• Show
Clear All

Heat, PB Blaster, etc

Comment

Originally posted by PEC View Post
      Kroil
      2nd kroil.

Comment

You can heat the bolt with propane, then let it cool completely, before trying to remove it. Also, I have used impact drivers to free screws and bolts in aluminum, but you have to be very careful or an impact driver will shear the head off. Light taps on the driver will sometimes free it. Often, conventional penetrating fluids don't work well on aluminum.

Comment

It sounds like there has been some galvanic corrosion in the threads between the stainless screws and aluminum brackets. Possibly a little spray cleaner with some ammonia (like 409) will dissolve the corrosion products, after heating them up slightly. I always keep stuff sprayed with Corrosion-X or similar to prevent this.

Comment

Turn them the correct way

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
              It sounds like there has been some galvanic corrosion in the threads between the stainless screws and aluminum brackets. Possibly a little spray cleaner with some ammonia (like 409) will dissolve the corrosion products, after heating them up slightly. I always keep stuff sprayed with Corrosion-X or similar to prevent this.
              This

Comment

Originally posted by youngSLY88 View Post
                Turn them the correct way

Comment

Heat the bolts and let the heat travel through the bracket. Sounds like the aluminum has oxidized and corroded.

Comment

Some heat to the aluminum bracket was successful. Thanks all for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerfeeder View Post
                      Some heat to the aluminum bracket was successful. Thanks all for the help.

Good deal. I was about to say heat the bracket not the bolt because the bracket is what you want to expand to loosen the connection.

This will happen repeatedly so I run my screws in/out and lube them 2x per year.

Comment

Working...
                      X