Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live from Woodbury County, Iowa 2019 (back in Dixon Cty, Nebraska)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making good time...almost made it to Kansas!

Got to watch Kade’s football team beat Hallettsville tonight 16-6 before I left, so the trip started out very successful! He threw two TD passes, the last one a 70 yarder on a quick screen to seal the victory!

Comment

Good luck guys. My money is on Matt he's got the good buck killing mojo on his side.

Comment

Are we hunting this morning or what?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Travis and I are well on our way into Kansas and just stopped for breakfast in North Newton. About 5-1/2 hours to go until we roll into camp![emoji106]

Preparations for this year started literally the day we rolled out of camp last November as we made a punch list of things we wanted to change, stands we wanted to add/move and food plots we wanted to expand.

Plans were made and the last week of July Travis and I were going to fly up to Nebraska to help Dan get some of the items knocked out on our list of stand changes. Unfortunately, Travis’ wife was very sick the week we were due to leave so he was unable to join Dan, Jack and I for the weekend.

First up with the old farmstead where Stolle saw lots of action early in last year’s hunt. Dan added a big alfalfa and turnip food plot and we moved the bow platform out to the middle of the field with a new mobile design

It didn’t take long at all, and the deer were really hammering this spot based on the game cam pics Dan was sending:

Comment

Next we headed to Disc Stand to add a tripod across the food plot for a NW wind that we had for so much of the hunt last year:

Deer have been hammering this food plot with a mix of alfalfa, turnips and peas

Comment

We added a second stand near a pinch point just down from the rub post where we had seen the big drop tine buck last year on the third day of the hunt. Baur had actually seen this buck run right past this spot as the picture was taken:

A mowed path through the tall grass along the marsh area made a perfect travel corridor for the deer to start using

Comment

We added a new stand location between the Pinch Point and Eagles Nest right above the location where the big drop tine buck was first caught on camera and right along the trail where Baur saw him travel a couple of times

It didn’t take long to see this spot was going to be a big producer in terms of buck sightings on camera:

Comment

Live from Dixon County, Nebraska 2019 (formerly Woodbury Cty Iowa hunt)

We moved on over to Eagles Den to build another portable platform for a ground blind to hopefully get a shot closer to where Steve filmed the big 8 from last year on this plot:

Needless to say, with record heat and not much wind, Dan and I were just about spent for the day

Comment

With still more to get done however, Dan and I headed over to Dancefloor to build a new platform in a large burr oak tree along the edge of the pond. This will help with entry and exit as well as wind blowing over the water and is located closer to the merge point between the two major trails where we watched the deer move through this oak flat for the past two seasons.

We were keyed in to this location by seeing an old wooden step in the tree where someone had placed a stand in this very same tree some 20-30 years ago

And Dancefloor certainly did not disappoint in the game cam pic department:

Comment

The last morning we moved over to the Triangle and built a new bow platform in the middle of the alfalfa and turnip plot:

We had a windstorm that blew the blind off the platform about two weeks ago, but Dan was able to make a return trip to get the blind put back up

Comment

Dan continued to set new stands up and modify existing ones:

LB2 (wind storm, rain and mud slide along the bluff knocked down our stand, built new platform in different tree:

Comment

Dan and Tim added another bow platform at a stand close to the main lodge:

And it didn’t take long for the deer to return to their normal routine:

Comment

Game cams are showing lots of promise in year three on this farm. Lots of 3 and 4 year olds with a few mature bucks sprinkled in as well:

Comment

Comment

Good luck guys....new spots look great!

Drill one!

Comment

Working...
                                X