No announcement yet.

neck shots with gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heart/Lung ALL day long. Just behind the shoulder and DRT. If you have ever seen a deer with a poorly placed shot that took off their jaw, at least for me it PO'D me big time! No reason to challenge your shooting if you're not convinced your equipment and abilities will suffice.

I know it's all about skill and proper sighting rifle wise, but I was also taught AND taught my 3 son's ETHICAL KILLS!!

Comment

If the deer is facing me, I'd take a head or neck shot. Never thought about taking a neck shot from the side, but I'd be open to it. Definitely not a HS from the broadside.

Comment

Back when I was much younger and would still pull out a rifle I hunted with a .243, 100 grain bullet most the time. Most my deer were in the Texas Hill Country. Most shot opportunities were within 100 yards and a neck shot in the white spot was the routine shot. I never had one go anywhere but straight down. But then again that .243 shot nickle sized groups all day long and I was confident in the shot placement. Only time I went behind the shoulder was if I was thinking of getting a buck mounted.

Comment

I have no problem with neck shots, especially in short yardage situations; i.e. within 100 yards, etc.

Bad shots happen. I'm sure many of deer have died slow painful deaths due to bad shots intended for shoulder/lung area.

Comment

I've shot many a deer and pig with neck shots, never had a problem. I do believe in making sure my rifles are sighted in and I practice regularly throughout the year (all of my rifles are between 0.5-1 MOA). I've shot a few mid neck, but most are high neck shots. Never had an animal take a step after being shot.
            Last edited by stxhunter; 10-09-2018, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Right where the neck joins the shoulders and they're drt.

Comment

I like the neck shot; facing me and bottom of the throat patch.

Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
                This topic really boils down to one thing

HOW PROFICIENT WITH YOUR GUN ARE YOU?

Some folks practice shooting year round & their weapons are properly sighted in.
                These are the folks who probably shoot animals in this method

Some folks shoot their weapon a week or two before season and as long as they are hitting a pie plate area they are good. These are the folks who should NEVER use this method.

To answer your question though:
                I prefer neck shots most of the time IF the conditions are right for it. If the conditions are NOT right, I will use the "high shoulder" method (drops them in their tracks like a neck shot but does waste some meat)

Remember this saying:
                "Shoot them high, watch them die;
                Shoot them low, watch them go.
                Agreed. There are a lot of people that hunt year round, there are a lot more that shoot the weekend before hunting and think they are Carlos Hathcock.

Comment

All you perfect hunters talking about seeing the does or other deer with their jaw shot off trying to eat, ever seen a deer that has its guts blown out trying to eat or drink??

Personally, I shoot with my rifle just like I do with my bow... I try to make a clean quick kill. Have I ever missed, yes, but they've been dang few and far between. I am proficient with my weapons. I hit what I'm shooting at. If I'm meat hunting with a rifle, I see no reason to shoot the animal in the meat. I know my gun and I know my bow and when I launch a projectile, I know where it is going. I've lost fewer deer taking a head or neck shot than I have a body shot.
                  You who don't want to do it, don't. But don't go bad-mouthing me because I can and do take out the central nervous system of my quarry.

When I taught my son to shoot, I taught him how to hold his gun still to the point when he was about 10 years old he and I were sitting in a gun stand together and he was practicing his aiming at some deer under the feeder... He was seemingly very frustrated... I asked him what's wrong... He responded, Dad, I cannot hold this gun still no matter what I do... every time my heart beats, my crosshair jumps an inch!! I told him, son, that's the best thing you could have told me! When you have to time your shots between heartbeats, you ARE holding your gun still! I do the same thing with scoped hand guns beyond 200 yards... well I used to back when I gun hunted for deer
                  If I chose to do it again, I have no doubt I could however.

Comment

When I shot deer with rifles, I shot 100% through the neck. Never had take so much as a step after shot. If I ever shoot another with rifle, it will be in the neck.

Comment

Depends on what it is. Does usually get ear holed or if facing away base of the scull and top of spine. Looking at me just below the lower jaw area in the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are a lot of folks who argue against neck shots. I understand and appreciate their line of thinking.
                        As for me, neck shot is all I take and only if they are broadside
                        Base of the neck right in the crease where the front of the shoulder and neck meet.

Out to 200 yards or so (preferably closer)
                        .257 wby mag and 110gr accubond

I call it " the stop button"
                        Never a step. Butt hits the ground 1st immediately followed by the rest of them

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I prefer head shots on does....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s the only place I shoot them. Right under the ear or right in the earhole

Comment

Guys, lots of good points... I shoot my guy like I do my bow. I don't pull the trigger unless i know what and where my shot will be. I reload and shoot often.

I usually only use a gun for hog hunting and have taken 9 so far this year. We strictly bow hunt for deer and the occasionally hog that strays too close. I am found enough of my guns and gun skills I find myself wanting to take a doe or so this year with a rifle.

So, with that said and the knowledge gained here this evening, I believe I will be neck shooting from here on out.

Comment

I think everything has been covered here in the thread. I hunt with people that shoot doe in the head, shoot all others in the neck and they have never lost a deer. I have also seen those same peoples kids shoot 'A head shot' that we only recovered teeth and pieces of hair/meat.

Bottom line, shooting a deer in the head, or the right spot in the neck, at 100 yards, from a stand is not the same as your 3/8 moa group prone, or from the bags.

I will not weigh in either way on the topic, it depends on what you are able to do in the field. Depending on the deer, the stand, the distance and what rifle I am hunting with all options are on the table.

Comment

Working...
                                X