No announcement yet.

Offshore boats..... tell me the pros and the cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah boats have gotten out of control ^^^^^ now days, millions of boats around the world
    Are making trips on a single engine and never think twice ,in Texas it is rather humbling to be @ a 30knot cruise and
    Some guy comes blasting by @ 50 knots with 3 300hp ( LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by jhunter77 View Post
      I threw 60 out as the farthest I would consider on a calm day....30mph that's 2 hours out. That's about my max time offshore. That's a decent weather window If something pops up that was not in the weather forecast or radar when you headed out.
      Yup - there's a few spots in that range from Port A, that have some seriously big fish - a few of us tied into a few years ago out there - a bit over 60 miles. Put a 400lb swordfish in the boat with three smaller fish.

And any boat that is sized to run safely, 150 mile round trip (60 out 60 in and buffer) with the fuel load to do it, puts you into water deep enough for these swordfish.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
        Yup - there's a few spots in that range from Port A, that have some seriously big fish - a few of us tied into a few years ago out there - a bit over 60 miles. Put a 400lb swordfish in the boat with three smaller fish.

And any boat that is sized to run safely, 150 mile round trip (60 out 60 in and buffer) with the fuel load to do it, puts you into water deep enough for these swordfish.

Sword fish, ask Chase This about catching catfish, he knows what's up. I only catch the little ones he leaves behind

Comment

Century boats and Pangas

I bet most here, never knew, Yamaha owned them both?

Panga's were designed and built by Yamaha - during the late 60s = to sell and influence island and coastal third world countries, with boats that can and will, bust out thru the surf and over a shallow inshore coastal reef, fish for food offshore and return.

PANGA BOATS ARE A YAMAHA MARINE DIVISION IDEA AND INVENTION and they in turn, became the front runners of providing engines and hulls, for all coastal fishing people of the world, in tropical coastal zones. The boat of choice running the surf and offshore scenes along the Pacific coat of Mexico all the way down to Argentina.

And by gosh - that is exactly what transpired!

And Century boats, was Yamaha's offshore boat division, back in those days as well. DUKE was a Yamaha powered, rigged and outfitted boat, by YAMAHA's CENTURY MARINE DIVISION.

Comment

Thats a lot of private charters worth of boat.

Comment

I have had two small offshore hulls. Both single engine with a 15 kicker on a bracket. Both very limited and can really only fish short- less than 45 miles or so. Fuel and ride are two big factors. Plus fish box space is limited compared to say a 27 or 31. I was fortunate I worked and could plan fishing trips the day before and leave. Fished several times a month.

Within the next year or two I will get serious looking for a hull I like. I will have it repainted and storage added where I want. Ill repower and hang new electronics, add rocket launchers
              Last edited by glen; 07-30-2021, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X