Deer meat. Soak and drain or Keep it dry and cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer meat. Soak and drain or Keep it dry and cool

I was wondering what everyone does. I hear some guys are 50/50 as to Ice and drain vs keep the meat dry in bags and ice them down.

Seems some say bacteria grows well in the water and such and soaking the meat is like soaking a steak in water before you cook it. We put on ice but leave drains open just wondering what yall think about putting in bags to keep from to much water. Any difference?

I tried searching but the search option isnt working for me but mostly just wondering.

Scott

If you can.....cool and dry is the best. Nothing better than hanging in a walk in cooler.

Comment

Very good question.. will be tuned in to hear everyone's input on this one. I have always mixed the meat in with the ice (rather than just laying on top) and drained ice daily (this could be anywhere from 1-3 times per day) at the lease until we got home and brought the meat to be processed. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
        If you can.....cool and dry is the best. Nothing better than hanging in a walk in cooler.
        X2, if I have to put one in a Ice chest with Ice, I will use spacers at the bottom to keep the meat from soaking in water and I will open the drain plug a little to let the water leak out.

Comment

Cool and dry. I'm a big fan of dry aging, the more moisture you can let escape, the more the flavors can mature.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
            This, check out how heavy aged beef is done. Not quiet the same, but dry and cool.

If I am not mistaken, heavy aged beef is hung at 42 degrees for 2 maybe 3 weeks. Lots of variance on post by people in the know.
            Last edited by Mudslinger; 10-10-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I prefer the walk-in cooler, but if it isn't available cooler it is with ice

Comment

I prefer hanging in Walk-in cooler as well.

Comment

I Leave it in the cooler 5 to 10 days on ice with the drain plug partly open, to drain blood and add fresh ice as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                    X2, if I have to put one in a Ice chest with Ice, I will use spacers at the bottom to keep the meat from soaking in water and I will open the drain plug a little to let the water leak out.
                    Ditto for me if I dont have access to a walk in.

Comment

No matter what anyone says, red meat should never be wet. A brine for fowl is OK, but beef and venison should always be dry aged. I've even had a lot of success in dry aging ducks. You'll get plenty of guys on here who disagree, but that's OK....the world needs wrong people too.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        No matter what anyone says, red meat should never be wet. A brine for fowl is OK, but beef and venison should always be dry aged. I've even had a lot of success in dry aging ducks. You'll get plenty of guys on here who disagree, but that's OK....the world needs wrong people too.

Curt, I need more info on the ducks please.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I soak mine. Wait wait for it. In cider

Comment

Following, very interested in dry aging venison and what contraptions people have made who don’t have access to a walk in cooler.

I have read it needs to be below 40 degrees F and needs good airflow around the whole meat part/quarter. I have also seen where people have added UVC units in their dedicated aging refrigerators.

Listened to a radio interview of an author who wrote a book ‘Buck, Buck, Moose’ or something like that. Just haven’t taken the time to research further, but the interview was intriguing.

Comment

Working...
                              X