No announcement yet.

OMG I'm already nervous!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck ! Take a target to the blind and take a few shots before the hunt. I've done this with my daughter many times to calm her nerves.

Comment

I don’t buy any of this purported nervousness. A teenage girl has obviously hacked this man’s account and started the title line with “OMG”. There is likely no angst and nothing but confidence—as should be the case.

Good luck with the hunt . . . and hack. :-)

Comment

Good luck!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That’s what it’s all about.

Comment

Good luck Junkers. I look forward to the LDPs.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
              I don’t buy any of this purported nervousness. A teenage girl has obviously hacked this man’s account and started the title line with “OMG”. There is likely no angst and nothing but confidence—as should be the case.

Good luck with the hunt . . . and hack. :-)
              This was my thought as well. You got this. Save the hyperventilating drama for the moments after the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                It's not buck fever as I don't hunt for antlers so it's got to be the stupid stomach churning anticipation of sending a shaft down range at something other than my target.
                Hey bud. Technically "buck fever" just refers to the anxiousness that you get before killing just about anything that trips your trigger. It don't have to be a buck and it don't have to be about antlers. Hearing your first gobble during spring turkey season when you have a bow next to you will get you fired up too!

Getting anxious about a hunt is somewhat normal... well, lets say it isn't necessarily abnormal since plenty of folks just don't get hyped up about it like some of us can. Or... they don't get hyped up until they are actually driving to the lease... or unloading at camp... or walking to the stand... or when the feeder goes off... or when something snaps in the woods... or when they actually see the animal... you get my point.

At the end of the day... it is all about the idea that "**** could get real" takes over.

Some advice... enjoy the anticipation... but don't let it hype you up so bad that when something doesn't happen, it doesn't get you down. Hard to do, but keep these words in mind. Sometimes you come away from a weekend way too disappointed because you hyped it up WAYYYYY to much.

If and when that animal comes in... I'm telling you now... it will likely be a dump of adrenaline like you haven't experienced in a long time. Work on settling that down before you think about shooting it. I've gotten into the habit of trying to slip into predator mode and not little kid at the zoo mode. Focus! Start looking at the animal itself and studying it. See how it is behaving. watch it's tail... is it tucked tight... or is it swaying? is it popping it's head up a lot... is it stretching it's neck or does it look relaxed. Don't forget to breathe.

Don't forget, when you get into your stand/blind/whatever... nock an arrow.. draw it a few times... draw a few times into your shooting lane. Decide ahead of time how far is too far... use that as a point of focus when the animal comes in. That way you can calm yourself down because even though you see them... they are technically not in range yet, etc.

By the way... I realize, this can be way easier said than done... but I mention it because I did get some good advice which was along the lines of

"Don't shoot nervous deer!"

Well... great... but how can you tell if they are nervous... when you, yourself are nervous.

The key is you have to focus and push all that nervousness into the background and focus your attention onto your prey. After the shot, then you can let the adrenaline dump happen.

Oh and one other thing... shoot a hog with your bow..... and don't shoot dove near any feeders/corn.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Come to think of it SwampRabbit, I think that I had a type of buck fever when I started dating girls back in high school. You saying "anything that trips your trigger" made the connection for me.

First time anything can bring on a case of nerves.

Comment

Scott's right. Doesn't matter to me. Once I've made up my mind to take an animal I overthink it. I worry about shot angle, leg position, window openings etc. Last season I passed many good opportunities because i couldn't get my stuff straight.
                      The cool thing is that was pretty much gone except on big deer shooting a compound.
                      The stick has given me a fresh tingle in the adrenaline department.
                      And in the end that's what keeps up interested.

Gary

Comment

getter done

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          SCOTT’S RIGHT. Doesn't matter to me. Once I've made up my mind to take an animal I overthink it. I worry about shot angle, leg position, window openings etc. Last season I passed many good opportunities because i couldn't get my stuff straight.
                          The cool thing is that was pretty much gone except on big deer shooting a compound.

Gary
                          Wait, what?? Lol

Comment

Lol

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

Gary
                              Wth.....

Comment

Moving away from Gary’s tingling , any luck Richard?

Comment

Working...
                                X