Braised Ginuea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braised Ginuea

File this recipe under....I won't be hearing that ******* bird anymore. haha

I can't say I ever thought I would be cooking a Ginuea, but man am i glad my neighbor decided to bring one home. For the first month I was pleasantly reminded by what sounded like a car alarm going off every morning and at night. Then one day the Ginuea decided he would invite himself over to my place and start cackling. Well I had about enough of that so I pulled out my bow and quickly took care of the noise maker.

I'm not much for wasting anything so I decided to hang it in my shop fridge for a few days to age. I didnt know what to expect in terms of meat so I was surprised to see white meat when I cut out the breasts and legs.

The recipe was simple with sauteing some shallots with a little butter, salt and pepper. I then lightly dusted the legs and breast in some flour and added them to the pan. I added a little chicken stock to the pan then put the lid on the pan and finished in the oven at 325 for an hour. ( the breast were done in about 15-20min so I took those out and let the legs continue to cook). It was a tasty bird but i hope its the last one. If not then i will incorporate ginuea into my diet more often.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jason85; 02-28-2019, 02:38 PM.

That actually looks pretty good. I'm pretty sure the stuff they called chicken in Africa and fed us was this stuff. Different that's for sure.

Comment

Looks good to me !

Comment

Looks pretty good. My parents' neighbors own peacocks so I can fully understand. Mom/Dad have 3 drahts and the neighbors, a few less peacocks.

Did you add chicken stock or supplement the dish with chicken?

On the way to the lease, I pass a house that has guineas in the yard. Always wondered what they taste like.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
          Looks pretty good. My parents' neighbors own peacocks so I can fully understand. Mom/Dad have 3 drahts and the neighbors, a few less peacocks.

Did you add chicken stock or supplement the dish with chicken?

On the way to the lease, I pass a house that has guineas in the yard. Always wondered what they taste like.
          Yea I meant to say I added chicken stock to the pan. They taste almost identical to chicken. If I had a dog that bird wouldn't of lasted a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
            Yea I meant to say I added chicken stock to the pan. They taste almost identical to chicken. If I had a dog that bird wouldn't of lasted a month.
            I'm surprised it lasted that long without a dog I hope your poor neighbor isn't putting up "lost guinea" posters

Comment

I'm surprised it lasted that long without a dog I hope your poor neighbor isn't putting up "lost guinea" posters
              haha... No these are the type of neighbors who don't take care of their animals. I just had both (18yr old female and 19 boyfriend) taken to jail by the sheriff's office. She went at him with a knife but that was before i saw the boyfriend push her to ground and call her every name in the book.

Comment

Have a friend that cold smokes them and puts in a gumbo

Comment

Originally posted by Ilik2hunt View Post
                  Have a friend that cold smokes them and puts in a gumbo
                  I bet that is good!

Comment

Guinea gumbo is good stuff. That blue meated sucka makes a rich but good gumbo.

Comment

Looks very delicious, maybe will try for tomorrow dinner

Comment

I didn't know you could eat those things. Are they related to gerbils?

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                          If gerbils have white meat like a guinea then count me in...lol jk. I didn't know you could either but im always willing to try something once. It's a good eating bird

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                            Lol is my sarcasm meter busted?

Comment

Lol is my sarcasm meter busted?

Comment

Working...
                              X