Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s the modern day equivalent of a classic deer rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older generations - I began hunting in the early 70s as a 9 year old- for the most part will believe highly in the classic Wood stock.
    I have never shot a gun that is synthetic stock. I would not even consider purchasing one.
    But that is me.

Comment

Sako

Comment

WOOD!!!! And I don't have enough of 'em. An 80's model Marlin 336. My first long gun, an H&R single 20 with an extra 30-30 barrel. Also have a Savage I will turn into a classic when I get a walnut Boyd's stock to replace the current plastic one.

Comment

In my opinion, based on what the op asked I would have to say it may end up being a rifle , bolt or semi auto, chambered in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

That cartridge really has taken off the last few years and no matter what the platform used to launch it I think it will end up being a classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wait. The Remington 700, 30.06 that I've been using for only 40 years is a classic??!! Don't seem like its that old......

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
              Nothing with that ugly plastic!
              Thank you!!!!!!!! I hate the plastic junk these days..

Comment

If it is made of all metal(no plastic anywhere)and pretty WOOD then it is a classic because those are a thing of the past it seems...

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                  In my opinion, based on what the op asked I would have to say it may end up being a rifle , bolt or semi auto, chambered in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

That cartridge really has taken off the last few years and no matter what the platform used to launch it I think it will end up being a classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  A classic with girly men!

I have 2 near and dear custom rifles. A 7 mag built on a defiance deviant hunter with a proof barrel. And a 300 win mag with a bartlien 5R on a Ruger action. The ruger action was part of the first gun I bought myself. It’s sentimental. My daughter will get both I hope someday. That’s a classic for me. “Dads gun”. Yeah there’s pretty wood stocked guns. And I have several. But none mean to me what those do.

Folks seem to be chasing cheap accurate guns over quality built pretty rifles like the “classics” y’all are talking about. But there’s lots of Sakos. Weatherby. Browning etc our there that’ll be tried and true for a long long time and they look the part.

Comment

Loony Toons called, and they want Fudd to go back to the studio

Comment

What’s the modern day equivalent of a classic deer rifle?

I don’t think it has or will change at all. A solid, accurate bolt gun is still relevant and practical for a hunting. I don’t see anything changing that anytime soon.

Every house hold should have both a good deer rifle and an ar15. Multiple of each being preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My dads Savage 99 in 25-35 Winchester that I took my first deer with.

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
                          Wait. The Remington 700, 30.06 that I've been using for only 40 years is a classic??!! Don't seem like its that old......
                          yep...my dad bought me one when I was in high school. I upgraded the scope, but still use it every year. It is one of only 2 rifles that I own. Can only use one at time. lol

Comment

Nothing wrong with a synthetic stock, just don’t like the ones that look like they belong on a bb gun, or the so-called “long range” stocks with the fugly pistol grips and adjustable cheek piece. Walnut and blued steel will always appeal to me more than composite and stainless.

I think the classics of today will remain the classics of the near future, say the next 20 years or so. Personally, although I own several, the ARs will never be “classic” to me. They are simply the best tools for some jobs. I’ve killed two axis does with one of my 6.8s, but they are my go-to rifles for hogs and coyotes. My two cents.

Comment

I'd like to say my tikka hunter will be my kids kids rifle, just like me having my grandpas 3030 and savage 99 in 308.. but then I have to agree with the above I think the budget rifles will end up in their hands.. savage axis, rem 700, ruger American rifles

Comment

I'd like to say my tikka hunter will be my kids kids rifle, just like me having my grandpas 3030 and savage 99 in 308.. but then I have to agree with the above I think the budget rifles will end up in their hands.. savage axis, rem 700, ruger American rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X