Southeast Iowa Live..Come along for the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southeast Iowa Live..Come along for the season

I hope to take you thru my season here in Iowa. I will be hunting our ground, several of my neighbors farms, and public ground. I will be hunting most everyday at least some. I still have a lot of chores around our farm heading into the winter.

This is my first sit as an Iowa resident. I was planning to start hunting around October 25 but I couldn't wait any longer. Hopefully the "October Lull" is winding down and pre-rut is beginning.

I am in the "Terrace Stand" this evening. I have standing corn to my north, alfalfa/clover mix to my east and oats to my west. I am sitting above a small flowing creek with 3 trails crossing. The wind is light out the north. It's about 55 degrees

Despite what you see on TV and have heard, Iowa hunting is not easy. There is abundant food sources everywhere. It's harvest season and a lot depends on what the farmers are doing. You try to set up using all the Intel from scouting, game cams, observation at dawn and dusk, etc. You never really know which trail the deer are going to come from. Then you have to be fortunate enough to stop them in your shooting lanes and make the shot.

The deer density is not high. The buck to for ratio is great, but the actual number of deer is not high at all compared to parts of Texas.

If you have ever hunted Hagerman you will know what I am describing. This is like hunting Hagerman everyday. The potential for a huge buck is always there. You got to be on your toes every second and also have some good luck.

I will do my best to keep this thread updated.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Any pics of a target buck?

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In, dream of mine to hunt the mid west. Maybe one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm in! The best to ya Mike! Tracy too!

Comment

Just made it back to the house and had dinner. Not a bad first sit. I saw a doe running along the edge of the clover field about 15 minutes before dark. About 2 minutes later a 120" eight point came thru on her trail. When I was getting down I spooked two deer that I could not identify in the greenbelt between the standing corn and the creek. I will give this stand several days rest. Back at it tomorrow in another location.

Comment

Good luck. Break out the horns and crack em as hard as you can. When I hunted around Morovia it was insane

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                Looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Any pics of a target buck?
                Here are a few I have been watching.

The biggest buck of these (13 point) has already broke off his G3 on the right side.[emoji853]

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 10-19-2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Couple of studs there...good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by whackem and stackem View Post
                    Good luck. Break out the horns and crack em as hard as you can. When I hunted around Morovia it was insane
                    We are about 20 miles from Moravia. I hunted here as a nonresident in 2017. Yes. The bucks really respond to rattling and decoys. Around November 1st....it will get crazy.

Comment

In for this...best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        I'm in! The best to ya Mike! Tracy too!
                        Thank you Mike !!! It's going to be fun.

Comment

Good luck! Hunting Iowa is a dream!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Following...Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X