Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
    Works of art my friend.

My father was a tanker with the 9th Armored Division during WWII. He commanded a Sherman M4 105.
    I’ve never built a tank before but I hope to build one to duplicate his some day. It won’t look near as good as yours though.
    Mad skills sir.
    Thank you! It’s amazing what an airbrush and good acrylic model paints can do to one’s painting game! When I got back in the Hobby I was blown away with some of the new paints available .

Thanks to your father for his service! Since we are on the subject of Shermans… I can honestly say I’ve never actually built a Sherman tank model!!! And believe me, there are a lot of Sherman tank variants available including the M4!

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
      Thank you! It’s amazing what an airbrush and good acrylic model paints can do to one’s painting game! When I got back in the Hobby I was blown away with some of the new paints available .

Thanks to your father for his service! Since we are on the subject of Shermans… I can honestly say I’ve never actually built a Sherman tank model!!! And believe me, there are a lot of Sherman tank variants available including the M4!

This was my fathers tank. That big 105 mm hug took out a panzer in a one on one during the battle of the bulge.
      That’s my ol’man on the far right.

Lucille will get built some day.

Comment

Awesome picture

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
          Wow great paint work
          Exactly what I was thinking! Knocked it out of the park!

Comment

This isn't a highly detailed accurate scale model but I did carve it from scratch.
            I used to work for the Texas Airplane Factory where we built 6 ME262's

Comment

This was my fathers tank. That big 105 mm hug took out a panzer in a one on one during the battle of the bulge.
              That’s my ol’man on the far right.

Lucille will get built some day.
              When you do… go with this kit. It looks pretty close to your dad’s tank, is a newer kit and is made by Tamiya (which are very good quality kits). Also… cool pic, was that taken before they were fighting? Tank and men look clean!

Click image for larger version

Name:	6D973B04-3978-49BB-8B6F-8ACC0CDCEE0B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	24653725

Comment

Another thread about model ships got me to wondering if there were other modelers around here. If so, show off your work.

Like a lot of guys, when I was a kid, I built model airplanes. Plastic mostly.
                I built some WWII planes but my main focus was on WWI aircraft.
                There’s just something about those primitive planes, and the men that flew them, that was special.
                It was a heroic, bold, adventurous time for both man and machine.

This is one of my planes.
                The Albatros D. II

I always considered this to be the best looking fighter of the war. Unfortunately it was not the best performer.
                This was one of many fighters that Manfred Albrecht von Richthofen, aka The Red Baron, flew to become the leading ace of WWI.
                This particular model is made of balsa wood and paper. I don’t use kits. I go online and find the blueprints for what I want to build. Then I have the prints size to the wing span I want to build too. Custom cut the balsa wood to the blueprint specifications and put it together.

I also make the wheels and engine from scratch. They are made from a high density foam that is very light. I carve and sand the individual pieces and then assemble.
                This a reasonable facsimile of the Mercedes engine that was in this fighter. I was able to find the blueprints on line for this engine.

Behind the engine are the twin Spandau machine guns also made the same way.
                This plane was built for rubber band flight. I never could get her trimmed out well enough to fly the way I wanted her to so I made her into a static display.

Thanks for looking. I’ll post more at a later date but I’d like to see if any else can show off some work.
                Very cool, really nice work.

As a kid in the 70’s I did a lot of modes, like you mostly WW2 era planes, some from Vietnam era and I think the most memorable one was a WW1 bi-plane. Skinning the wings in the paper was a tough task, getting it tight and not loose and sloppy. I could never do a good job, I tried some PVC glue or primer my dad had in the garage and coated the paper in that, it really drew up the paper and made it finally look good.

Thanks for posting. I’m sure this is good therapy also, taking the time to pay attention to all the little details.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                  When you do… go with this kit. It looks pretty close to your dad’s tank, is a newer kit and is made by Tamiya (which are very good quality kits). Also… cool pic, was that taken before they were fighting? Tank and men look clean!
                  Yes sir, that was taken just before they shipped out.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                    Very cool, really nice work.

As a kid in the 70’s I did a lot of modes, like you mostly WW2 era planes, some from Vietnam era and I think the most memorable one was a WW1 bi-plane. Skinning the wings in the paper was a tough task, getting it tight and not loose and sloppy. I could never do a good job, I tried some PVC glue or primer my dad had in the garage and coated the paper in that, it really drew up the paper and made it finally look good.

Thanks for posting. I’m sure this is good therapy also, taking the time to pay attention to all the little details.
                    Applying the paper can be a little tedious but I have a method that works well for me.
                    I use permanent glue stick in small sections of the ribs and spars and gently put the paper down in sections, smoothing as I go. The wing tips are done individually as the paper will not be able to make the transition without wrinkles. I always do the bottom of the wing first. When I trim the paper, I like to leave about an eighth inch of paper all the way around the structure. I then make tiny slices in the paper so that when I glue those flanges down they will lay flat around the curves.
                    I then lightly, very lightly, spritz the material with water and let it dry. This really tightens the paper.
                    If it’s a wing, I’ll pin it down to keep it from warping. After its dried, spray it lightly with a acrylic enamel.

Comment

This was my first wood ship model i built from a kit
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wow, nice ship, talk about tedious.

Comment

and here is one i made from scratch after seeing this one in port
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very nice work.
                            My dad loved the old sailing ships and built a few. I remember the details required to put them together.

Comment

What’s the secret to getting the riggings tight?

Comment

very nice, wish i had the patience

Comment

Working...
                                X