASAP, AND KEEP IT DRY. Aging for longer periods of time just make for more waste of the dried out portion you have to trim off. Carry a cooler in your truck with frozen milk jugs, when you kill one get it broken down, keep it clean, keep it dry. We place in game bags, and get the cut up, ( 1/4 's or even smaller boned out meat cool quicker) meat in the "dry" but cold cooler. And when you get back to camp, place in a freezer, or if you feel aging helps, hang in a walk in.( we have sold ours,replaced with a chest freezer) Meat issssssss soooooooo much better, still red, still bleeds, like real meat should. Not a bleached out slimly piece of who knows what. Don't mean to come across as a " Richard" head. But it disgusting.
                      Last edited by critter69; 10-10-2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                        Would some kind of heavy duty bag for each 1/4 to keep out of water work keeping it dry like a trash bag or something? May try that this year. A rack to keep out of water and bag 1/4s with ice on top and drain out.
                        Just use frozen milk jugs,( with the lids on) keeps meat cold, dry, and you just replace them as they thaw with fresh frozen ones. Meat is still what meat is supposed to be this way.

Comment

I don’t have the cash flow for a walk in cooler, so I use a cooler with drain unplugged in early season. I just make sure the meat isn’t getting soaked, as mentioned above.

Closer to November and during rifle season I can usually leave them hanging in the barn for a day or so. Issue I’ve had doing that is trying to hack pieces off of a meat sickle if it gets cold.

I usually get it put up in 2-3 days, either way.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                            Doooooooo Noooooooot soak in water, unless your on your way to being a vegan. When you butcher beef or buy it from the store, how many times is it, or do you soak in water. My guess would be none, and if it's not, there's no help for ya. Red meat ( wild pork also) should not be soaked, unless your trying to make tofu( really that's all your doing, washing all the nutrients out of it, and making a bland tasting mess, I would not even feed a dog. And yes I have eaten it, and know what iam talking about. Then again if your trying to make tofu ,don't use meat to begin with. If it's the wild game taste your afraid of, the meat wasn't taken care of properly and your trying to hide it. And bacteria does breed in water, weather it's cold or not. Seriously don't soak such good meat in water. A lot may disagree with this but we have tried differant tests over years and found aging wild game really does nothing. There is not enough fatty connective tissue to brake down. 24 hours and it's broken down ( aged) as far it's it going to. Get the hide off, guts out , better yet use gutless method while still in the field. And get the meat cooled down ASAP, AND KEEP IT DRY. Aging for longer periods of time just make for more waste of the dried out portion you have to trim off. Carry a cooler in your truck with frozen milk jugs, when you kill one get it broken down, keep it clean, keep it dry. We place in game bags, and get the cut up, ( 1/4 's or even smaller boned out meat cool quicker) meat in the "dry" but cold cooler. And when you get back to camp, place in a freezer, or if you feel aging helps, hang in a walk in.( we have sold ours,replaced with a chest freezer) Meat issssssss soooooooo much better, still red, still bleeds, like real meat should. Not a bleached out slimly piece of who knows what. Don't mean to come across as a " Richard" head. But it disgusting.
                            Lmfao!

Comment

when people dislike deer meat it is because the blood has been left in it,,, when cattle are killed and processed they are usually shot in the head, throats cut and blood drained,, that does not happen with wild game,,, ice water draws the blood out, so keep it changed every couple days for 4-7 days,,, it also has parasites and crap beef do not,, so above 40 is really not all that safe..bacteria and all things nasty grow faster in warmer temps than they could ever do in near freezing water,,, why is aged beef tender? because it has started to rot!!!! simple fact, the bacteria is growing and breaking down the meat,,,,

but what do I know I am just an old guy raised by a hog and dairy farmer who killed and processed animals almost daily for half his life,,,

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                                when people dislike deer meat it is because the blood has been left in it,,, when cattle are killed and processed they are usually shot in the head, throats cut and blood drained,, that does not happen with wild game,,, ice water draws the blood out, so keep it changed every couple days for 4-7 days,,, it also has parasites and crap beef do not,, so above 40 is really not all that safe..bacteria and all things nasty grow faster in warmer temps than they could ever do in near freezing water,,, why is aged beef tender? because it has started to rot!!!! simple fact, the bacteria is growing and breaking down the meat,,,,

but what do I know I am just an old guy raised by a hog and dairy farmer who killed and processed animals almost daily for half his life,,,

I’m betting it’s pretty safe to say the majority of an animal shot through the lungs/heart with a bow/rifle are pretty much bled out by the time they are hanging and gutted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X